Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FORSCAN

shocks

I was just wondering in simple terms what Forscan is. It is often mentioned on this forum and i'm guessing its a fault code reader only for Fords. What else are the benefits of having it and is it a programme that you have on your laptop or a hand held unit that get plugged into the car. 

Just interested to find out more. Thanks in advance.

FORScan is the Ford/Lincoln specific software, which when used with a generic OBDII scan tool adapter that plugs into the diagnostic port in the car (by your right knee), will let you do a number of things to the ECU's in your car. It's primary function is to read and display any fault codes that may be present. FORScan software is available for PC, iPhone and Android and connects to the adapter via bluetooth or WiFi depending on the adapter type you buy. Mine are Wifi, because it has a faster communication rate and my laptop doesn't have bluetooth! The PC/laptop version lets you do more, although you do need to pay a small fee for a license if you want to change ECU settings. You also need to know what your doing for the latter!! Reading codes is pretty straight forward and can enable you to figure out if you have any issues.

One note is that the scan tools you can buy only look at a single CAN network (most cars since 2004). In the case of Ford, there are 2 CAN networks on the diagnostic connector High Speed CAN (HS_CAN) and Medium Speed CAN (MS_CAN). For Ford vehicles there are specific adapters with a HS/MS CAN switch on them. There are also plenty of websites that show you how to modify an standard adapter and put a switch in yourself. You need to see both CAN networks as most of the ECU's on the car are on one or the other but not both (although a few are).

If you get a copy of the service Manual (there are a few downloads on the web if you search for them!!) it lists all the fault codes and what you need to test/Fix or Replace in the event of one showing up. For the cost of the adapter, it gives you an understanding of what the problem may be and if you can fix it yourself, or at worst, verify what the dealer is telling you needs fixing and if your being taken for a ride (or if they really understand what they are doing!)

I've used it to modify settings, eg enable drive away locking, change three flash indicators to four flashes. You really need to exercise care when fiddling with the ECU settings. It isn't intuitive and most of the settings you need you can only find through web research. There are obdII scan tools that can access the HS and MS CAN networks simultaneously without a switch or modification, I've got one, they are more expensive. Forscan extended  licence is free but has to be reapplied for every two months.

thanks for your replies guys. very informative. I think personally I would be interested in finding fault codes incase its a simple fix. I've not had any trouble and hopefully never will for a long time!

I wouldn't have the confidence to change settings etc....

I can get the software online then? Just googling it? 😁

Yes get it from forscan.org

Helpful post in the forum about what obdII adapters to buy. I have the obdlink MX bluetooth. Your choice will depend on what you want to connect it to pc/iOS/Android

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi All

I too have been looking at Forscan, with a view to tweaking some of the bells and whistles on my Edge, but not until the warranty expires.

One of the tweaks I am looking at is activating my Auto Relock (mentioned elsewhere on these forums), if I get no success on warranty with this (currently ongoing).

I have read a great deal on the forscan forum, having also downloaded and registered a copy of the software.

I have also looked at the American forums to see what they have to say about doing this.

Through what I have seen so far, the Edge seems to be very similar to the 2015 - 2019 F150s, in that a lot of the codes seem to match, as found out through the forscan forum.

But, the post that I read, goes on to mention that also the Edge is similar to the 2011 - 2015 Explorer, and the 2014 Onwards Fusion, and the 2017 Super Duty F150s.

I purchased the ELM327 Usb OBDII Diagnostic Tool Interface Code Reader For Ford HS CAN/MS CAN from amazon in readiness for when I start to tweak

I am currently compiling a chart showing all the codes from the above 4 models against all the codes that I have already read from my Edge (a long process).

I will post this chart once I complete it.

KugaEdge - If you read this post, did you come across any pitfulls when you tweaked your car? Any other things to be wary of?

I am presuming correctly that maybe you have to modify several codes in different modules sometimes to activate/deactivate certain features?

Will post more later.

Happy motoring

Dave

• Like 1

Hello Dave, no real issues other than it's a leap of faith because there is very little out there in terms of which codes have been tested as safe to modify specifically on the Edge. In terms of platform the Edge is closest in relation to the current Mondeo or Fusion on the USA. All the things I changed I took from the US 2gfusions.net site where people are compiling spreadsheets of the different codes.

Take your time with Forscan, it's very good but not terribly intuitive. I spent ages just reading codes, resetting fault codes, comparing my values with those I could find on the web before I dared to change anything. Oh and if course make sure you take a backup of all the current values using Forscan for each ECU you plan to modify before you start just in case!

Hi Alistair

Ta for the info.

I will bear in mind your comments when I do start to tweak.

