Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust filter limit reached - on petrol car?

Morty40

I have had my all-new Focus for 4 weeks, has done 750 miles. Tonight an alert came up "Exhaust filter limit reached. drive to clean now". I looked it up and it applies to diesel engines,  but mine is petrol!  I hit Ok and message cleared, has not come back yet. I can't get to a garage now until after the weekend,  is it safe to drive?

Unfortunately participate filters are now being fitted to petrol also. Not experienced one yet, but understood that theoretically they should not need to re-gen as often due  to running hotter than a diesel. I assume the same applies as with a diesel, take it for a decent drive to get things good and hot. Don't see why it should be unsafe to drive, perhaps one of our resident techies could confirm?

• Like 1

Many thanks I have only been doing short drives so far, good excuse to take it for a nice long trip at the weekend!

Petrol particulate filters are now becoming a thing, mainly due to the switch to direct injection and tighter emissions limits on the latest engines. Same procedure applies to clean them out- good blast down a motorway to get things hot and burned off.

• Like 1

I'm surprised the salesman didn't make you aware of the GPF when buying the car?  They're a very recent thing so most people won't know.

750 miles in 4 weeks seems a good mileage also, what type of driving do you do out of interest?  Unless you're a courier/carer doing constant short runs I'd expect that mileage to be high enough to keep it clear.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Snap! Exactly the same message on my new 1.0 eco boost petrol. It first occurred 5 weeks in when I’d driven about 720 miles, and comes on a mile into every journey I make now. My typical journey (to work) is 11 miles, but the joy of driving my new focus is being spoilt by this very irritating message. 

So, if I go for a long blast down the motorway to hopefully clear this silly message, will it come on again in another 700 miles of normal driving to and from work?

2 hours ago, Brian. said:

So, if I go for a long blast down the motorway to hopefully clear this silly message, will it come on again in another 700 miles of normal driving to and from work?

Probably...  With such new tech there just isn't an answer for this yet.  It may be worse first time because of running in, or it may just be your driving style.  Make sure you let us know if and when it does reoccur so we can build up a better idea for future. :smile:

• Like 1

Wow! This is the 1st I have heard about  these petrol particulate filters .

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the technical info I had seen suggested these should not be an issue - it looks as if this is not the case.

Quite concerned about this myself now. We swapped back to petrol some time ago when our useage/mileage dropped off, due to dpf worries and being unable to justify extra cost of diesel. My Mrs in particular does very little total mileage and mostly short journeys but she has a condition which causes mobility issues so the car is a bit of a lifeline for her. An electric car would be ideal for her use but not at the current silly prices, so we are going to have to hang on to her car as long as possible in the hope that the costs fall in time.

Some of the diesels now also show a message informing the driver the percentage dpf full but that's usually in the cluster menu and not a direct message popping up. I wouldn't have thought the gpf was going to be an issue on petrol engines. We shall have to wait and see how many forum members give feedback on there experiences. 

I’m off out for a long run today so let’s see if that clears it........for the time being at least!

Was wondering if this was just affecting the revised 1.0 ecoboost - don't seem to have seen any mention on this or other forums relating to the new 1.5 triple. Similarly the oil pressure switch issue mentioned in another thread only seems to have cropped up on the 1.0 so far?

My guess would be that these 'Exhaust filter limit reached' are probably sensor faults rather that actual high filter load conditions.

GPFs SHOULD regenerate continuously under normal conditions

There's a good description here https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/emissions/the-gasoline-particulate-filter-faq  

From that it would seem that if it really is a high filter load condition then a run with extended deceleration periods is probably the best cleaning method.

Anyway I hope it's not a general problem, I'm about to take delivery of a new Focus, albeit it's the 1.5 Ecoboost! Not sure if that has a GPF since it's a combination of port and direct injection so less of a particulate problem than the 1.0 which is fully GDI I believe.

Could be they've bought a batch of dud sensors as well as oil pressure switches!😀

...and there's also the Brake Pedal recall 18U33, for recently built cars https://talkford.com/community/topic/389089-mk4-focus-brake-pedal-torque-recall-18u33-serious-safety-issue/

I bought my new shape Focus in September 2018 all has been fine until December and then this same warning came on the display with an audible alarm "Exhaust filter at limit Drive now". The car has only done 1100 miles but with a mix of journey distances, i bought this car for economy dropping down from a 1600cc TiVCT focus but it sounds as though every time I get this warning I have to take the car out for a run down the motorway not very economical ?

