Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Malfunction, DPF = p2463 and p244b

Mrfm

Advice will be appreciated. I have a 2008 TDCi Zetec at 102k miles. I took the car to garage because of a sound. The mechanic checked under the car and showed me that one of the tubes connected to DPF was fully cut. He replaced it with a new tube. Within 10mins of local driving the car showed the 'Engine Malfunction' took it back to mechanic who used his machine to read the codes which where p2463 and p244b. Tried erasing the codes but didn't work. Rang a mate who has DPF problems with his titanium 2009. A problem he has not tackled for 4 years but car seems fine and his issue is somehting to do with DPF threshold . He suggested I use premium diesel like v power Shell and take it for a spin on the motorway. So I drive locally no issues. I have driven on the motorway first time but it feels like it is not pulling on the higher gears. While it can reach 60 and 70 it really takes its time and I been driving on gear 3 and 4 down the motorway. Can anyone help or give advice 

Is your car in limp mode (reduced power)? sounds like it is if it took a long ti me to reach 60/70 mph. If it has then I'd suggest not driving the car unless you're taking it to the mechanic, as you may cause the DPF to block up with soot. 

There are plenty of threads about this if you do a Google search but here's mine (on another forum) from March 2017... https://talkford.com/community/topic/314066-dpf-error-code-p2463/   Essentially, the fuel vaporiser is most likely blocked with carbon and will need to be replaced.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the reply. I can even reach 80 m/pH after a bit on motorway but feels like car is working harder. What I don't understand is why I have this problem if tube got fixed. Before when tube was cut (which obviously I didnt know that was the problem at the time) it pulled like normal. Btw I did see your thread previously. Thanks for link 

• 2 weeks later...

2008 models don't have vapourisers.

You will have to force regeneration of the DPF but I'm not sure if your test equipment can do that.

Otherwise run it in 3rd or 4th gear at ideally 3000 revs for 5-10 miles but warm up the engine first.

When you turn a/c on, does the fan kick in? Often it is the fan failure ( rotten pink cable) that prevents DPF regeneration and clogs up the filter.
I have seen few where mechanics replaced the whole exhaust system just to see the same problem again in few weeks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks to the last reply. I think the fan doesn't work as I had overheating last year and AA guy said fan is not working. I have tried putting in the Wynn's DPF cleaner  on two occasions and driving on motorway 3rd gear 4th and hitting 3-4 revs throughout the drive. Driving over 30-40 mins still get engine Malfunction sign with engine management light on and limp mode driving. Any other suggestions? My neighbour told me his son's car had same problems and he knows a mechanic who can clean the block. He said it may cost £130-150 and he will put the cleaner through the engine side (seen this done on YouTube). I may give it another two weeks before I take this option. 

You need to resolve the problem with the fan first.

There is a purple write coming from the plug on the fan.

This wire breaks often in the wiring loom that goes from the fusebox in the engine bay usually on the first branch.

I can't remember now if it connects in the fuse box or if it goes to the BCM but you can remove the air filter box and trace the loom to check the first branch from the fuse box. Undo the trunking and check for corrosion, especially for a green powder.

There should be a lot of topics about this issue.

ECU recognise lack of communication with the fan and will not start regeneration cycle so any other repairs will not cure the issue.

Tada https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/94666-ford-s-max-galaxy-radiator-cooling-fan-not-working/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

An update my power is back in the car and the engine malfunction sign is gone. Hitting 80/90ph is just like before. So what I should have added originally is that I had an engine management light on since Feb with Dpf codes but as it didn't cause driving issues I just thought it was a sensor issue and just kept driving normally and this engine management light came straight after changing my belt for the car in Feb (after 130k or 10 years which ever comes first). I do tend to drive motorway regularly. Obviously last few weeks I have had engine Malfunction sign. So I carried driving on the dual carriageway and motorway when I got a chance but used Wynne's Dpf cleaner two bottles on half a tank of v power Shell (never used this stuff before) I added both bottles a week a apart (was on holiday inbetween) after I put the diesel in. I got pretty frustrated this week. I didn't want to buy £10 a bottle Wynne's anymore so went Asda and picked up a Carlube Dpf cleaner for £6. This time I made sure I the tank was empty and put the Carlube in. I have to add I spilled most of it as it didn't go into my fuel tank opening as easy as the Wynne's. Filled up half v power Shell. Went on the dual carriageway I was talking to my wife on the way and all of sudden after 10 minutes noticed the engine malfunction was gone. Took it on the motorway after and all the power was back. Fingers crossed it stays that way. The engine management light still there. 

Unlikely it will last mate. DFPs have a lifespan. it will fill up with ash, Id seriously suggest you start planning for that day because one day probably not too far from now, its going to give up.

• Like 1

Today the engine management light also went off which I have had since Feb this year. 

• 2 years later...

Has it all been good since using the cleaning additives in the fuel?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club