I have already copied my car's entire code listing from all the modules, hence the chart that I am compiling.I will now check the Mondeo details as well for my chart.

As I have been compiling my chart, it has given me a good idea of what codes to modify, in theory.

But with theory verses practice, I may well end up with trial verses error, and resetting faults.

Further to what you said I will re-copy each module before (and entire listing from all modules), and after for each modification I do.

It is a little way off yet, but once I do mods, I will post results.

Happy motoring

Dave

Dave, have fun! I enabled the drive away locking and changed the 3 flash indicators to 4 (just because I could,  that was like my trial mod to get comfortable with it)

Let us know how you get on.

Hi All

I have completed the chart I was compiling, comparing my car to 4 other models as built config data (details taken from Forscan website)

The 4 models I compared against were the 2015 - 2019 F150s, the 2011 - 2015 Explorer, the 2014 Onwards Fusion, and the 2017 Super Duty F150s

All of these spreadsheets are available from Forscan on their website

As going by what Forscan was telling me, these were all fairly similar to the Edge

(I could not locate a Mondeo as built spreadsheet, so settled for the American Mondeo being the Fusion spreadsheet)

I have uploaded my comparison chart, which is (or should be) available to view by following the below link (not including the quotation marks)

"https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRK8-il4hWKWTts_YJiFlHdfXiqlcXfg880-PP2GDJBN66wpKwyeFuROdgitmFf4Tt6Nk0IvbRafK-v/pubhtml"

If you copy the link (without the quote marks) and paste into search bar it should give you my chart

I compiled my chart in excel but this forum would not let me attach an excel file

As I said earlier (in another post) the nearest as built config I found was that of the 2015 - 2019 F150s, as this had the most module matches to my Edge

Though also my Edge has some modules that I copied from my car that do not appear on any of the spreadsheets that I compared against

The next step will be for me to make my changes/modifications, but as I have already said, I will be doing this once my warranty has expired (sometime this August)

So will post further details after this time

Happy motoring

Dave

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Interested in this - like you once out of warranty - is there an easy way to download the spreadsheet  I don't like Google's way of showing the vontent

On 4/20/2019 at 5:39 PM, DavesEdge said:

Hi All

I have completed the chart I was compiling, comparing my car to 4 other models as built config data (details taken from Forscan website)

The 4 models I compared against were the 2015 - 2019 F150s, the 2011 - 2015 Explorer, the 2014 Onwards Fusion, and the 2017 Super Duty F150s

As going by what Forscan was telling me, these were all fairly similar to the Edge

(I could not locate a Mondeo as built spreadsheet, so settled for the American Mondeo being the Fusion spreadsheet)

I have uploaded my comparison chart, which is (or should be) available to view by following the below link (not including the quotation marks)

"https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q_AwifvHOD1K2QcZlYXnFMsLID8cpljKUpUEnkx9yBk/copy"

If you copy the link (without the quote marks) and paste into search bar it should give you my chart

I compiled my chart in excel but this forum would not let me attach an excel file

As I said earlier (in another post) the nearest as built config I found was that of the 2015 - 2019 F150s, as this had the most module matches to my Edge

Though also my Edge has some modules that I copied from my car that do not appear on any of the spreadsheets that I compared against

The next step will be for me to make my changes/modifications, but as I have already said, I will be doing this once my warranty has expired (sometime this August)

Happy motoring

Dave

To Be Tested

On 4/20/2019 at 5:39 PM, DavesEdge said:

Hi All

"https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q_AwifvHOD1K2QcZlYXnFMsLID8cpljKUpUEnkx9yBk/copy"

Happy motoring

Dave

Hi All

Ignoring my previous post where i just called it "To Be Tested"

With the help of my son, I have created a new link that enables the downloading of my spreadsheet in it's original Excel format.

Once you click on the link (it acts as if it were a hyperlink, taking you to a new webpage).

From this new web page, it gives you a copy document screen.

Click the "Make A Copy" button on this page. This will open my spreadsheet.

Once spreadsheet open, click on "File" scroll down to "Download As", chooese "Microsoft Excel" and then you should get a full copy of my spreadsheet in it;'s original Excel format.

My son and myself tested this (hence the previous post) and it worked ok on his laptop.

If it does not work, let me know and I will relook at making it downloadable.

Happy motoring

Dave

I take it you mean the link in your quoted text above - if so I only get an invite to sign in to Google sheets which I cannot (will not) do

Westville

Ok, back to the drawing board I go.

Will have another look at and let you know what I find.

Happy motoring

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Worked for me after signing in to my Google account.  Only problem i had  I don't have MS Office   only Open Office so had to save in open doc file.  But all opened up to view

• 1 month later...

