Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Galaxy Zetec adding cruise control

jmangan

I recently bought a 2007 Galaxy Zetec (2.0l  petrol if it matters) which, on the whole, I am pretty happy with.

But I do miss the cruise control and I was wondering if it is possible to retro-fit the factory-standard cruise control. I would rather not have an out-of-place post-fitted steering column stalk if I can avoid it.

Someone suggested that all of the wiring could already be in place and it might just be a case of adding the peripheral hardware. I asked at my local Ford dealer but they said there is no kit for it so they wouldn't do it. But that doesn't tell me if they won't do it without an official kit or it is intrinsically undo-able/not worth the effort.

I've seen the necessary steering wheel and clutch pedal switches on eBay. I haven't seen any cruise-control-modules for sale so I'm thinking the function is probably part of the built-in trip computer but that then raises the question of whether it needs to be re-programmed (how?) or replaced with an upgraded module (and how difficult/expensive that might be)

As you've probably guessed I've never done anything like this before so I don't want to start off making plans only to find I've bitten off much, much more than I can chew. But, even if I can't go ahead, it has also sparked my interest in what is required.

Thanks for any insight.

• 1 month later...

{SOLVED] In case anyone else is interested this turned out to be quite straightforward.

I needed:

- a laptop

- the Forscan software ( https://forscan.org/download.html ). I tried ELMConfig but the 'roughness' of the software made me very nervous. From other reports it would probably do the job perfectly well.

- the modified ODB2 adapter recommended by James Simpson ( https://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/elmconfig-enable-ford-ecu-functions/ ) -> bbfly-BF32302 ELM327  ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/bbfly-BF32302-ELM327-modified-ELMconfig-Forscan/dp/B074JF6YNG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SFVXZQ4E15NY8NW4MW43&linkCode=sl1&tag=jamesimp-21&linkId=123f982ef518526073c835c97f3081e4 ) (~£25)

- Replacement steering wheel switches with the cruise control buttons (from eBay, Gala Motors) (~£75)

- Wrench, to remove/replace the battery connection.

- Flat-bladed screw-drivers to remove the air-bag from the steering wheel

- Torx screwdriver to swap over the steering wheel switches.

This model of Galaxy (UK, 2007, Zetec 2.0l Petrol) uses the 'Central Configuration' which meant that I had to use the 'Secondary Boot Loader' (SBL) which Forscan manages well and tells you what to do.

Thanks to 'Central Configuration' I only had to change a single item to enable Cruise Control. I did this before swapping the steering wheel buttons with no problems. Once I put the switches on it 'just worked'TM.

I hope that helps someone.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Helo Jmangan.

I just bought myself a 2L diesel 2007 and were thinking the same about how I miss the cruise control. I understand your post is a bit old, but were you running trouble free with your cruise control installation? I am wonder about trying to do the same on mine, but I am all new to fords and have not much computer experience with cars other than a few OBD 2 scans on an old VW Golf 4 a while back. Having allready a OBD 2 cable, I wonder if you think I need a new OBD-cable suited special for this task? I see your link above with the "James Simpson reccomended one".

Also, which of the Forscan softwares were you using. I see there are severals to choose from on the download-page.

Thanks for a very interesting post. Best reg Trond.

• 9 months later...

Can you do it to 2018 model? O fitted it to land rover discovery td5 all that was required was switches, kind of hoped this might be the same?

• 1 year later...

I too would like to activate CC on my 2010 Galaxy Mk3.

Switches installed, have Forscan, but cannot get CC working.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 2:08 PM, Scarbs said:

I too would like to activate CC on my 2010 Galaxy Mk3.

Switches installed, have Forscan, but cannot get CC working.

I've just activated my CC (Duratorq 09 Galaxy zetec) I had installed wrong buttons...

I needed the Buttons with "OFF" lower left hand button, not ASL symbol..

Left ASL as was "Not Configured" in BCMii

Activated cruise control "With Cruise Control" in BCMii

Voila all working, incidentally, CC activates down to 20mph

On 11/6/2018 at 1:55 PM, jmangan said:

I recently bought a 2007 Galaxy Zetec (2.0l  petrol if it matters) which, on the whole, I am pretty happy with.

But I do miss the cruise control and I was wondering if it is possible to retro-fit the factory-standard cruise control. I would rather not have an out-of-place post-fitted steering column stalk if I can avoid it.

Someone suggested that all of the wiring could already be in place and it might just be a case of adding the peripheral hardware. I asked at my local Ford dealer but they said there is no kit for it so they wouldn't do it. But that doesn't tell me if they won't do it without an official kit or it is intrinsically undo-able/not worth the effort.

I've seen the necessary steering wheel and clutch pedal switches on eBay. I haven't seen any cruise-control-modules for sale so I'm thinking the function is probably part of the built-in trip computer but that then raises the question of whether it needs to be re-programmed (how?) or replaced with an upgraded module (and how difficult/expensive that might be)

As you've probably guessed I've never done anything like this before so I don't want to start off making plans only to find I've bitten off much, much more than I can chew. But, even if I can't go ahead, it has also sparked my interest in what is required.

Thanks for any insight.

I've just activated my CC (Duratorq 09 Galaxy zetec) I had installed wrong buttons...

My vehicle is Diesel? but I imagine the module setups are similiar between the 2 fuel variants, as in the Petrol models with CC factory installed will share a similiar Module setup as a Petrol model (Same mark3?) without factory installed CC?

2 hours ago, Grisleigh said:

My vehicle is Diesel? but I imagine the module setups are similiar between the 2 fuel variants, as in the Petrol models with CC factory installed will share a similiar Module setup as a Petrol model (Same mark3?) without factory installed CC?

I checked my Steering wheel buttons, they came from a 2011 Mondeo petrol, t seems as though they're all cross compatible

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club