Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie here

Plymouth.Nick

Hi I’ve recently purchased a very tidy 2009 focus 1.6 Zetec with smack on 100,000 on the clock , immaculate inside and out and drives smoothly and quietly I do however have one question? After starting the car and pulling away as soon as I reach about 10 mph there is a faint twang under the car , sometimes I nearly miss it but it’s there , it doesn’t happen again until I restart on the next journey. The dealer who I bought it off says it’s the abs self checking or arming , never heard of that before so I just want to be sure . Other than that so far it’s a lovely drive . 

As a footnote is there anything I should watch for?  It came with a new cam belt,water pump and tensioners plus new discs and pads for the front . The new mot was advisory free . 

Thankyou in anticipation.

there was a post about the noise within last 6 months …. I thinks it s common and normal, but I forget what causes it....

they last quite well, get a four spoke steering wheel.... u can start the upgrade with retrofit cruise control

• Thanks 1

Thanks Botus , I was just checking really , it doesn’t affect the car . Now I’ve sort of downsized with my previous car being an Audi A4 tdi which pulled like a train(the insurance However killed my pocket) and in comparison the focus is pedestrian, not something I can’t live with as I only use it in the city and maybe one motorway trip a month but is there a modest performance improvement that can be done or is it just the way it is? 

I have heard it that the abs does a check as you start off although it's not something I have ever looked into and as far as downsizing is concerned I def know where you are coming from, I've just got rid of my mapped 3.0d jag xf and bought a 1.0 ecoboost

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I was thinking of trying Tesco momentum 99 fuel , wonder if the increased octane will perk it up a bit . Going to give it a try and will report back . 

That twang is normal mate, I rarely notice it on mine anymore but it is alarming when it first happens, it is something to do with the abs 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The_Venom said:

I have heard it that the abs does a check as you start off although it's not something I have ever looked into and as far as downsizing is concerned I def know where you are coming from, I've just got rid of my mapped 3.0d jag xf and bought a 1.0 ecoboost

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I went from mapped  320hp Mazda 3 to 100hp  1.0 ecoboost focus. That's downsizing in the engine dept also. Don't regret the fuel consumption though.

• Like 1

on which models... (I have heard that mentioned here) mine (non esp) zetec climate has fully functional ABS and has NEVER made a noise like this and there shouldn't be anything going on to make a noise

the car has been in my family since 13k miles and 18 month old... now at 145k and 9 years ownership

I had my 57 plate 1.8 Zetec Climate for just over 8 years from new and it never made a noise like has been mentioned here.

• Like 1

Well most of us in this post must have an issue then otherwise something is not working for uz.

Forgot to add, on my mk2.5 1.6 2008 zetec petrol (with esp) the clunk is much worse when turning full lock left it's like a spring being released.

Doesn't do it on my 1.6 tdci 2014 focus

Well I think I’m getting used to it now , I certainly can’t hear it with he radio on . 🙂

On 11/17/2018 at 9:25 PM, Plymouth.Nick said:

Thanks Botus , I was just checking really , it doesn’t affect the car . Now I’ve sort of downsized with my previous car being an Audi A4 tdi which pulled like a train(the insurance However killed my pocket) and in comparison the focus is pedestrian, not something I can’t live with as I only use it in the city and maybe one motorway trip a month but is there a modest performance improvement that can be done or is it just the way it is? 

Other than keeping the powertrain components in good condition i.e. fuel filter, oil, air filter, sparks plugs, HT leads etc, there really isn't much you can do to a naturally aspirated engine to increase performance, unless you wanted to spend £££.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club