Still getting to know Forscan and what the car is about computer wise

As part of my research and BEFORE I attempt to change anything I wanted to know what my car was built with and what settings should be there - my base line in case anything goew wrong!

Today I cam across this very useful video which has resulted in me being able to download from Ford a copy of my "as Built" file in a format that Forscan can read, I also copied and pasted the information on screen into a new spreadsheet so I have a ready visual check on the hex codes - unfortunately that part does not identify specific modules by name - so I will add to the list as an when I explore and discover information via Forscan. The video is here https://www.facebook.com/nick.ours/videos/10212259336037963/?t=3 (thanks to @nick ours for the info)

I'm almost at the stage where I feel able to start exploring thanks to the pioneering work of other Fordies :toast:

Hopefully I will be able to add to the body of knowledge in due course

All ford ECU names and addresses ...

Name Short Adress
(Audio) Digital Signal Processing Module (DSP) DSP 783
4 Wheel Steering (WS4) WS4
4X4 Control Module (4X4M) 4X4M 761
Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) APIM 7D0
Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) AFS
Adaptive Front Lighting System / Auto Leveling Module (AFS/ALM) AFS/ALM
Air Conditioning (AC) AC
Air Conditioning Control Module (ACCM) ACCM 7E7
Air Suspension (4WAS) 4WAS 020
All Terrain Control Module (ATCM) ATCM
All Wheel Drive Module (AWD) AWD
Alternative Fuel Control Module (AFCM) AFCM 7E5
Amplifier Module (AM) AM
Anti-Lock Brake / Traction Control Module (ABS) ABS 760
Anti-Lock Brake / Traction Control Module (ESOF) ESOF
A-STOP System (No Idling System) (A-STOP) A-STOP
Audio Control Module (ACM) ACM 727
Audio Control Unit (ACU) ACU
Audio Interface Module (AIM) AIM
Audio Rear Control Unit (RCU) RCU 774
Auto Leveling Module (ALM) ALM
Automatic Ride Control (ARC) ARC 020 ?
Auxiliary Heater Control Module (AHCM) AHCM 7E3
battery Charger Control Module (BCCM) BCCM
battery Control Module (BCM) BCM 726
battery Control Module (OBD_BCM) OBD_BCM
Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) BECM 7E7
Blind Spot Monitoring (Left) (BSML) BSML
Blind Spot Monitoring (Right) (BSMR) BSMR
bluetooth Phone Module (BPM) BPM
Body Control Module (BCMii) BCMii 726
Body Control Module / Generic Electronic Module (BCM/GEM) BCM/GEM 726
Body Control Module B (BCMB) BCMB 7B7
Body Electronic Module (BEM) BEM
Camera Module Rear (CMR) CMR
Cellular Phone Module (CPM) CPM 090
Central Timer Module (CTM) CTM 052
Circuit Deactivation Ignition Module (CDIM) CDIM 7E2
Column Lock Module (CLM) CLM
Compact Disc Player (CDP) CDP
Connectivity Master Unit (CMU) CMU
Convergence Telematics Module (CTMii) CTMii
Cruise Control (CCM) CCM 764
Cruise-Control Module (CCM) CCM
DC to DC Converter Control Module (DCDC) DCDC 746
Deployable Hood System (DHS) DHS
Digital Audio Broadcast Module (DABM) DABM
Digital Audio Control Module C (DACMC) DACMC 7D5 ?
Driver Door Control Unit (DFDM) DFDM
Driver/Dual Climate-Control Seat Module (DCSM) DCSM 776
Drivers Door Module (DDM) DDM 740
Driver's Seat Module (DSM) DSM 744
Electric Parking Brake (EPB) EPB 02A
Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) EATC 098
Electronic Crash Sensor (ECS) ECS 058
Electronic-Controlled Power Steering (EPS) EPS 730
Energy Management Module (EMM) EMM
Fire Suppression System Module (FSSM) FSSM 059
Folding Top Control Module (FTCM) FTCM
Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) FSC
Front Body Control Module (F_BCM) F_BCM
Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM) FCDIM 7A5
Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) FCIM 7A7
Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) FDIM 7A6
Front Distance Sensing Module (FDSM) FDSM
Front Electronic Module (FEM) FEM 052
Front Lighting Control Module (FLM) FLM
Fuel Additive Control Module (FACM) FACM
Fuel Fired Coolant Heating Module (FFH) FFH 00F
Fuel Indication Module (FIM) FIM 016
Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) FICM 7E6
Fuel Injection Control Module (OBD_FICM) OBD_FICM 7E5
Fuel Injection Pump (FIP) FIP 016
Fuel Operated Heater (FOH) FOH 00F
Gateway Module A (GWM) GWM 716
Gear Shift Module (GSM) GSM
Generic Display Module (GDM) GDM
Generic Electronic Module (GEM) GEM 052
Generic Electronic Module / Smart Junction Box (GEM/SJB) GEM/SJB 052
Generic Function Module (GFM) GFM
