Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop Start

Titanium

My 2016 Fiesta X Start Stop has ceased to function, I have had this car from new and has done 13,500 Miles. Any ideas please? I don’t want to be charged at the garage if it is just something simple. Thankyou.

No, usually about 20 to 30 miles on a run

Do you have an obd2 reader? It can tell you the stare of charge of the battery, mine seems to disable start/stop at about 65%.

Anything more and it seems happy enough. 

Thanks for your reply, OBD2 reader seems a bit complicated for me I am 74 so technology like that is above me, Thankyou all the same.

An easy check without diagnostics would be to have a look at the battery indicator.  There is a small coloured circle on the top of the battery - it should be green if the battery is in good condition.

If it's not green, take it for a good run to recharge it or have it tested in case a cell has failed. 

If it is green, you can reset the battery monitor as follows -

1. Switch ignition on for 10 seconds (not engine, so press the start button without the clutch depressed if it's keyless)

2. Press rear fog light switch 5 times

3. Press hazard switch 3 times

4. Wait around 10 seconds and watch for the battery light to flash on the dash.

5. Switch off ignition

• Like 1

Many thanks for your reply, I will try that

Not a solution but related to this topic.

I've done a bit of testing with the stop start system on my Fiesta ST - Line. I'm now doing a round trip commute of about 64 miles a day which includes 2 large roundabouts which often have a long queue on the approach and often with at least 1 minute entirely stationary.

I've done the journey multiple times with the stop start off and am averaging about 53mpg. With stop start switched on I'm averaging 53mpg.

I can't see it makes any difference unless you have a a lot of time entirely stationary on your journey.

1 hour ago, Blatto said:

Not a solution but related to this topic.

I've done a bit of testing with the stop start system on my Fiesta ST - Line. I'm now doing a round trip commute of about 64 miles a day which includes 2 large roundabouts which often have a long queue on the approach and often with at least 1 minute entirely stationary.

I've done the journey multiple times with the stop start off and am averaging about 53mpg. With stop start switched on I'm averaging 53mpg.

I can't see it makes any difference unless you have a a lot of time entirely stationary on your journey.

Its not just about fuel it also cuts emissions.

• Like 1

I suspect it'd more likely a case of enabling them to get under a certain limit to fit in with the tax bands than actually doing anything about cutting emissions in any meaningful way.

Cutting emissions would be better achieved by removing the catalytic converter, all they do is cause you to burn 10% more fossil fuel and convert the emissions that you  were once measuring into something that isn't measured, thereby making it appear to be cleaner.

Stop start can be very temperamental.   I find it can depend on a variety of things whether or not it decides to work.   The most important is the battery condition but air and engine temperature can also affect it.   Living in Nottingham, I find it can make a difference of up to three miles per gallon driving all week in the city.

Hi All, I think that the problem is now resolved,  I started up today after a 50 mile journey yesterday and the vehicle stopped at the next set of traffic when stationary. I am led to understand that it takes more power from the battery from stop and start than it does from pressing the start button. 

Thankyou all for replying to my query it just proves how much these forums can help with problems. Many Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Titanium said:

Hi All, I think that the problem is now resolved,  I started up today after a 50 mile journey yesterday and the vehicle stopped at the next set of traffic when stationary. I am led to understand that it takes more power from the battery from stop and start than it does from pressing the start button. 

Thankyou all for replying to my query it just proves how much these forums can help with problems. Many Thanks.

If you want more info on Stop/Start watch this:

https://youtu.be/k159M8QhCIE

I just watched that and I've never heard so much rubbish from a guy who loves the sound of his own voice and considers himself a comedian.

2 hours ago, Bobr said:

I just watched that and I've never heard so much rubbish from a guy who loves the sound of his own voice and considers himself a comedian.

All 13 minutes?  I got fed up after 2... :yawn: 

In regards to battery power, it takes the same amount to start the engine whether that's done via the clutch or the start button, but if it detects the battery is a bit low, it won't stop so as not to drain battery any further...if you then parked up just a short distance later and left it over night, the battery may not have enough charge for a cold start the next day.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

All 13 minutes?  I got fed up after 2... :yawn: 

So did I Tom but I thought he might have something believable to say.   He didn't.

• Like 1

I put a stop watch in my car yesterday and operated it every time I stopped and the stop/start operated.   Coming home along a mile long road road called Sneinton Dale was a nightmare and I was stopped more than I was started.   Eventually came across the reason; a lady lying in the middle of the road with two PCSOs directing traffic around her.   In the end, after a 10 mile journey, I found that I had been stopped for a total of 15.3 minutes.   This not only saved the petrol I would have used ticking over in that time but, some might consider more importantly, saved a lot of CO2 being pumped into the atmosphere.