Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust filter limit reached - on petrol car?

Morty40

Sorry, I knew about the 1.5. should have said the 1.0 ecoboost. 

I don't understand how the same engine in the Focus is experiencing issues though.

I appreciate the map is different but the base "firmware" monitoring sensors etc must be the same...

41 minutes ago, iantt said:

I didn't realise until today that the new fiesta has the gpf from the middle of last year. No new  fiesta owners on here having issues? 

I knew the 1.5 in the ST had it but didn't know about the 1.0. I got mine in March so have apparently missed it by 2/3 months? Phew!😀

Anyone have any Ford or Dealer updates on the exhaust filter issues?

I had 285 miles on the clock when I had my first message, had it every day since,  press ok and the exhaust stinks and also smell of petrol when starting afterwards. 

Mentioned it on honest john and was told to drive 50 miles at 2000 revs, not practical and where can I go non stop for 50 miles with out road works or stopping lol

They also said 1.0 eco boost ppp is the only one reporting issues.

Mine goes in Wednesday, still within my 30 days to reject the car.

Keep you updated...

This message has popped up on my 1.0 several times with only 2000 miles on the clock. I do mostly short journeys to work every day. It goes away for a period and then comes back for a another burst of annoying messages. I appreciate that taking it for a 20 mile spin at 2000 rpm is suppose to burn of the soot, but doesn't that defeat the object of having a 'clean' car?

Guys

Would running the car on high octane fuel (99) make any difference ?

I run mine on 97, perhaps it has something to do with it?

But I wouldn't expect it to make a difference that fast, to some on here who've only done a few hundred miles from new with the Focus, that sounds more like a software issue...

• Like 1

I do think it’s a software issue. I’ve aleadry mentioned that sport mode seems to keep this message away in my car. It worked for about 40 short journeys, but then I forgot to put sport mode on and bang.....back came the message. The message kept coming back for another 8 journeys until I drove it like member Freeze advised, pumping it. The message cleared and now I’m back in sport mode every journey it’s staying away again.

Been into ford today with 362 miles on the clock. The latest message said filter at limit!!!!! 362 miles!!!!!!

service said they performed a static forced regeneration on the filter to clean it and had to go to 750 degrees to clean.

Manual says it should clean itself at 550 degrees.

They also gave me a page printed in the manual which states when the message appears, run the engine between 1500-4000 revs for 20 mins in various gears until message goes. 

When I said I did this twice and the message still came on, I just got a blank stare.

Hmm

Watch this space

20190220_081508.jpg

This really make me think that the dealers and Ford do not understand there is an issue or don’t want to admit,!

having to drive an extra 20 miles every day is just not on.

as suggested by Brian, sport mode does appear to cut down the number of times the message comes on. 

Come on Ford get a fix in place!!! 

Are any of you putting formal complaints into Ford about this?  If there is a software issue, they aren't necessarily going to pick that up as the current 'fix' for a blocked filter will just be a static regen and in at least some of these cases it will be down to driver error.  I'm not sure if anyone at Ford takes note of how many are coming in with the same issue or not, especially as it's not a safety fault.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 12:35 PM, TomsFocus said:

Are any of you putting formal complaints into Ford about this?  If there is a software issue, they aren't necessarily going to pick that up as the current 'fix' for a blocked filter will just be a static regen and in at least some of these cases it will be down to driver error.  I'm not sure if anyone at Ford takes note of how many are coming in with the same issue or not, especially as it's not a safety fault.

I sent a written complaint to Ford and emailed Autocar see my posts of February 1 and 8. At the beginning of the month my dealership ran a diagnostic test, with the result the filter was clean. Now I don't know if they shoogled ( as we say in this part of the UK)/ gently shook something but since then I have driven over 400 miles  on journeys of varying distances and no message has appeared. Will wait and see.

• Like 1

This topic appears to have slowed down. Have we heard of a fix for this problem?

Kevin A I had this problem every day through most January early February then it just stopped about 2 weeks ago since the weather has been much milder may sound silly but could it be connected to air temp

I had my 1.0 Focus EcoBoost for 2 or 3 weeks and had done around 150 miles when the message first appeared for me.  I took it back to the dealership who told me i'd need to drive at 60 mph for about 10 minutes to clear it.  I was told "tough it's the same with all new petrol cars" when i complained that this wasn't practical.  I do very short stop, start journeys in a city and very rarely go anywhere where I can do 60mph.  I was also told that if I didn't clear it and it caused problems, then my warranty would be void!  I'm certainly not going for a drive on the motorway every time for the sake of it.

The message comes on for every journey i do.  I did get a status bar appear (only once) with acceleration, deceleration, speed and braking, i think.  The bars increased the more of these I did.  It disappeared and hasn't come back since.  I guess this is the regeneration?

I am going to try it in sport mode and see if that helps.

Julie

Having same problem as everyone filter light on had car 3 weeks done 500 miles.

No one said about this when purchased.

Going to talk to shop

On 2/12/2019 at 10:02 PM, iantt said:

I didn't realise until today that the new fiesta has the gpf from the middle of last year. No new  fiesta owners on here having issues? 

Had my 12 month check yesterday and enquired about when the Fiesta got gpf - they had no knowledge of it (and are usually pretty clued up). Any more info on this?

From my conversations with my dealer , they were in the dark about GPF's until one of their customers reported the fault. Nothing was mentioned at any of their product training! They also seem in the dark about the cleaning method. GPFs won't clean in the same driving conditions as DPFs. To clean the soot, you need temperature and oxygen. With a diesel there is plenty of O2 and all that"s needed is to get the exhaust up to temp. With a petrol , there is no problem getting the exhaust up to temp, it will normally run well hot enough, but under load conditions there is little O2. Passive regeneration of a GPF therefore normally happens during overrun conditions when there is no fuel and thus plenty of O2 to burn off the soot. When necessary, to enable active regeneration, the ECU is supposed to ***** the timing and weaken the mixture to increase the O2.

The suggestion earlier that ambient temp may have an effect is possible. A reduction in ambient temp of say 10 Deg is not going to affect the running exhaust temp that much I would guess, but it's going to keep the mixture richer for longer on a cold start. So for short journeys it could well be a contributing factor to a reduction in passive regeneration periods.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:14 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Had my 12 month check yesterday and enquired about when the Fiesta got gpf - they had no knowledge of it (and are usually pretty clued up). Any more info on this?

7/5/2018 onwards. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, iantt said:

7/5/2018 onwards. 

Phew! Really did just miss it, by getting mine in March! Many thanks for the info Ian😀

So that's a good 8 months then, yet we've seen no complaints from Fiesta owners (fingers crossed!), only the Mk 4 Focus - wonder what the difference is?

The cat without is £370  with gpf £1270 !!!! Let's hope they don't need replacing any time soon. 

• Sad 1

On 3/5/2019 at 5:41 PM, iantt said:

7/5/2018 onwards. 

Was wondering if there were any other changes to the 1.0 Fiesta engine from that date or have they managed to accommodate the gpf without the mods applied to the Mk 4 Focus?

I’ve only done 300 miles in my new Ford Focus eco boost and the same message is coming up as well, I spoke to fordsthey told me to take it for a run down the motorway , in fourth gear doing 60 to get the refs up , but I don’t travel on the motorway very often I’m only doing 5000 miles a year , and at 60 mile an hr the car is telling me to have it in 6th gear, very disappointed 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club