Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust filter limit reached - on petrol car?

Morty40

On 2/3/2019 at 1:49 PM, iantt said:

I keep thinking maybe I could get a new focus , but every week I get put off by issues you don't all see , and my old MK3 seems  more appealing to keep longer. 

Maybe when the MK4 has been out a 18months I might reconsider. 

I am not asking any questions, you have just confirmed my view that I should hang on to my Mk 2.5 for a good while yet.

Thanks Ian,

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 2

Hi, Our new Focus 1.0 Ecoboost keeps bringing the exhaust filter warning light up. Spoke to a Ford tech and he said take it for a decent drive to clear (this was 3 weeks ago). We have tried all different styles of driving to clear it but every journey it brings it up. I've booked it in with Ford to do a diagnostic check on it. We've had it from new since September and have covered 1600 miles. I'll update on what they find.

Interested to hear what your dealer says?

i did a journey of 70 miles mostly on the motorway and the following day the error message appeared!!

my dealer said there was no issues located. 

On 1/23/2019 at 5:56 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Interesting article in this week's "Autocar" where the dealer had adopted a similar attitude towards one of their team. The car in question was a diesel Insignia but the principle is the same - and I bet their staff cannot be accused of not driving hard enough. The article is mainly about dpf, but carries the warning "Drive a petrol car? You could be next".😱

Excellent letter in "Autocar" this week in response to the above item. @Stanley Focus was this you? If so - nice one👍

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Excellent letter in "Autocar" this week in response to the above item. @Stanley Focus was this you? If so - nice one👍

I did email Autocar after you mentioned the article, just to make them aware  but didn't expect it to be published.  I'll have a look at the issue to see if it was my email. Since then I've done a couple of 60 mile+ journeys including motorway driving and message hasn't reappeared. Had an appointment at my dealership on Monday(to fix a Field service Action issued by Ford for my Focus - Touch Condition between Fuel and Vacuum Line) and they did a diagnostic check on the Exhaust Filter and according to them it was clean. I'm still taking a note of all my journeys so if problem persists. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley Focus said:

I did email Autocar after you mentioned the article, just to make them aware  but didn't expect it to be published. 

The content was similar to your post on here which made me wonder - plus the name of course. Sent a few missives to "Autocar" myself over the years but none published!😀

What has everyone done as mine came on at 504 miles and went on a 160 mile round trip been off for 2 weeks done 365 miles in 2 weeks and back on again, been into workshop 3rd time now had anyone else had this problem or solved the issue? 

2 hours ago, Jbfocus said:

What has everyone done as mine came on at 504 miles and went on a 160 mile round trip been off for 2 weeks done 365 miles in 2 weeks and back on again, been into workshop

3rd time now had anyone else had this problem or solved the issue? 

Sorry no one yet appears to have the magic answer.I have done a couple of longish drives but only round trips of 70 miles,  including motorway. Used car today, which was mainly urban driving for about 40 miles and no message appeared! (My message appeared after a couple of miles at the start and then went off after 5 miles. Seems the appearance and disappearance varies with other drivers.)
On Monday my dealership ran a diagnostic test on the exhaust filter and it was clear - but for how long? I keeping a note of the mileage of each of my journeys so in case it comes back on I have got a record of the type of driving I am doing.

Hoping that more Focus drivers will either contact Ford HO or even Autocar and maybe eventually something will be done.

15 hours ago, Stanley Focus said:

Sorry no one yet appears to have the magic answer.I have done a couple of longish drives but only round trips of 70 miles,  including motorway. Used car today, which was mainly urban driving for about 40 miles and no message appeared! (My message appeared after a couple of miles at the start and then went off after 5 miles. Seems the appearance and disappearance varies with other drivers.)
On Monday my dealership ran a diagnostic test on the exhaust filter and it was clear - but for how long? I keeping a note of the mileage of each of my journeys so in case it comes back on I have got a record of the type of driving I am doing.

Hoping that more Focus drivers will either contact Ford HO or even Autocar and maybe eventually something will be done.

Mine came out of workshop yesterday and seen the main service bloke in office, he is aware that there is an ongoing fault with all 1.0 litre ecoboost focus, they can’t pin point what’s the problem but he said he think it’s a software error but don’t know when it can be fixed/when new software will be done. He said could take weeks months he don’t know but I’m in middle off trying to get them to admit the actual fault because want to reject or swap car for another one because having a brand new car and having an error message come up is disappointing, they also said a field service person won’t come out to it because it’s not recognised as a problem, so my hands are tied now told me to keep doing regen every 2 weeks? But my question was why should I do that while in pcp and mileage go up more and come to swap in 3 years time it will be worth less? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jbfocus said:

But my question was why should I do that while in pcp and mileage go up more and come to swap in 3 years time it will be worth less? 

