Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In the market

Nghfb

Hi all!

I’m  currently in the market for a new car and I really want a ford. I initially was looking at 1.0 ecoboosts and kept wondering why on the 4th of November all these models were being recalled, so I checked and it’s pained me to have to not purchase one after seeing all the issues. I can’t trust it with having limited funds and a family.

Still wanting a focus, I’ve seen a 1.6 Tdci Titanium plate I like for the family, full dealer service history and 39,000 miles, 62 plate. 

My question is, would this be a good buy where I won’t have to fork out a fortune in repairs? I don’t know if there are known problems with this engine. 

I might have to go down the petrol route as the car will be doing less motorway miles soon, but if these are decent around town, I’d still consider it. I’ve attached the car in question for reference

Thanks for any help and trying to find a decent used family is a ***** nightmare! 

A1176AC3-9B51-485A-AF06-5DC9ED828EF7.png

In my opinion the 1.0 ECOboost is a very reliable engine. 

The 1.0 ECOboost has some weaknesses but it is not a bad engine at all. Considering the 1.0 ECOboost is by far the most popular engine and very large numbers are sold the numnbers that have serious failure problems are effectively quite low.

Most horror stories are cooling system related. Because of the relatively high coolant temperature of this engine plastic material of hoses and other parts can deteriorate prematurely and ventually crack/burst. The degas hose and coolant reservoir are common parts to fail.

Most cooling system problems can be solved by regular inspections. Next to this converting the cooling system to MK3.5 specs. also solves the degas hose problems. The MK3.5 has a slightly different design cooling system. The difference between the MK3 and MK3.5  1.0 ECOboost cooling system are just 2 hoses.

Replacing the coolant reservoir, coolant reservoir cap, converting the coolant system to MK3.5 specs. and replacing the coolant  will prevent 90% of the known coolant system problems. All needed parts and materials cost less than €100,-.

The latest recall that applies (only to the 125 HP version of the 1.0 ECOboost) is the clutch recall. this rcall consists of a clutch test and new software that has the ability to detect clutch slippage. In case clutch slippage is detected the engine power is reduced. This recall applies to certain production batches of 1.0 , 1.5 and 1.6 ECOboost engines with the 6-speed B6 transmission. 

The 1.6 TDCI is also a nice engine but also has its weaknesses. The later 8-valve version of this engine that is used in the Focus MK3 is a lot more reliable than the older 16-valve verion that was used in the Focus MK2/MK2.5. However there are still some common problems. like for example premature fuel injector failure. Replacing these fuel injectors is a pretty expensive job.

• Like 2

You're going from a little 1.0L town car to a diesel designed for long motorway journeys. What sort of mileage do you do? 

Honestly, the 1.0 EcoBoost will be far better for town driving than the 1.6TDCi.  Neither are 100% reliable...but no cars are sadly.  In terms of major breakdowns, the 1.0 is more likely to leave you stranded, whereas the 1.6TDCi is more likely to drop into limp mode but still allow you to drive home.

If you're purely after reliability and aren't bothered about economy, tax or the powerband then maybe the non-turbo 1.6 petrol is a better choice for yourself.  They do still come in Titanium trim and have the same max power as the 1.0, but don't deliver it in the same way.  

If you do decide to go for the 62 plate 1.6 TDCi linked, definitely have a test drive around town first, jerky pull away and gearchanges made my one horrendous around town and there have been lots of other complaints about this as well, seems to be mostly 2012 models though no-one has found a fully conclusive cause of the issue.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, it’s nice to have people in the know about these kinds of motors. 

Honestly, the new car will do most of its miles at the weekend when I take the kids out, that’ll be the motorway miles, during the week it’ll be town driving. Dropping kids off pick ups, work and back etc....so from what your saying a petrol will be my best option.

I was going to wait until February to buy, when this Audi’s mot is due, we currently have a 1.9td 02 plate, but it’s time for the bin for it, or a work car for myself. I’m just looking for a reliable motor for the missus and kids really, she does a lot of running around after them.

I do love the thought of the ecoboost and JW I can do tinkering, like bulbs, wipers, window replacements etc... but I am by no means a car enthusiast or expert. If I bought those mk3.5 parts, what’s the difficulty level for replacement?

ill certainly consider the ecoboost again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

You're going from a little 1.0L town car to a diesel designed for long motorway journeys. What sort of mileage do you do? 

Not a lot, maybe about 9-10k a year

For that kind of mileage a Petrol engine will be the best choice.

Replacing the coolant reservoir, coolant reservoir cap, converting the coolant system to MK3.5 specs. is basically very easy. This should take an inexperienced mechanic approximately an hour. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JW1982 said:

For that kind of mileage a Petrol engine will be the best choice.

Replacing the coolant reservoir, coolant reservoir cap, converting the coolant system to MK3.5 specs. is basically very easy. This should take an inexperienced mechanic approximately an hour. 

JW thanks for the valuable input, and the rest, may the long search continue! 

On 11/10/2018 at 6:51 PM, Nghfb said:

JW thanks for the valuable input, and the rest, may the long search continue! 

Also, as with any turbo charged car you definitely want to see full service history (doesn't have to be Ford serviced), that way you at least know the turbo hasn't been running on 3 year old oil.

I used to drive from Sheffield to Milton Keynes twice a week for work (hire cars) and often had a 125 BHP 1.0 Focus and it did the job rather nicely, if driven sensibly on the motorway I could get low 50s for the MPG (cruise control and being able to maintain a constant speed are a big help).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club