Even after a long run the next day the warning can appear after a mile, could it be that the calibration of the sensor is in error as a previous entry suggests.

I will have a word with the dealership.

20 hours ago, ianincheshire said:

There's a good description here https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/emissions/the-gasoline-particulate-filter-faq  

From that it would seem that if it really is a high filter load condition then a run with extended deceleration periods is probably the best cleaning method.

That's an interesting article, though it sounds counter-intuitive to those of us old enough to have been brought up to give it an "Italian tune-up" to clear out all the muck!😀

20 hours ago, ianincheshire said:

My guess would be that these 'Exhaust filter limit reached' are probably sensor faults rather that actual high filter load conditions.

GPFs SHOULD regenerate continuously under normal conditions

Anyway I hope it's not a general problem, I'm about to take delivery of a new Focus, albeit it's the 1.5 Ecoboost! Not sure if that has a GPF since it's a combination of port and direct injection so less of a particulate problem than the 1.0 which is fully GDI I believe.

Yes, the 1.5EB does come with a GPF, both on the Mk4 Focus and the Mk8 Fiesta ST.

When DPFs first came out, we were told that they'd passively regenerate on a motorway trip and only need active regeneration when that didn't occur, it doesn't happen in the real world though so I won't be at all surprised to find out GPFs cause more trouble than the manufacturers currently claim.  Should still be better for short trips than a DPF though.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, the 1.5EB does come with a GPF, both on the Mk4 Focus and the Mk8 Fiesta ST.

Looks like there's no escaping the things, at least on a Ford. I was wondering if Mazda's new Skyactiv-X compression/spark ignition petrol came with a gpf. Found plenty of articles about it, but none so far that have mentioned gpf.

Interesting that I haven't seen a mention of gpf issues on the 1.5 yet and there are plenty of ST's around now.

I think the tree huggers are winning. All petrol cars will need PF to meet latest tight controls. My Mondeo (2005) is only Euro 3 compliant. See how legislation races on. I think new direct injection has made the problem worse for petrol cars and produces more particulates but more efficient engine. I shall carry on with my old technology until it is not worth repairing , a long ,long way away. I would hope manufacturers have learnt from the diesel equivalents to improve on PF design but have little faith. Bodge it and sell it . After a short warranty it is your problem, not theirs. But you will be able to get a Crit'air certificate and drive in Khan's Ultra Low Emission Zone for free which I cannot in my Mondeo 2l ptrol.

I took my car out for a 100 mile blast round north Northumberland yesterday. Since then I’ve made 4 short journeys today (38 miles total) and no message 👍🏻. However, I’m not convinced it won’t pop back up again so I’m keeping a log of all my journeys.

• Like 1

Interesting that I haven't seen a mention of gpf issues on the 1.5 yet and there are plenty of ST's around now.

I believe that the 1.5 uses a combination of port and direct(GDI) injection whereas the 1.0 is fully GDI. Port injection produces less particulates than GDI so maybe the 1.5 is more capable of keeping the PF clean during normal passive regeneration.

• Like 1

This sort of info is hard to track down amongst some of the headline "blurb" about cylinder deactivation etc but I think that's the case. Presumably also the valves would be less prone to carbon build up than in a straight DI engine.

Spoken to a few Ford dealerships and the response is that Particulate Filters are in Diesel vehicles not petrol, obviously the forward plan training by Fords has not been done in the dealerships.

Thought I might speak to the Technical Department of Fords UK on 0906 5533447, you may have noticed this is a Premium rate number charged at £1 per minute so I will not be calling that number.

Still the warning keeps popping up usually a mile into a journey thankfully still resets.

21 minutes ago, Minstrel said:

Thought I might speak to the Technical Department of Fords UK on 0906 5533447, you may have noticed this is a Premium rate number charged at £1 per minute so I will not be calling that number.

You could try 01206 202040, I think that ends up in the same place as the premium rate number 😊

• Like 1