Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BOOT OPEN WARNING LIGHT

Jhuxtable

I have recently purchased a Fiesta Titanium 1.4 diesel, and have encountered a couple of issues which i think may be linked.

First of all, after a day of heavy rain, i started the car up and immediately the boot open warning light flashed up despite the boot being firmly shut. For the first 5-10 minutes of driving, the light continued to flash on and off along with the warning tone and footwell and interior lights flashing as well. After 10 minutes of driving, the warning light went away and everything seemed fine. I'm wondering whether water is somehow getting into the boot switch and causing the issue??

The second issue..... intermittently, the car will struggle to start as if the battery has drained low (again, this seems to occur after rain).

The third issue.... i have noticed on occasion that when i turn on the ignition, a message displays stating that "alarm triggered - check vehicle". 

This has got me thinking that all 3 issues could possibly be linked... i.e. water is getting into the boot switch which is triggering the warning light/alarm which is then draining the battery??

Has anyone come across this issue at all and could offer any advice/suggestions please?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

I had a problem with my 09 Fiesta which showed a boot open warning light (which then intermittently came on and off during trips) despite it being shut after I washed the car inc. the boot rim. This appeared about once a month for a few months but then went away on its own.

Regarding all the other issues, do you have a machine that can check the battery charge level? Do you know how old the battery is? 

1 hour ago, Philipgod96 said:

I had a problem with my 09 Fiesta which showed a boot open warning light (which then intermittently came on and off during trips) despite it being shut after I washed the car inc. the boot rim. This appeared about once a month for a few months but then went away on its own.

Regarding all the other issues, do you have a machine that can check the battery charge level? Do you know how old the battery is? 

I don’t have a machine to check the battery unfortunately and having only just purchased the vehicle recently I’m unsure how old the battery is. The car starts fine the majority of the time, but like I say, it seems that almost every time it rains, the boot warning light appears and at the same time, the car struggles to start. 

If water is getting in,  unsure where/how and how to prevent this :(

The battery should have a date of manufacture on it somewhere. You can always test the voltage with a multimeter, even a cheapo one will be good enough for the job.

Best way to find water ingress is to get someone to hose the car whilst you sit in the boot with all the trim removed. It's usually either the lights or boot seal that fails. The open door sensor is located in the hatch itself so would be worth removing the boot trim to see if it has corroded due to getting wet and no longer making a circuit.

• Thanks 1

I have now resolved the water/boot issue - water was getting in through the rear wiper so i have sealed that up, and touch wood, there's been no issue since (and we've had lots of rain). However, i still have the intermittent starting issue so that would appear to be unrelated now. The problem is baffling me as sometimes it'll start no problem, and other times it'll struggle to start. Surely if it was the battery it would struggle to start every time?? Anyone have any suggestions please?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club