Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 1.3 KA coolant drain

FordSpanner

As always, the bottom hose drains the rad off but what's an effective way to drain the block and heater matrix?

I like to purge the system of the old antifreeze but refilling!

Does the system self bleed the air out through the header tank with the engine running when refilling?

thanks

• 1 month later...

Attempted the job of antifreezing today but one of the thermostat housing spouts (heater matrix) is partly broken off so it needs a new housing.

Are these housings prone to breaking?   ... it wasn't me that broke it so curious if they are a weak part!

Hi, yes the stat housing becomes very brittle after a while, better to change the whole unit out as they come complete with new stat and gasket with the housing.

I changed mine at the same time I changed the HCV as a matter of precaution, then back flushed the system with clean water before replacing the coolant, and yes it vents through the expansion tank but I always squeeze the hoses aswell just to help purge any trapped air.

Its a well known trait....

Have sourced some new units on eBay around the £13/£14 price so may go for that option.

Will try to source locally tomorrow from a motor factor or perhaps Ford, depending on main dealer price.

Don't be tempted to buy cheap as you may very well live to regret it and have to change items again after a short period of time....

Got the assembly from a local reputable motor factor. Didn't really trust the cheapees on eBay!

Job was quite reasonable to do and the KA is now back on the road.

Thanks for posting!

Why do a lot of folk think dropping the bottom rad hose of is sufficient to clear the system of old coolant?

I've always taken the heater matrix pipes off, one at a time, and flushed through both ways with water. This helps flush the block out too,

I usually take the expansion bottle off as well and give that a good shake out with water in the sink.

You can actually do a coolant flush with the engine warm, provided you use hot water for flush and refill. The concentrate can be warmed in the microwave.

• 11 months later...

Sadly, a leak has developed on the top side of the stat housing I fitted!

Its lasted a year.

oil in the coolant header tank due to too much overheating to it looks like a head gasket job now.

Its the A9A/A9B Duratec engine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club