Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust filter limit reached - on petrol car?

Morty40

On 3/5/2019 at 6:08 PM, iantt said:

The cat without is £370  with gpf £1270 !!!! 

Wow! The early write-ups on this that I saw suggested that gpf would only add £25-£50 to the cost of the cat, not £900. Something of an underestimate, then!😀

Certainly puting me off getting the new focus. I love my car but looks like I'd be trying another manufacturer next time. Unless they are all having this issue.

gpf would only add £25-£50 to the cost of the cat,

Very likely correct, it adds £25-£50 to the manufacturing cost but when has cost had anything to do with what car manufacturers think they can get away with selling things for !!

1 minute ago, gillyallan said:

Certainly puting me off getting the new focus. I love my car but looks like I'd be trying another manufacturer next time. Unless they are all having this issue.

Pretty much every petrol car, or at least every turbo petrol will have GPF now.

It's why some have had to alter advertised power outputs for models which have had to be upgraded. I think the 308 GTI got delayed or had some production hole while they upgraded it.

A GPF should never be as much trouble as a DPF though. There is less soot and petrol exhausts run hotter anyway.

Pretty much every petrol car, or at least every turbo petrol will have GPF now.
It's why some have had to alter advertised power outputs for models which have had to be upgraded. I think the 308 GTI got delayed or had some production hole while they upgraded it.
A GPF should never be as much trouble as a DPF though. There is less soot and petrol exhausts run hotter anyway.
Ouch. Let's hope they iron it out a bit then before I need a new car

12 minutes ago, ianincheshire said:

Very likely correct, it adds £25-£50 to the manufacturing cost but when has cost had anything to do with what car manufacturers think they can get away with selling things for !!

They do have to be a bit careful, the cost of parts affects the insurance group, which could ultimately cost them sales if a car is too expensive to insure, especially for the sort of cars Ford sells.

Probably why the "premium" german saloons charge so much more for parts.

It's still a puzzle as to why so many folks on here are having problems with the 1.0 ecoboost in the Mk 4 Focus, when gpf has apparently also been fitted to the 1.0 ecoboost in the Fiesta since May last year with no apparent issues. I'm assuming that they have accommodated the gpf  in the Fiesta without the other engine revisions applied to the Focus? Maybe the problems are in some way connected to these changes?

I've noticed gpf on Mondeo 1.5 ecoboost also. 

18 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It's still a puzzle as to why so many folks on here are having problems with the 1.0 ecoboost in the Mk 4 Focus, when gpf has apparently also been fitted to the 1.0 ecoboost in the Fiesta since May last year with no apparent issues.

Because my wife has a Mii (Up! clone), I often lurk on the VW Up! forum. The Up! GTI has had gpf from introduction, but interestingly I have not seen any reported issues on there either.

19 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Because my wife has a Mii (Up! clone), I often lurk on the VW Up! forum. The Up! GTI has had gpf from introduction, but interestingly I have not seen any reported issues on there either.

Mmm, VW, emmisions cheats!!! No wonder really . Lol 

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2019 at 12:40 PM, iantt said:

Lol. You could argue all the manufacturers are cheats as they all programmed cars to pass the tests in the lab, giving results that couldn't be achieved in real life. VW were daft enough to get caught out and admit it. You could argue that the real culprits are the people who come up with unrealistic emission standards and test procedures in the first place. 

That said, it's still an interesting question as to why the Focus gpf Is causing apparent** issues, when the Fiesta and fundamentally similar VW turbo-triple are not. 

**From what I've seen, all the issues concern the warning message coming up, I've not seen anyone mention anything physical happening e.g. going into limp mode.

Lol. You could argue all the manufacturers are cheats as they all programmed cars to pass the tests in the lab, giving results that couldn't be achieved in real life. VW were daft enough to get caught out and admit it. You could argue that the real culprits are the people who come up with unrealistic emission standards and test procedures in the first place. 
That said, it's still an interesting question as to why the Focus gpf Is causing apparent** issues, when the Fiesta and fundamentally similar VW turbo-triple are not. 
**From what I've seen, all the issues concern the warning message coming up, I've not seen anyone mention anything physical happening e.g. going into limp mode.

Mine went into limp mode, message had been coming up for a couple of weeks, it was booked into the dealer but this happened before it had a chance to go in.
I had to get ford rescue (or whatever it’s called) out and have them recover the car to the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, andy2086 said:

Mine went into limp mode, message had been coming up for a couple of weeks, it was booked into the dealer but this happened before it had a chance to go in.
I had to get ford rescue (or whatever it’s called) out and have them recover the car to the dealer

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Correction - I have now! Hope they get to the bottom of it.

• Like 1

I think the issue with focus mk 4 and not the fiesta is the fiesta gpf is incorporated into the lower half of catalyst therefore hotter quicker. The gpf on the MK4 is further down the exhaust from the cat and may  take longer to heat up sufficiently. 

That's just my guess why. 

4 minutes ago, iantt said:

I think the issue with focus mk 4 and not the fiesta is the fiesta gpf is incorporated into the lower half of catalyst therefore hotter quicker. The gpf on the MK4 is further down the exhaust from the cat and may  take longer to heat up sufficiently. 

That's just my guess why. 

Does this apply to both 1.0 and 1.5?

Why don't they notice these things early in development. I remember years back disguised new cars were spotted out on test. I presume that still happens and given this occurs at relative low mileage , there's surely no real excuse.

26 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Does this apply to both 1.0 and 1.5?

No idea , only looked  the 1.0 focus gpf so far since this issue became known. The idea behind putting the exhaust and turbo at the back of the engine was partly to increase temps quicker amongst other reasons . 

I wonder if there is a fix now 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Cough cough. 

Suggest people start routinely checking etis and see if it has any outstanding field service actions show up over the coming days.

15 hours ago, iantt said:

No idea , only looked  the 1.0 focus gpf so far since this issue became known. The idea behind putting the exhaust and turbo at the back of the engine was partly to increase temps quicker amongst other reasons . 

Other reasons, like a glowing red hot turbo with a sign on it saying do not touch, but stupid people do anyway? 😂

• Like 1

I wonder if there is a fix now [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]
Cough cough. 

Inside information?? [emoji23]
I hope this is true

ETIS at present says ,please wait checking, wonder if this means a possible update?

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Other reasons, like a glowing red hot turbo with a sign on it saying do not touch, but stupid people do anyway? 😂

I don't think the general public even lift the bonnet these days tbh… :laugh: 

Come on then @iantt don't keep us in suspense lol, is it a software update or a faulty component?  :biggrin: 

?? I've just got a bad cough. Lol, those affected by my cough may want to contact there dealer for some medicine. 

😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

?? I've just got a bad cough. Lol, those affected by my cough may want to contact there dealer for some medicine. 
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You’re such a tease [emoji23]

My hands are tied unfortunately. I cant even put my hand over my mouth when I cough. 😚

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club