Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta ST - 6 weeks in

TimST2

I've had the ST 6 weeks now so I thought I'd do a quick review, specifically what it's like compared to my previous Fiesta. Before that, here's where the journey started...

Back in 2014 I decided that the Lotus Elise I'd been commuting in for the previous 9 years should become a weekend car for track days and club meets. I'd previously owned a 2000 Focus Zetec 1.8, and this time I wanted something quite new but low powered (I still had the Lotus after all) so I bought a 3000 mile 2012 Fiesta Zetec 1.25 in Race Red. When I went to pick it up with my wife we had to wait around in the showroom for a bit and ended up sitting in a brand new Fiesta ST. We both loved it. Fast forward to this year, and after 4 years of Fiesta ownership I thought it was time to finally get an ST.

So 6 weeks ago I picked up a 9000 mile 2016 ST-2 in Shadow Black with Navigation and Style Pack.

The ST is 4 years newer than my previous Fiesta, which was the pre-facelift model. I like both body styles but the aggressive styling of the Mk7 ST is, in my opinion, the best looking Fiesta Ford has produced so far. Obviously the 1.6 Ecoboost Turbo is light years (and 100 bhp) ahead of the 1.25 Duratec in terms of performance, and the heated Recaro half leather seats are fantastic. The lowered suspension and 17-inch alloys with Bridgestone Potenzas completes the look, especially with the anthracite paint and red calipers; but there's no denying that whilst the handling is much improved, the ride is firm and the road noise has definitely increased as a result. On the subject of noise though, I really like the induction and turbo noise of the ST. On a balanced throttle it's actually quieter than my previous Fiesta, but push the loud pedal (literally), and accelerating is quite an event in the ST.

Alongside the seats, the other ST-specific interior features are nice (kick plates, gear knob and steering wheel) along with the Sony DAB radio, navigation and Ford SYNC, even if it does use the same small 4 inch screen size. One minor irritation is how far away the seat belt is when you first reach to put it on. I guess it's down to the ST being 3-door instead of 5-door, but it's quite a stretch! Back outside there's something I never liked about either car - the ridiculously long aerial! Although I left it standard before, I've replaced it with a stubby Sparco aerial on the ST.

Road tax is only £20 more for the ST but insurance is about £100 more. I had a Ford service Plan for my previous Fiesta which I transferred over to the ST and that only costs £1 more per month. It also got me £100 off the purchase price of the ST. I'm expecting tyres to cost about £40 more per corner for the ST.

So was it worth paying another £8,000 and trading in a Fiesta Zetec for? Definitely. Is it a worthy stablemate to a Lotus Elise? Yes I think it is. On track the Lotus still wins hands down, but on the road the ST is probably the superior car for everyday use.

• Like 3

Wow, you did well to find that amount of miles on one. I thought I did well to find a 2017 with 16K :lol:.

Insurance for myself coming from a group 17 Ibiza to the group 30 Fiesta actually dropped my insurance by £50 a year.  However my road tax has went from £30 to the £140 which is a bit of a pain. 

My biggest gripe about the Fiesta is the fuel filling, that quick fill system is kinda horrible and I don't like the fact that the fuel door doesn't lock at all.  I hear what you're saying with the seat belt being very far back, but my FR was also a 5DR so that's why. As you said about the aerial, which we've already spoke about, I know a guy who works in Ford parts so I get a lovely discount, I actually went for the MK8 Fiesta stubby aerial as suggested by another member from this site, and it only cost me £10.

31 minutes ago, STJAY said:

Wow, you did well to find that amount of miles on one. I thought I did well to find a 2017 with 16K :lol:.

I actually bought my previous Fiesta from the same dealer - 2 years old and only 3000 miles!

32 minutes ago, STJAY said:

I know a guy who works in Ford parts so I get a lovely discount, I actually went for the MK8 Fiesta stubby aerial as suggested by another member from this site, and it only cost me £10.

