Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust filter limit reached - on petrol car?

Morty40

I’ve just picked my car up from the dealer due to the petrol exhaust filter. Had the car (focus mk4 titanium 1.0) for 5 weeks, exhaust filter warning started about two weeks ago, then got to the point where it was appearing every day. My journey to work is main A roads for about 20 miles each way, so it gets a good run every day.
The car was booked to go in for them to look at it, but the day before on my way to work it went into limp home mode. Car was recovered to the dealer, who have done a static regen on the filter.
I’m not convinced this has ultimately solved the problem, personally I think this will be a short term fix and I can see myself back at the dealer again in a few weeks. There must be some underlying problem that is causing the filter not to regen automatically.
Plus the fact that I also suffered from the oil pressure switch problem, it means that for the 5 weeks I’ve owned the car, it’s been back at the dealer for over a week. I think I’ll be taking this up with Ford directly now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the 1.5 EB with GPF in my Fiesta.

Haven't had any of these errors, but then maybe being an ST I open it up a bit more.

I used to have DPF problems on previous diesels, my journeys aren't particularly long, takes 11 mins each way if I don't get held up, I've done over 4000 miles now.

Even on short journeys, GPF are much harder to restrict than DPF as petrol produces less soot and runs hotter. It requires much less pressure and heat from an active regen to keep it clean.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I've got the 1.5 EB with GPF in my Fiesta.

Haven't had any of these errors, but then maybe being an ST I open it up a bit more.

That's good to know, Alex. Not liking anything I'm hearing about the revised 1.0 ecoboost at the moment, but I was looking to move back to a bigger engine when the time comes to change anyway - all this is making me think that's a good idea. 

Btw - and off topic I know - how are you getting on with the ST seats and suspension comfort wise, now it's done a few thousand miles?

My journey to work is main A roads for about 20 miles each way, so it gets a good run every day.

There's no way that a GPF should be giving problems with that sort of mileage!, it should be passively regenerating without any problem. My daily (well only 3 days a week for the last year!) drive is 25 miles on combination of rural A road, urban A road with traffic lights and a bit of motorway. I've had diesels with DPF for the last 8 years and not had any DPF issues(touch wood!). There's some underlying fault which is causing these cars to show problems and dealers/Ford need to get to the bottom of it rather than just glossing over it with a static regen

On 1/9/2019 at 3:35 PM, pcaouolte said:

You could try 01206 202040, I think that ends up in the same place as the premium rate number 😊

Thanks for that will try on Monday.

Unfortunately this number (01206 202040) takes you to an automated answer calling itself "Prior Approval" no mention in their list of options of Ford Tech support.

I will just keep trying to find somebody who has some answers about Petrol particulate Filters and their limit issues.

Hello. That is supposedly somekind of software problem and ford is aware of it. They are working on the solution, but have no idea when it's ready. At least that's what they are saying to us in finland

Hi I have the new focus since oct 3200 miles on and the same message has come up? Has anyone found a solution? Will ring dealship tomorrow 

The regen on a petrol needs a hot engine just like a diesel. Unfortunately the ecoboost is that efficient it does take quite a journey to fully warm up. My old style MK3 focus 1.0 takes upwards of 9 miles before the thermostat opens when it's cold outside. 

So if someone does short journeys the gpf will not regen . Over time the filter reaches its trigger point for the message to display. If ignored the display will change to gpf service now or similar , then it has to go to dealer for a static regen . 

That's the joys of the latest euro emmisions. I doubt any other manufacturers cars will be any different. 

I imagine there may be a software update at some point to alter the triggers for displaying the message. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks have only being doing short distances recently school runs etc. Took it a blast up the motor way this morning n seems to have resolved the issue.

15 hours ago, iantt said:

The regen on a petrol needs a hot engine just like a diesel. Unfortunately the ecoboost is that efficient it does take quite a journey to fully warm up. My old style MK3 focus 1.0 takes upwards of 9 miles before the thermostat opens when it's cold outside. 

So if someone does short journeys the gpf will not regen . Over time the filter reaches its trigger point for the message to display. If ignored the display will change to gpf service now or similar , then it has to go to dealer for a static regen . 

That's the joys of the latest euro emmisions. I doubt any other manufacturers cars will be any different. 

I imagine there may be a software update at some point to alter the triggers for displaying the message. 

It shouldn't ever be as much trouble as a diesel though, petrol exhaust gases are hotter, they produce less soot, so it doesn't require quite as much "extra effort" to get them to regen.

• Like 1

Snap got the focus and at just under 800 mile the exhaust warning came on. I took it to the dealership who could not find a fault. 100 mile later it came on again. I booked it into the dealership but due to the holidays they could not have it until today, I already had a long trip planed for the weekend just gone. ( so it has gone in today with a clear filter). On Friday I drove 100 miles up the motorway (which was clear due to the time I was travelling) I stopped at a services and when I started the engine the warning came back on. It has not been on since Friday. It took over 100 mile of motorway driving to clear the filter. 

As it is now clear the dealership say it is ok. I feel they missed the point of it took over 100 mile to clear it 

At the beginning of January this warning message first appeared. I have had my Focus since Sept2018 and my mileage at the beginning of January was 1550approx. The message disappeared after 2-3 miles into the journey and didn't reappear until a week later. During that time drove over 100 miles including  couple of journeys on the motorway. Since then it has come on each time I drive, around 1 mile into the journey and disappears after 5 miles.

As I am retired I don't do a daily commute but I do use the car for journeys of around 20 miles and have done a few long distance motorway journeys.

