Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 ecoboost low oil pressure engine rattle

Fiestareece

Hi all

have come seen similar issues for some people on here but can’t find any real solutions to what the problem was.

so for the past few days my 2013 fiesta 1.0 ecoboost has been flashing up on start and when driving with the oil light and the message ‘low oil pressure stop slowly’ along with a rattle on the engine. It only has 27k on the clock. Checked oil and it was fine, to be safe i drained oil and changed the filter and added new oil. Light still on and warning message still coming on. 

So does anyone know the solution to this? I have also bought a oil pressure switch to change and rule that out but cannot find where it is on the engine to swap it if anyone can also help with its location?

thank you in advance

I have a similar issue with a 1.25 where when engine is cold there is an awful rattle

Assuming oil level is topped up correctly-could the oil sensor be at fault here- perhaps causing issues with the ECU hence causing the rattle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I believe it is just above the oil cooler from what I can see ( below intake manifold)

Is this accessible from above or below ? 

Below I believe buddy- but knowing ford probably at some obscure angle inaccessible from normal tools [emoji23]

I was looking underneath earlier when changing the filter, the only thing i could see near that looked nothing like the oil pressure switch that i have got 

Attached a photo of the one i picked up from euro, which should be the right one i assume. Definitely struggled to even see it when i got near the filter earlier

507A876F-75AC-42C7-A024-C1DF3A313E8E.jpeg

863f47e8ec7e9b48debcb47c863bc815.jpg

Picture of scrap engine on eBay- believe this is the pressure switch just next to the oil filter

If it looks nothing like the one on the engine- perhaps the wrong part?

Possibly. Everywhere ive looked seems to give the same part that i picked up from euro. Even went into ford to compare. Will have another check in the morning when its lighter. Hoping it will sort it. 

Think this is a better picture - seems to be just above the oil filter- which looks a lot more like the part you specified.

It's probably the oil strainer in the sump blocked up, pressure switch won't make any difference if you have rattle as well. May need the sump removing and clear out the strainer. I've not done one but there have been a couple of members on here who have had too and clean strainer.

• Like 1

Oh really, is the sump easy enough to remove? Anything tricky involved? And once removed is it just the case of goving it a good clean and removing any muck from the sump

I'm sure I saw a thread on here maybe a year ago on an ecoboost where the strainer was blocked with small particles of something (it had the photos). I have tried finding it but can not. I never seem to have much luck with the search word function on this website. It might have been on focus forum as same engine.

I assume the rattling is metal on metal of parts which are suffering from lack of oil pressure ie. all the time you hear the rattle, it is causing adverse wear of those components. 

How long have you had the car and what sort of journeys do you do?

1 hour ago, iantt said:

How long have you had the car and what sort of journeys do you do?

Since new and only drive around town really. Got any ideas? Think its worth getting the sump off and checking the mesh filter everyone mentions? 

If i remove the sump do i have to remove the oil punp to clean the mesh out or can it be done whilst still in?

Hi all

finally got round to fixing the problem. The culprit being the oil pump. Just like siggy_7 had the same problem. Took the pump out and it was caked in so much thick muck in the filter mesh. No wonder no oil was getting pumped to the top of the engine, which was obviously causing the rattle being so dry. You can actually unbolt the front plate on the pump to get right in to the mesh to clean. Gave it a good clean with brake cleaner until it was looking like new. Put everything back together an started the car, rattle was there for about 3 seconds and went as soon as the oil got pumped up, car drives

much better and no rattle or low oil pressure light anymore. Only long thing was the process to get the pump out having to drop exhaust etc.

Thanks alot everyone for all the responses and help.

• Like 2

I think the gunk is from short journeys , engine not getting hot. Condensation in engine mixing with the detergents of engine oil causing a sludge. 

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have a diagram of where the pump is? My 2012 Focus with a 1.0 is doing what is described. Thanks for any and all help.

• 3 months later...
On 12/2/2019 at 9:43 PM, cheshire13 said:

Does anyone have a diagram of where the pump is? My 2012 Focus with a 1.0 is doing what is described. Thanks for any and all help.

Mine is exactly the same I’ll drop the sump tomorrow and give it a clean see how wen go... the rattle you hear by the way i think is the vacuum pump staved of oil.. I’m in my 2nd vacuum pump 

I would be cautious about this since what I believe is that sludge blocking the strainer is parts of the timing belt. At least it has been like that in a few cases. This means that the belt can snap at some point.

• 1 month later...

The Ecoboost engine has timing belts running in the oil sump. Deposits from the belts get stuck in the primary oil pump inside the sump causing low oil pressure and camshaft timing faults causing engine light and rattle. Remove sump( exhaust off, etc) and remove deposits) more info on my YouTube channel Worthyo

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club