Quite. Why introduce something supposed to reduce emissions if the only way to keep it operating is to do unnecessary mileage which increases emissions?

My 3 week old car with 270 miles has just come up with this warning.

I know I I only do a 8 mile round trip most days and it's due a blast down the motorway in the next 2 days. But that's  why I got the 1.0 due to low miles, my 2016 ztec sport had no issues. 

Will try driving in the gear I think is right and not what the indicator says as well. 

Edited by Cdk1
Spelling mistakes

Here in Finland this is a common problem with the small 1.0 engines and Mk 4 Focus, since they tend not to get warm enough to burn the filter clean.

From what I read here locally, as told by maintenance ppl, is that you should not just drive on a road with high steady revs, that might not do it. In a petrol car there is not much oxygen left in the exhaust fumes when it reaches the exhaust filter, but you should "pump" it there by accelerating and decelerating, which pushes more oxygen to the exhaust fume mixture and THAT helps clean the filter faster.

We were all saying don't buy a modern diesel for owners who do short journeys to and from the shops etc not that long ago. Now don't buy a petrol for the same reasons. 

So it's best to buy an old classic petrol car with no gpf, dpf, cat , emmisions regulations , zero car tax and classic insurance of £80 a year. Lol result. The way forward . 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, iantt said:

So it's best to buy an old classic petrol car with no gpf, dpf, cat , emmisions regulations , zero car tax and classic insurance of £80 a year. Lol result. The way forward . 

Now you're going to give me a serious nostalgia attack!😀

And my old 1983 vauxhall cavalier 1.8 petrol injection got 45 mpg.

We haven't progressed on the economy front either. 

I'd quite happily be driving that if it hadn't rotted away.

Did anyone watch the Great British Road Journeys programme last night?  Proper car on there, over 100 years old with a 3 litre engine...producing 3 horse power... :laugh:

Thankfully we've progressed in terms of power per litre! :lol:

On a serious note though, people that are only doing very short, cold journeys are the ideal candidates for fully electric cars...  It's a shame Ford didn't push the electric Focus a bit harder over here imo as the GPF was bound to cause problems.

• Like 1

Focus electric never sold one in this country. I have seen one though at the ford college

• Like 1

Yeah, I've only seen them online in US spec myself.  Have they got any plans for electric cars over here or not bothering until they're forced to in a few years time?

Electric fords are on there way, but ford are slow off the mark compared to other manufacturers. Think They will drop some models at the same time as introduce electric cars. We will end up with fiesta , focus, and SUV. Then electric variants . 

• Like 1

So it's best to buy an old classic petrol car with no gpf, dpf, cat , emmisions regulations , zero car tax and classic insurance of £80 a year. Lol result. The way forward . 

My 1975 MGB GT should qualify nicely then😀😀 

16 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

On a serious note though, people that are only doing very short, cold journeys are the ideal candidates for fully electric cars...  It's a shame Ford didn't push the electric Focus a bit harder over here imo as the GPF was bound to cause problems.

It's a chicken and egg type situation at the mo. Few are going to be buying electric at the current prices, but the prices won't go down without economies of scale. As I mentioned earlier, my Mrs would be an ideal candidate for a small electric car,  but even after a recent price cut something like a VW e-Up! Is still just short of £20k so it ain't gonna happen anytime soon! 

It's all very well various governments across Europe talking about phasing out i/c engines by this or that date, but there seems little sign of a sensible strategy to achieve it.

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It's a chicken and egg type situation at the mo. Few are going to be buying electric at the current prices, but the prices won't go down without economies of scale. As I mentioned earlier, my Mrs would be an ideal candidate for a small electric car,  but even after a recent price cut something like a VW e-Up! Is still just short of £20k so it ain't gonna happen anytime soon! 

It's all very well various governments across Europe talking about phasing out i/c engines by this or that date, but there seems little sign of a sensible strategy to achieve it.

I completely agree, I'd also be happy to drive an electric car with the journeys I do, though it would have to be at least Leaf sized for me, but the prices are still way too much!  

BMW are currently running a 24 hour test drive on the i3 which the National Trust are promoting to their members. I'm tempted to give it a try - if I turn up smartly dressed instead of in my usual scruffy state I might even look as though I could afford it!😀

I didn't realise until today that the new fiesta has the gpf from the middle of last year. No new  fiesta owners on here having issues? 

Just now, iantt said:

I didn't realise until today that the new fiesta has the gpf from the middle of last year. No new  fiesta owners on here having issues? 

I'm about 4500 miles in with the 1.5 EB and no issues yet.