Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant leak help?

Jackmarshalla

Was in heavy traffic on the way home and got an engine coolant temp light come on, got home and checked underside and found this?, Checked most reachable coolant pipes on the top/bottom end and couldnt feel anything wet seems like its somewhere under the battery, any ideas?

46397950_1767189500074505_4162441978388152320_n.jpg

46508947_460066494399384_6441671385960939520_n.jpg

3 minutes ago, stef123 said:

That’s gearbox oil

It is? My coolant has dropped from above max to below min so im not too sure

Certainly looks like it given it’s location. Does it feel oily?

• Like 1

Mine looked like that and I had to change the engine coolant water pipe it had a pin pick size hole but only leaks the the fan was on hot does this sound like yours 

s-l300-1.jpg

17 hours ago, Paul15 said:

Mine looked like that and I had to change the engine coolant water pipe it had a pin pick size hole but only leaks the the fan was on hot does this sound like yours 

s-l300-1.jpg

My front intercooler fan isn’t turning on either, probably why I overheated in traffic, the leak could possibly be the coolant boiling and leaking out one of the lines?

Does look like gearbox oil in the photo. Intercooler fan? Radiator fan I'm assuming you mean.

The normal places the petrol fiestas of yours leaks is the thermostat housing under the alternator. 

As for fan not working, have you got Aircon? If so, switch Aircon on and check to see if radiator  fan switches on. 

No the fan stays dead, checked fuses and relays and they seem all good 

If the fan stays dead with Aircon on, then you need to start looking at power going to fan engine running Aircon on.  Have you a multimeter? If not, you will need to let a garage have a look. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, iantt said:

If the fan stays dead with Aircon on, then you need to start looking at power going to fan engine running Aircon on.  Have you a multimeter? If not, you will need to let a garage have a look. 

Gonna borrow one from work tomorrow, do I just put air con on and see if plug going into fan is getting 12v?

39 minutes ago, iantt said:

You can do, or you can check the fuses first.

Ill try it tomorrow, If the plug is getting 12v when air con is on, means i need a new fan assembly?

18 hours ago, Jackmarshalla said:

Ill try it tomorrow, If the plug is getting 12v when air con is on, means i need a new fan assembly?

Fan works, gets 12v only problem now is I need to ever so slightly wiggle fan case it to get it started 😂

1 minute ago, stef123 said:

So you have a broken wire/loose connection.

Thats what i was thinking, however if my aircon is off the fan doesnt kick in, as soon as i turn it on the fans come on instantly and stop it from overheating

Had a coolant leak like the one in the pics, took my car to a local garage as could not see where it was coming from. He put it on the rams and it was the thermostat housing leaking. Fixed and no more leaks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 2:35 PM, iantt said:

The normal places the petrol fiestas of yours leaks is the thermostat housing under the alternator. 

On 11/20/2018 at 8:44 PM, fiesta1881 said:

Had a coolant leak like the one in the pics, took my car to a local garage as could not see where it was coming from. He put it on the rams and it was the thermostat housing leaking. Fixed and no more leaks. 

I had the same leak on my 1.5 diesel Fiesta. Replaced the thermostat housing, cured the leak.