I think mine cost £12. What's the Mk8 aerial like? This is what mine looks like now:

8074ab979d7867d0e0c930064733a3e4.jpg

• Like 1

It's great how much these mk7 STs are going for with low mileage. 

@STJAY £140 tax is better than £250 for the mk6 ST 😂. I think I'm going to feel it if I get one. It used to be £230 before but this government thought of increasing it. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, TimST2 said:

I actually bought my previous Fiesta from the same dealer - 2 years old and only 3000 miles!

I think mine cost £12. What's the Mk8 aerial like? This is what mine looks like now:

8074ab979d7867d0e0c930064733a3e4.jpg

Wow I've no idea how people can have a car that long and not do any sort of miles.  I've had mine from September and I've just shy of 3K on it :sweat:

MK8 one is grand, no interference or loss of signal and looks a million times better than the standard.  Pic below :D

stubby.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, zain611 said:

It's great how much these mk7 STs are going for with low mileage. 

@STJAY £140 tax is better than £250 for the mk6 ST 😂. I think I'm going to feel it if I get one. It used to be £230 before but this government thought of increasing it. 

It goes up every year mate, it'll be £270 after April 2020 on the current trend...  Could be worse though, Mk2 Focus ST is over £300!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, STJAY said:

Wow I've no idea how people can have a car that long and not do any sort of miles.  I've had mine from September and I've just shy of 3K on it :sweat:

MK8 one is grand, no interference or loss of signal and looks a million times better than the standard.  Pic below 😄

stubby.jpg

What is the normal price for the Mk8 aerial? If it's compatible with the Mk7 then I might be tempted to change. I'm quite well placed for DAB coverage according to a link posted in another thread (http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/) showing where the masts are.

**Edit** What is the part number if it will fit?

10 hours ago, Zico said:

What is the normal price for the Mk8 aerial? If it's compatible with the Mk7 then I might be tempted to change. I'm quite well placed for DAB coverage according to a link posted in another thread (http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/) showing where the masts are.

To be honest with you mate, I'm not sure at all about normal price or the part number, I have the invoice in my owners wallet so if I remember I'll dig it out and give you details.  As far as I'm aware its not very expensive at all like.  Well I live out in the sticks and I've never had an issue with radio reception before or after the change. 

• Like 1

If anything my DAB reception is better with the Sparco stubby aerial than the OEM one. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 8:56 AM, STJAY said:

Ask my Mrs - her car's done 6,000 miles in 4 years and I've probably done a third of that. Filled it up the other day - last time before that was in June!😁

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 8:58 AM, STJAY said:

@zain611 Wow that's a lot of money for all the size of the wee car. Still get it bought!! :laughing::laugh:

Sorry Jay I just saw how much you got yours for. I have seen a few with less than 50k miles going for 8 - 12k which honestly isn't bad for a 3 - 4 years old hot hatch. When I start working I don't have a clue what I want to save up for. Kind of liking the 2015 BMW M3 which are going for around £34k which is cheaper than the RS audis which are starting at £40k. 

14 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Ask my Mrs - her car's done 6,000 miles in 4 years and I've probably done a third of that. Filled it up the other day - last time before that was in June!😁

On my first year of owning my fiesta I've done only around 1 miles. This year might go a little over as I've been going out to other places excluding uni. Honestly don't see the point keeping a diesel as petrol might not be a problem with that sort of mileage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

On my first year of owning my fiesta I've done only around 1 miles. This year might go a little over as I've been going out to other places excluding uni. Honestly don't see the point keeping a diesel as petrol might not be a problem with that sort of mileage. 

Wow! That is low!😀 I'm sure you missed the odd nought there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/19/2018 at 10:42 PM, Zico said:

Finally remembered to check this.

