Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Bulb Change

CR91

Hi all,

I was wondering is anybody has a video of how to change the headlight bulbs on a MK8 Fiesta. I’ve seen the pictures in the manual, but I’d like to actually see it being done before I attempt it. Taking out a headlight is not something I’ve ever done before, so I want to make sure I don’t mess it us and break anything!

I haven't found a video but just tried it, about 3 days after I got the MK8. It's a pain in the *** to get the lights back in, have to admit. It's pretty easy to get all the bolts undone and then clip the light out, but I had some issues getting it back in. Don't overdo it and keep pushing, just keep moving it around, and it should click back in after a while. 

However, I did see a topic about this not too long ago where someone said both bulbs were interchangeable without getting the lights out... That might be worth trying first.

• 7 months later...

Replacing the bulbs is perfectly possible without the need to remove the headlamp assembly ; I have just replaced both the 'H1' and 'H7' bulbs on my car. OK it's a bit fiddly but certainly no worse than in other cars I have owned.

Ford told me that in order to change the bulbs it was first necessary to remove the headlamp assembly, so I gave that a go. Unfortunately, like many people on the forum, I struggled and I was also worried about breaking something. As a consequence I thought I would try replacing just the bulbs ; hey-presto, within ten minutes I had replaced all four bulbs. No special tools and no excessive force, automotive bulb changing as it should be !

My only suggestion would be attempting the job while the engine bay is slightly warm, that ensures all the rubber seals and plastic connectors are that bit more pliable.

no_photo.png
ReplyForward

• 4 months later...

I upgraded my wife’s bulbs this evening in her Mk8 and I found the headlights impossible to get back in, due to the locking pin.. no matter what I done, it was about 1/3 of an inch out ... after 3 hours I took a hacksaw to the pins and both were back in, within 25 seconds.. never in my life have I had so much hassle putting back in a set of headlights ...I tried every angle just couldn’t see a way of getting them to click into that pin retainer without damaging either the paint or cracking the headlight.

• 10 months later...

What exactly is the purpose of the locking pin as mentioned in Jonny2400's post? Had a 2011 Fiesta and don't remember having a problem getting the light back in. I too removed the pins but found that they unscrew (10mm socket), The unit seems secure without them

On 11/1/2019 at 11:07 PM, Jonny2400 said:

I upgraded my wife’s bulbs this evening in her Mk8 and I found the headlights impossible to get back in, due to the locking pin.. no matter what I done, it was about 1/3 of an inch out ... after 3 hours I took a hacksaw to the pins and both were back in, within 25 seconds.. never in my life have I had so much hassle putting back in a set of headlights ...I tried every angle just couldn’t see a way of getting them to click into that pin retainer without damaging either the paint or cracking the headlight.