Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust filter limit reached - on petrol car?

Morty40

Even though my dealer promised to call me back (trust ford Staines, yes you!) nothing has happened, And they were not aware of the issue or any possible fix.

I think  due to the warmer weather the issue seems to have gone away at present. 

Anybody still having issues??

Had the same problem with my new Focus. Just been in local Ford garage. They advised that there was a system update which should fix the problem. We hope!

On 3/11/2019 at 9:29 PM, Richard 180553 said:

I purchased a Focus STLineX last September and I had also seen these GPF notices coming up on the dash read out. Having done a few longer runs, the sign has not reappeared. I will keep my fingers crossed.

It’s been a couple of months since I did a longer run, and the GPF notice has not returned. Fingers crossed it won’t.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:36 PM, George661 said:

Had the same problem with my new Focus. Just been in local Ford garage. They advised that there was a system update which should fix the problem. We hope!

Three days and the Exhaust Filter warning has not appeared. Looks like the software update cured the problem.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:36 PM, George661 said:

11 hours ago, Richard 180553 said:

It’s been a couple of months since I did a longer run, and the GPF notice has not returned. Fingers crossed it won’t.

At last my local Ford dealer has received the update. Car booked in!!

43B29EE1-7512-4C0C-A89D-D21C5BCC8D9F.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I listed my concerns regarding the filter warning back in January on this site and spoke to my ford dealer who had no idea that the new Focus had a GPF. My car has now completed 2090 miles and the Filter Warning has not shown itself for at least a week, previously it was after a mile of any journey. Hopefully I have not spoken to soon I can only imagine there is a conditioning period for the filter, again it could be that the ambient temperature has risen a few degrees. I can only wait and see because I have had no communication from Fords regarding this issue, thanks Fords.

My Focus was updated a month ago, 400 KM and the fault is back again 😞

Folks. I had the same problem with my new Focus. Exhaust Filter Full warning kept coming on. Took it in to my Lookers Ford dealer in Gateshead. They said there had been a software update. So far I’ve not had the warning come up.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:18 AM, Richard 180553 said:

Spoke too soon. The GPF notice has reared its ugly head again. This means another fast trip to clean it out.

• 4 months later...

No follow-ups since May? Is that because of the hot summer weather and/or the software update or have people just given up? I can only assume this thread will resume now we're in September...

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2019 at 11:03 PM, jamieburchell said:

No follow-ups since May? Is that because of the hot summer weather and/or the software update or have people just given up? I can only assume this thread will resume now we're in September...

Had my 1.0 MK4 focus car since may and no issues.  Except for 2 other software updates need for Sync and the Sync display, carried out by dealer.

Yesterday and today with temps of below 10 degrees at it has come on with 5 mins of driving.   I have just followed the guidance and driven at 70+ MPH for 25 mins (sport mode on too).  I hope this has cleared the issue.  I suspect it wont as I had a 240 miles round trip to Blackpool 2 weekends ago on the motorway!

Mine does it most days, even after motorway/long/varied driving/lots of revs/low gears. It's going to get booked in.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:37 PM, jamieburchell said:

Mine does it most days, even after motorway/long/varied driving/lots of revs/low gears. It's going to get booked in.

I haven't had the issue since the day I posted, so still early days.  I gave it a proper thrashing for 25 mins, 6th gear wasn't used.

I feel there is a bigger problem and the issue will come back. Maybe its a software fix or maybe its bad mechanical design.  Two years left on the warranty so fingers crossed for a real solution. 

Hello, I have the nee ford focus EcoBoost and the exhaust filter flashes upwhich tells me to clean and drive, which drives me crazy.. now I have been driving long and short distance and it still flashes up.. surely this isn't normal for a car to keep flashing with this warning sign. Also I was informed to drive it but it still doesnt disappear. 

19 minutes ago, Kelly Sunderland said:

Hello, I have the nee ford focus EcoBoost and the exhaust filter flashes upwhich tells me to clean and drive, which drives me crazy.. now I have been driving long and short distance and it still flashes up.. surely this isn't normal for a car to keep flashing with this warning sign. Also I was informed to drive it but it still doesnt disappear. 

Has it had a software update?

Theres an interesting article here https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/gasoline-particulate-filter/how-to-fix-exhaust-filter-limit-reached-drive-to-clean-now-ford-gpf-filter

Note that Gpf's only passively regenerate under throttle closed situations

On 3/30/2019 at 10:57 AM, Andyr55 said:

Even though my dealer promised to call me back (trust ford Staines, yes you!) nothing has happened, And they were not aware of the issue or any possible fix.

I think  due to the warmer weather the issue seems to have gone away at present. 

Anybody still having issues??

I have just been informed that ford focus cars have been recalled for the exhaust filter 

I have just been informed that my ford focus has been recalled yet again twice in the last 6 months!!! If you have a Ford focus and having trouble with exhaust filter take it back in 

• Like 1

Mine's booked in for Thursday. What is it they replace/fix so I can tell them when they tell me they've not seen this issue before

4 hours ago, jamieburchell said:

Mine's booked in for Thursday. What is it they replace/fix so I can tell them when they tell me they've not seen this issue before

A pcm software update is done. 

• Thanks 1

'Exhaust filter limit reached' warning appeared on my 2019 C Max 1.0L petrol turbo after 2500 miles. I was at the start of a reasonably long journey so continued as the driver's manual suggested using mainly between 1500 and 4000 rpm. Now warning appears early in every journey. During this time, fuel consumption has increased by over 10%. Dealer is looking at the problem next week. 

On 11/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, iantt said:

A pcm software update is done. 

Nope. What happens is the dealer can't find any fault. Waste of time booking it in and faffing around.

Now I've got my car back it's says Fuel level low 15 miles to empty but the needle is at the half mark.

• 2 weeks later...

This problem is down to the fuel you use. If you are using supermarket or other cheap fuel outlets then you will be plagued with this problem. Best way to cure it is to run your tank right down and refill with Shell or BP and you should see the problem gradually disappear  as long as you stick to it. I have a 2019 C-Max 1.0 with 4k on and its working for me. My dealer agreed that fuel is the problem but shell/bp use additives to help prevent it. Another thing they said, coming from Ford, disconnect the battery for 30 mins to allow all the sensors to reset. 

So the manufacturers are selling a vehicle that cant use about 50% of the fuel sold in the uk!! If that's the case, it's not fit for purpose

Personally it think the fuel is a red herring

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ianincheshire said:

Personally it think the fuel is a red herring

Sounds like it to me, also. As long as you are using fuel to the relevant BS/EN standard you should expect the vehicle to perform satisfactorily. Odd that there seem to have been few, if any, reports concerning the 1.5 or the 1.0 in the Fiesta which has had gpf for a year or so. 

Edit: had shoot off part way through that post. I intended to continue by saying there seem to be problems with particular engines in certain vehicles. The VW group 1.5 petrol for example seems to have had issues in certain of their cars, but not others, and I do wonder if it has something to do with where the gpf is actually installed in the affected vehicles. It does also seem that in some cases software and other mods to get vehicles through WLTP have had an adverse effect on driveability.

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe
Additional comments
  • Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club