Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 tdci engine noise

Paul80

Hi all,

I’ve recently came back to fords after a good few years. Used to have a 53 reg mondeo that I got on really well with, I even modified it to give it an auto open boot( fitted a couple of springs on the boot gas struts)

i have a 10 reg 1.6 tdci ford focus with a few weird noises coming from around the engine area that don’t sound healthy.

The one that I’m more worried about is a belt/ bearing rubbing noise that’s coming from the back of the engine.

anyone had this before and know what’s it about?

My best guess judging on position is either the water pump or fuel injection pump.

We use the car for commuting and want to make sure it’s safe.

thank you in advance.

That repetitive rub, rub, rub noise is actually normal for these.  I'm not sure what causes it, but I spent ages trying to find the cause on mine and never could...in 3 years/30k it never got worse or better.  No change even after a new cambelt kit!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, F0CUE said:

What's the mileage?

73500. Local garage said that I need to change the cambelt asap as it’s due. All the quotes in the area are about £320 part from clickmechanic that quoted 255 but read some horrible reviews about the work that some mechanics do for them

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

That repetitive rub, rub, rub noise is actually normal for these.  I'm not sure what causes it, but I spent ages trying to find the cause on mine and never could...in 3 years/30k it never got worse or better.  No change even after a new cambelt kit!

Thanks. At least you’ve put my mind to rest, I do need to factor in a new cambelt as apparently it’s due one but just lack the funds this month.

• Like 1

Hmmm according to etis the belts are 125000 or 10 years so can't be them.

Screenshot_20181107-222914.jpg

I am a bit out of touch with prices but it does sound quite a lot to me as having done the timing belt on a 1.6tdci myself I know it is a lot easier to do than some other cars eg. 1.6 petrol.  (as the 1.6tdci has a woodruff key on the crankshaft and a handy hole round the back of the flywheel for locking the crank whilst undoing the nut. and also there is only one camshaft to time up properly ,  and you don't need any special tools.    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Hmmm according to etis the belts are 125000 or 10 years so can't be them.

Screenshot_20181107-222914.jpg

Thank you! 

I might just drive it for a while until I get more funds and keep an eye on it.

4 minutes ago, isetta said:

I am a bit out of touch with prices but it does sound quite a lot to me as having done the timing belt on a 1.6tdci myself I know it is a lot easier to do than some other cars eg. 1.6 petrol.  (as the 1.6tdci has a woodruff key on the crankshaft and a handy hole round the back of the flywheel for locking the crank whilst undoing the nut. and also there is only one camshaft to time up properly ,  and you don't need any special tools.    

Labour hours varied from 2.5 to 3.5 and the cost of the kit from £150 to £200. I did see a gates kit on eBay for £95 just one of those things where I’m worried I would wreck the engine. Would a haynes give you a step by step?

1 hour ago, Paul80 said:

Labour hours varied from 2.5 to 3.5 and the cost of the kit from £150 to £200. I did see a gates kit on ebay for £95 just one of those things where I’m worried I would wreck the engine. Would a haynes give you a step by step?

Just be aware that Ford's 125k or 10 years is known to be a bit over optimistic as they've been prone to snap before then.  Even if you look in the haynes it suggests half that (62500 or 5 years).  Personally, I would get it done when you can as the cost of replacing it is minimal compared to the cost of sorting out the consequences of a broken belt and bent valves.  

On my mk3 Focus 1.6 tdci  (2014) the garage charged me £280 for cambelt and water pump.

On my mk 2.5 focus 1.6 tdci (2008), I changed the cambelt & water pump myself recently with only limited experience in mechanics (basically what I've learnt from being on here 2 years), it was the first one I've ever done.  I would say it is very doable DIY, just take your time.  Start a thread on here and I and others will help out if you get stuck!  I couldn't have done it without the help from the guys on here. 

This is better than a haynes; Tom's guide; 

And for what it's worth, the story of mine and the problems I encountered:-

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with Gates, the original parts were probably made by them anyway. as for the noise, sounds just like any other 1.6 TDCI ive heard 🙂 The Job is actually pretty simple, a good garage shouldn't be charging you for 3.5 hours unless your  paying their tea breaks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2018 at 9:55 PM, Albert27 said:

Just be aware that Ford's 125k or 10 years is known to be a bit over optimistic as they've been prone to snap before then.  Even if you look in the haynes it suggests half that (62500 or 5 years).  Personally, I would get it done when you can as the cost of replacing it is minimal compared to the cost of sorting out the consequences of a broken belt and bent valves.  

On my mk3 Focus 1.6 tdci  (2014) the garage charged me £280 for cambelt and water pump.

On my mk 2.5 focus 1.6 tdci (2008), I changed the cambelt & water pump myself recently with only limited experience in mechanics (basically what I've learnt from being on here 2 years), it was the first one I've ever done.  I would say it is very doable DIY, just take your time.  Start a thread on here and I and others will help out if you get stuck!  I couldn't have done it without the help from the guys on here. 

This is better than a haynes; Tom's guide; 

And for what it's worth, the story of mine and the problems I encountered:-

Thank you, that’s really detailed. I’m doing an oil change tomorrow so I’ll assess the situation from there...if I dare or not 🙂

• 1 month later...

well, I wasn’t brave enough so my local indie did it for me. £300 but the noise is gone. He did advise that the cluch is high and the flywheel makes a noise, which I noticed myself but that’s £790 that I don’t have right now.

Thank you all for your replies.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club