Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very confussed

Hello all , just joined and need help. I have just bought a 2003 mk1 Focus which looked and sounded a nice little car but (these always is ) it turns out not quite as it seems. Sorted out most problems and all was fine , parked the car the other night next day will not start. Ive checked everything I can think of and replaced plugs , H/T leads plus coil pack still nothing , turns over fine but not even a hint of even a miss fire let alone run. Ive also replaced fuel rail ( breakers yard ) and cleaned injectors. So anyone have any ideas ? 

Many thanks Ian

do the plugs get wet?   some people would probably try starting with easystart spray. not tried it myself

Wouldnt be surprised if the battery is duff

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Can you hear the fuel pump prime?

Also have you done the crude injector test by putting a screwdriver against it, putting your ear to the other end and listening for a repetitive ticking noise?

Definitely getting spark? Just because you replaced plugs and leads doesn't mean you're getting a spark. One of those tools that light up are handy for this.

Would also give it a compression test to make sure the rings or valves haven't gone and the timing is correct.

There is a lot more to try, but these are the most common I'd say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, F0CUE said:

I would check the fuel pump relay in the engine and the fuse inside.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/fusesdiagram.com/ford/fuses-and-relay-ford-focus-mk1.html/amp

Checked fuse all ok , ill try the relay tomorow but should be ok because it all kicks in ( hear it when the power is turned on ) but thanks ill check again

No water or dirt anywhere near , comp is between 155 - 170 psi across the 4 cyl's ill try the test on the injectors tomorow , and ive checked for spark as well no probs , fuel pump seems to prime ok going by the sound of it. As I say im scratching my head , it was running fine when I parked it and won't start next day just does not make scense.

Thanks for the help

3 hours ago, isetta said:

do the plugs get wet?   some people would probably try starting with easystart spray. not tried it myself

No , plugs seem dry and theres no smell of petrol which it should do. Don't think ill use easy start it washes out the oilfilm in the bore and around the valve stems so increases wear but thanks for the thought.

Is the red immobiliser light flashing in a pattern?

45 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Is the red immobiliser light flashing in a pattern?

Immobiliser light stop flashing soon as the ignition is turned on and I belive that is correct but not sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1.6 said:

Immobiliser light stop flashing soon as the ignition is turned on and I belive that is correct but not sure.

Yep correct.

13 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Yep correct.

Right quick up date , check ana double checked all the ideas you all were kind enough to pass on , now have it narrowed down to fuel surplie as in there is not any. Fuel pump does not appear th be working as I thought it was. Checked for blown fuses all ok not sure which relay ( think its R4 ) so ill check to hole lot later. Inersure (sorry about my spelling )fuel cut out is all o.k so fingers crossed unless anyone knows anything else it could be. Thanks again for all your help.

Ian

6 hours ago, 1.6 said:

Right quick up date , check ana double checked all the ideas you all were kind enough to pass on , now have it narrowed down to fuel surplie as in there is not any. Fuel pump does not appear th be working as I thought it was. Checked for blown fuses all ok not sure which relay ( think its R4 ) so ill check to hole lot later. Inersure (sorry about my spelling )fuel cut out is all o.k so fingers crossed unless anyone knows anything else it could be. Thanks again for all your help.

Ian

According to diagrams looks to be R7. The fuel pumps seem to be a common occurrence in the MK1 maybe see if there was a revised one 

• Like 1

Check if there is a supply to the pump and go from there.

guessing at parts quickly gets expensive. 

• Like 2

Definitely sounds like fuel pump. Fuel air and spark. If any one is missing, no go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks , sorry been awhile but loads of crap going on ( as usual ) anyway car is now up and running great. In the end I did what I do best and went with my gut. Found the power feed to the fuel pump from the inertia switch ( green/orange ) cut it open and conected a power surpply and its the pump. Why oh why don't Ford just have a plate under the passanger seat to remove ? Taking a tank out on the side of the Rd ( make it worse I live on a bus route ) in the ***** rain just is not fun 😰 especialy at my age 👴. But all done 😃. Heater packed in straight away but a quick visit to the breakers and another motor/resistor (£20 the pair) and sorted.

So thanks for everyone's help 👍.

• Like 1