Part number is 2002542 and it retails at an almighty £10.97 + VAT. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 11:57 AM, zain611 said:

Sorry Jay I just saw how much you got yours for. I have seen a few with less than 50k miles going for 8 - 12k which honestly isn't bad for a 3 - 4 years old hot hatch. When I start working I don't have a clue what I want to save up for. Kind of liking the 2015 BMW M3 which are going for around £34k which is cheaper than the RS audis which are starting at £40k. 

Oh no, I didn’t spend £16K on it. That was the mileage on it when I got it. I spent just shy of £12500. They knocked £200 off and gave me £6500 for the Ibiza I traded in. Which was £500 more than my own workplace told me they would give me for it. Saying that they sold it after 2 days of it being advertised for £8000. So they made enough on it. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 9:09 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That’s actually incredible like. That’s mental I wish I could get away with doing that sort of mileage 🤣

1 minute ago, STJAY said:

That’s actually incredible like. That’s mental I wish I could get away with doing that sort of mileage 🤣

Interestingly, low mileage isn't good for anything except fuel costs.  Depreciation goes much more on age than mileage, I've been really surprised how much value a 3 year old moon miler retains, compared to a 6 year old pedestrian mileage car...and by 10 years old mileage is largely irrelevant.  With the cost of tax, insurance and servicing as well, you get much better value for money doing 'average' mileage than low mileage...  Only way low mileage is good if it's a rare car kept in prestine condition for 30+ years to appreciate.  Enjoy it and get your moneys worth rather than worrying about piling on the miles! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Interestingly, low mileage isn't good for anything except fuel costs.  Depreciation goes much more on age than mileage, I've been really surprised how much value a 3 year old moon miler retains, compared to a 6 year old pedestrian mileage car...and by 10 years old mileage is largely irrelevant.  With the cost of tax, insurance and servicing as well, you get much better value for money doing 'average' mileage than low mileage...  Only way low mileage is good if it's a rare car kept in prestine condition for 30+ years to appreciate.  Enjoy it and get your moneys worth rather than worrying about piling on the miles! :biggrin: 

Does my mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi qualify as a rare car kept in pristine condition 🤣. You don't see them with a red dash, factory tints and part leathers together. I'd say the other good thing although doing low mileage is your still able to get your no claims as your driving. No claims and the time I've held my licence is kind of a big factor at the moment at my age. Thankfully insurance has begun to go below a £1000

32 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Going well off the original topic here (sorry @TimST2!), but yes, Tom's quite right, I've found over the years that low mileage cars give more trouble and cost more in repairs than well used ones. The Mrs's old Ka needed disc replacement regularly as they rusted through disuse, and tyres still need replacing as they age even if not that worn. But the Mrs likes the independence of her own car, particularly as she's now getting on a bit (hope she doesn't read this!), and it does come in handy sometimes (such as when I sold my previous car and then the Fiesta takes 6 months to arrive!).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Does my mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi qualify as a rare car kept in pristine condition 🤣. You don't see them with a red dash, factory tints and part leathers together. I'd say the other good thing although doing low mileage is your still able to get your no claims as your driving. No claims and the time I've held my licence is kind of a big factor at the moment at my age. Thankfully insurance has begun to go below a £1000

Lol, sadly not I'm afraid...it'd have to be a Focus RS or Mustang 5.0 if it has to be a Ford...  :biggrin: 

No claims would be the same regardless of mileage though although I guess you could argue you're more likely to crash if you do more miles.  I do fairly low mileage myself and have found the insurance premium increased when I put a lower mileage...  :unsure:  

• Like 1

Yep, even STs are too common.

I'm pleased I have a 2016 with the ST200 chassis upgrades and the Style Pack, but despite it being a desirable example, it's by no means rare or ever going to be a collectors item.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It could be argued that anything, however common now,  will have some rarity value eventually, simply because there are few around. I did see the other day that there are only something like 14 Morris Itals left ( and a good thing too, you may say!). However there does seem to be a demand from tv and film companies for "ordinary"cars for filming, otherwise viewers would get the impression that we all drove E-types back in the day (I wish!).😀

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club