I took it to my local dealership last week and they contacted Ford, whose technicians advised them they were aware of the issue, but until the fault was resolved and a bulletin issued by Ford, my dealership can take no action. All I can do is continue to drive as previously and take the car on the motorway and avoid short journeys i.e 8 to 9 miles, which I have done and despite this the message reappears.

I have contacted Ford about this and as soon as I hear back I'll post an update. Don't hold out much hope to hear anything positive soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

At the beginning of January this warning message first appeared. I have had my Focus since Sept2018 and my mileage at the beginning of January was 1550approx. The message disappeared after 2-3 miles into the journey and didn't reappear until a week later. During that time drove over 100 miles including  couple of journeys on the motorway. Since then it has come on each time I drive, around 1 mile into the journey and disappears after 5 miles.
As I am retired I don't do a daily commute but I do use the car for journeys of around 20 miles and have done a few long distance motorway journeys.
I took it to my local dealership last week and they contacted Ford, whose technicians advised them they were aware of the issue, but until the fault was resolved and a bulletin issued by Ford, my dealership can take no action. All I can do is continue to drive as previously and take the car on the motorway and avoid short journeys i.e 8 to 9 miles, which I have done and despite this the message reappears.
I have contacted Ford about this and as soon as I hear back I'll post an update. Don't hold out much hope to hear anything positive soon. 

Hi Stanley,

The dealer should really be doing a static regen in it for you. Without this you run the risk of the car going into limp home mode as mine did, especially as your journeys aren’t particularly long.
If I were you, I’d be back on the phone to them.

• Thanks 1

Hi, I have the same issue. Only done 800 miles in Focus Titanium. The dealer said I shouldn’t do short journeys! Really?

they said if the car (exhaust filter) is damaged because of this it will negate my warranty!!

error message comes up 4 /7 days a week. I can’t spend time driving down the nearest motorway to clear the filter. 

Is this something Ford should be investigating? 

Car booked into dealer next week but don’t hold out much hope they can resolve.

• Confused 1

Hi, I have the same issue. Only done 800 miles in Focus Titanium. The dealer said I shouldn’t do short journeys! Really?
they said if the car (exhaust filter) is damaged because of this it will negate my warranty!!
error message comes up 4 /7 days a week. I can’t spend time driving down the nearest motorway to clear the filter. 

Hi Andy,

Your dealer is talking ****.

There is clearly a fault here, from what I’ve heard it is software related.

When it goes into the dealer, they should be doing a static regen to clear the filter. Although this is only a temporary fix until Ford fix the problem with a software update, it should give another 800ish miles before the problem reappears.

Not what you expect from a brand new car!

• Like 1

silly question. Does anyone now if Ford are investigating this?

silly question. Does anyone now if Ford are investigating this?

I believe they, although they are being very quiet about it.

I have emailed Ford UK as my car has suffered from this filter problem and the oil pressure switch failure, but they are not responding to me. Great customer service!!

15 hours ago, andy2086 said:

I believe they, although they are being very quiet about it.

I have emailed Ford UK as my car has suffered from this filter problem and the oil pressure switch failure, but they are not responding to me. Great customer service!!

Ford (like most automative manufacturers) ae ALWAYS quiet when investigating things that will likely cost them money.

I didn't bother contacting Ford Customer service about this issue, as previously got in touch with a query about the tailgate lights  on the new Focus and was given duff information. Instead gone old school and written to Andy Barratt, MD and Chairman of Ford UK. While I don't expect a reply direct from him, it will be interesting to learn if a response and explanation is written on his behalf. In the meantime we've a couple of longish journeys around 50/60 miles on motorway planned in the next 2 weeks and then off to my dealership at the beginning of Feb.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:52 PM, Andyr55 said:

Interesting article in this week's "Autocar" where the dealer had adopted a similar attitude towards one of their team. The car in question was a diesel Insignia but the principle is the same - and I bet their staff cannot be accused of not driving hard enough. The article is mainly about dpf, but carries the warning "Drive a petrol car? You could be next".😱

reply received from Ford, didn't read my question about this issue, just suggested I book my car in my local DEALER.

this is done and I will report any news. 

An update on my car ( petrol 1.0 ecoboost ). Since my last post I’ve recorded the number of miles on every journey made, noting in bold when the exhaust message came on:

6th jan - 88, 12.         919 total

7th jan - 8, 8, 11, 11    957

8th jan - 10, 10, 3.      980

9th jan - 11, 13.           1004

10th jan - 9, 10           1023

11th jan - 9, 9              1041

12th jan - 9, 9             1058

13th jan - 13, 17, 9     1097

14th jan - 11, 10         1118

15th jan - 11, 11         1140

16th jan - 1.5, 1.5        1143

17th jan - 56               1199

18th jan - 11, 11         1221

19th jan - 12, 11          1244

20th jan - 12, 11          1267

21st jan - 11, 11           1288

22nd jan - 9, 8            1306

24th jan - 11, 11           1328

25th jan - 11, 11           1350

26th jan - 10, 11           1371

27th jan - 11, 18           1400

My journey on 6th jan finally cleared the message that had constantly come on since about the 720 mile mark. But after only 13 journeys and 120 miles it came back, and mostly came on every journey even after a 56 mile blast.

On 19th the message came on as I turned the ignition on. For some reason I put it into sport mode for the first time ever and drove to work. Sport mode on the way home and no message. I’ve put it in sport mode every journey since and never had the message again. Strange?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club