Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it really needed

Michael9

The spongy thing behind wings that supposed to help stop corrosion (aye right). I didn't put the one in the drivers back in earlier, I'll thoroughly clean the inside ect of the passenger one in the next day or 2 and if ok leave that one or too.

Or is out best to put them back despite them doing more harm than good.

• Like 1

What car?  Sponge behind wings is usually sound deadening, not a corrosion inhibitor...as you've found it makes more corrosion anyway lol.  

Focus mk1, not behind the wing and the door hinge it didn't, the rust was all along the arch and a hole behind the headlight where's the no padding.

I've read a lot on various cars that this foam sponge stuff can and does cause rust as the water's got nowhere to go. Not much at all mentioned sound proofing. 

On 11/11/2018 at 9:22 PM, Michael9 said:

The spongy thing behind wings that supposed to help stop corrosion (aye right). I didn't put the one in the drivers back in earlier, I'll thoroughly clean the inside ect of the passenger one in the next day or 2 and if ok leave that one or too.

Or is out best to put them back despite them doing more harm than good.

6 hours ago, Michael9 said:

Focus mk1, not behind the wing and the door hinge it didn't, the rust was all along the arch and a hole behind the headlight where's the no padding.

I've read a lot on various cars that this foam sponge stuff can and does cause rust as the water's got nowhere to go. Not much at all mentioned sound proofing. 

Fair enough, yeah German cars in particular are notorious for the sound deadening sponge holding salty, gritty water against the wings and rusting them from the inside out.  Ford are less bothered by sound deadening so maybe it has another function, I've not worked on a mk1 since college and honestly can't remember now lol!

You're right about German stuff my old BM's were like that as were some Saabs

I don't understand why this thing was holed just behind the light and all along the arch but no where else, yet the other side's fine anyway a new one's on now

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club