Global Positioning System Module (GPSM) GPSM 701
Head Up Display (HUD) HUD 7B2
Headlamp Control Module (HCM) HCM 734
Headlamp Control Module 2(B) (HCM2) HCM2 7C3
Headlamp Leveling Module (HD_LVL) HD_LVL 071
Heated Steering Wheel Module (HSWM) HSWM 714
Heated Steering Wheel Module (HV) HV
Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) HVAC 733
HVAC Integrated Module (HIM) HIM
Hybrid Electronic Cluster (HEC) HEC 060
Image Processing Module A (IPMA) IPMA 706
Image Processing Module B (IPMB) IPMB 7B1
Information Center Module (ICM) ICM
Injector Control Unit (ICU) ICU 016
Instrument Cluster (IC) IC 060
Instrument cluster (INST) INST
Instrument Panel Control Module (IPC) IPC 720
Integrated Air Bag Module (IABM) IABM 058
Intelligent Cruise Control Module (ICCM) ICCM
Intelligent Power Distribution Module (IPDM) IPDM
Interior Lighting Control Module (ILCM) ILCM 7B5
Left High Intensity Discharge Lamp (LHID) LHID
Left Power Sliding Door Module (LPSDM) LPSDM 0B0
Liftgate / Trunk Module (LTM) LTM 775
Lighting Control Module (LCM) LCM 070
Message Center (MC) MC 061
Motor Pretensioner Module (MPM) MPM
Multifunction Steering Wheel (MFSW) MFSW
Multi-Information Display (MID) MID
Navigation Controller (NAV) NAV 068
Next Generation Speed Control Module (NGSC) NGSC 013
Occupant Classification System Module (OCS) OCS 765
Overhead Trip Computer (OTC) OTC 061
Park Brake Control Module (PBM) PBM
Parking Aid Module (PAM) PAM 736
Passenger Climate-Control Seat Module (PCSM) PCSM 730
Passenger Climate-Control Seat Module 2 (rear) (PCSM2) PCSM2 777
Passenger Front Seat Module (PSM) PSM 0A6
Passengers Door Control Unit (PDM) PDM 741
Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) PATS 0C0
Power Running Board (PRB) PRB 766
Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) PSCM 242
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) PCM 7E0
Rader Brake Support (EBS) EBS
Rear Air Suspension Module (RASM) RASM 020
Rear Air Temperature Control (RATC) RATC 099
Rear Audio Control Module (RACM) RACM
Rear Body Control Module (R_BCM) R_BCM
Rear Electronic Module (REM) REM 050
Rear Gate/Trunk Module (RGTM) RGTM
Rear Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (RHVAC) RHVAC 785
Rear Left Door Control Unit (DRDM) DRDM
Rear Lighting Control Module A (RLCMA) RLCMA
Rear Right Door Control Unit (PRDM) PRDM
Rear Seat Entertainment Module (RETM) RETM 771
Rear Vehicle Monitoring (RVM) RVM
Reductant Control Module (DCU) DCU
Remote Anti-Theft / Personality Module (RAP) RAP 048
Remote Climate Control (RCC) RCC 098
Remote Emergency Satellite Cellular Unit Module (RESCU) RESCU 091
Remote Function Actuator (RFA) RFA 731
Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) RKE
Restraint Control Module (RCM) RCM 737
Retractable Hard Top (RHT) RHT
Right High Intensity Discharge Lamp (RHID) RHID
Right Power Sliding Door Module (RPSDM) RPSDM 0B1
Satellite Digital Audio Receiver System (SDARS) SDARS 782
Seat Control Module E (SCME) SCME
Seat Control Module G (SCMG) SCMG 712
Seat Control Module H (SCMH) SCMH 713
Secondary OBD Control Module A (SOBDM) SOBDM
Secondary OBD Control Module C (SOBDMC) SOBDMC
Security module (CSM) CSM 0C1
Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) SCR
Side Obstacle Detection Control Module - Left (SODL) SODL 7C4
Side Obstacle Detection Control Module - Right (SODR) SODR 7C6
Smart Brake Support/Mazda Radar Cruise Control (SBS/MRCC) SBS/MRCC
Smart City Brake Support (ICA) ICA
Smart Start Unit (SSU) SSU
Speech Recognition Module (SRM) SRM 772
Steering Angle Sensor Module (SASM) SASM 797
Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) SCCM 724
Steering Column Locking Module (SCLM) SCLM 0C3
Steering Column/Instrument Panel/Lighting (SCIL) SCIL 070
Steering Effort Control Module (SECM) SECM 7C5
Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) SRS
Telematic Control Unit Module (TCU) TCU
Tire Pressure Monitor (RTM) RTM 751 ?
Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) TPM 751 ?
Tracking and Blocking Module (TBM) TBM 0CE
Trailer Brake Control Module (TBC) TBC 757
Trailer Module (TRM) TRM 791
Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM) TCCM 761
Transmission Control Module (TCM) TCM 7E1
Transmission Range Control Module (TRCM) TRCM
Variable Assist Power Steering (VAPS) VAPS 030
Vehicle Dynamics Module (VDM) VDM 721
Vehicle Emergency Messaging System (VEMS) VEMS 091
Vehicle Security Module (VSM) VSM 755
Virtual Image Cluster (VIC) VIC 060

