Do Not Sell My Personal Information

White smoke/steam when idling and warm engine

terbe

Hi all, 

I'm just trying to get some more opinions on a potential issue i have noticed. I have a 2018 Ford Fiesta had it for about 5 months. This week I noticed, when sitting in traffic, I have white smoke/steam coming from my exhaust, its not fogs and probably similar to what you would get with a cold start on a cold day, but the engine is warm. I have explained the issue to my dealer over the phone and they said its caused by the cold weather. 

I would expect it on first start but is it still possible once the engine is warm? 

I have no performance loss, no warning lights, engine sounds good, high revs are fine turbo kicks in and sounds fine and feels fine. Engine seems great. No coolant loss that I've noticed, temps good and no white oil. I've done a sniff test on the exhaust, as suggested online, and to me, not really a major car enthusiast, it smells like normal exhaust fumes. 

As I've only spoken to the dealer over the phone I'm going to take it to them tomorrow so they can see what I'm trying to explain. 

What are your thoughts? Can a new warm engine still give off steam? My last car was a 2013 KA and I don't remember seeing this. 

I could just be looking for a problem because it's new etc. 

I would appreciate any thoughts people have. I am going to take it into the dealer tomorrow or Saturday, just to double check all is good. 

Drive to work which is maybe 15 miles. Drive home. Sometimes do longer journeys but mostly that's it. Engine gets to operating temperature as well. 

Should probably add as well that a big chunk of the journey is on a 60 a road. Only the beginning and end is town driving. 

Just noticed mine doing the same in this weather (after 1hour+ driving) and was wondering the same as you - guess it's normal....?

Oh really. Same thing optimal engine temp, notice it more at idle etc. Assuming it's the 2018 fiesta? Maybe it is normal. 

Yep, after 40 miles/ 1 hour driving, 2018 fiesta, everything else fine exactly as you described.

Hmm maybe it's just a thing it does. Gonna go to the dealer still see what they say. Will let you know 👍

Thanks - I was also rather surprised that it would do this when warmed up.

It's normal in this very damp weather we're having atm, the engine is sucking in a load of water vapour along with the air so it just comes out of the exhaust as steam.  Not an issue. :smile: 

• Like 2

So just got back from the dealer, one of their mechanics had a look. And yeah it's normal. Apparently the eco boost engines get very hot and as Tom said the cold weather is causing steam to come out. 

Unless it's very dense white smoke apparently its normal. 👍👍

Just seamed odd to me as last car didn't do it and I don't see others do it. But the pros know best lol. Although I didn't have an eco boost last time. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/1/2018 at 7:14 PM, terbe said:

Hi all, 

I'm just trying to get some more opinions on a potential issue i have noticed. I have a 2018 Ford Fiesta had it for about 5 months. This week I noticed, when sitting in traffic, I have white smoke/steam coming from my exhaust, its not fogs and probably similar to what you would get with a cold start on a cold day, but the engine is warm. I have explained the issue to my dealer over the phone and they said its caused by the cold weather. 

I would expect it on first start but is it still possible once the engine is warm? 

I have no performance loss, no warning lights, engine sounds good, high revs are fine turbo kicks in and sounds fine and feels fine. Engine seems great. No coolant loss that I've noticed, temps good and no white oil. I've done a sniff test on the exhaust, as suggested online, and to me, not really a major car enthusiast, it smells like normal exhaust fumes. 

As I've only spoken to the dealer over the phone I'm going to take it to them tomorrow so they can see what I'm trying to explain. 

What are your thoughts? Can a new warm engine still give off steam? My last car was a 2013 KA and I don't remember seeing this. 

I could just be looking for a problem because it's new etc. 

I would appreciate any thoughts people have. I am going to take it into the dealer tomorrow or Saturday, just to double check all is good. 

6 minutes ago, Neil23 said:

White smoke when engine warm and I have a hesitation at 2500rpm in 2nd gear, cars - Change from 1st gear into 2nd gear and accelerate and it hesitates. Car has been back to Ford dealer were they downloaded a software update, and car was perfect for 3-4 weeks and has now return to smoking when warm and hesitating. Thanks 

Keep an eye on your coolant, does the level of it change and require topping up? If you smell your exhaust does it smell sweet like coolant? These are things I would check.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club