• Like 1

Do a search for "FORScan 2015-2019 F150s.xlsx". This is most of the configs for the F150 which uses the majority of ECU's found in the EDGE.

Hi All

I still plan to carry out mods as previously mentioned, but, as I am still helping my wife sort out her brother's estate after he passed away involving a lot of commuting between Essex and Wales, whilst also doing 24x7 work, I have not really had a chance yet.
One of the things I am going to check first is the Auto Relock, now that Fmc finally configured it to work, to see if my idea was correct, among my planned mods.

Happy motoring

Dave

@DavesEdge not forgotten your help - I am still plodding through your spreadsheet - and starting to understand it now :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 5:31 AM, DavesEdge said:

Hi All

I still plan to carry out mods as previously mentioned, but, as I am still helping my wife sort out her brother's estate after he passed away involving a lot of commuting between Essex and Wales, whilst also doing 24x7 work, I have not really had a chance yet.
One of the things I am going to check first is the Auto Relock, now that Fmc finally configured it to work, to see if my idea was correct, among my planned mods.

Happy motoring

Dave

Hi All

Now that the main part of my wife's brothers estate has been sorted, so no more commuting between Wales and Essex for a while, I have had another look at forscan.

And as my warranty has now expired, I tried a couple of changes, as follows :-

Found in the SCCM

Change number of flashes of indicator when stalk tapped

(This mod has been tried by a few others, thought I would give it a go too, it works on my Edge)

I chose to change to 6 Flashes Of Indicator Instead Of Three when Stalk Tapped

Original Config
724-01-01=E120 0600 34 (Three Flashes)
New Config
724-01-01=E120 0C00 34 (Six Flashes)

Found in the BDCYM

To Enable Auto Lock I tried the below, it works for me, operates at around the 15 mph mark in my Edge

Original Config
726-15-01=0202 0202 024D (Auto Lock INOP)
New Config
726-15-01=0101 0101 014D (Auto Lock Enabled)

Also found in the BDCYM

Auto Relock (The famous one that my EX local dealers told me my Edge was the wrong shape to have fitted)

Original Config
726-15-02=0000 0000 0044 (Auto Relock Disable)
New Config
726-15-02=0101 0101 0149 (Auto Relock Enabled)

These are the only changes that I have found so far that were changed by Lookers Fmc (my new chosen dealers). If I find any others I shall add to this topic.

I have some more mods in mind that I am thinking of doing later.

As I said in my posted spreadsheet, (I will re-iterate here) :-

"Please Note That Although These Codes Appear In The Above As Built Codes They May Not Necessarily Be Associated With The Same Function On Different Models - Use At Your Own Risk - This Is Only For Information Purposes Only - I will Not Accept Any Liability For Anything That May Go Wrong When/If Using This Comparison Chart - Any/All Modifications Are Done Entirely At The Owners Own Risk"

"If You Decide To Change/Modify Your Codes It Is A Good Idea And Recommended By Quite A Few Posts To Make A Back Up Of Your Original Codes First To Roll Back To If Something Goes Wrong."

Though the above changes have worked for me, they might not work for you. I have not found any problems so far, with the above mods.

If I do, I will post what they are and how I went about fixing them.

Happy motoring

Dave

• Like 2

Hi All

Whilst in the process of checking up on some more planned mods that I am looking at:-

"Blind Spot Info, Remote Start, Police Mode" - To name a couple more

I noticed that in my last post I got the Body Module name incorrect

It should read BDYCM not what I typed being BDCYM (sorry for my typo)

Happy motoring

Dave

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club