Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horrible Turbo noise - is it knackered?

Greggo_704

I fitted a new turbo to my car a couple of months ago after a blocked DPF destroyed it. Before  fitting new turbo I did the full bulletin that goes  along with a new turbo - i.e cleaning all pipe work, replacing oil feed pipe , removing the filter from lower banjo etc etc. It has been absolutely fine, pulling really well, but after a quick pull out of a junction it has now decided to  make a horrendous noise as per the below video. At first I thought it was a boost leak, but when running with out the pipes etc it still makes this horrible kazoo like noise. Ive checked the compressor wheel though and no in and play, a tiny bit of left and right, and no damage to the fins. Any ideas of what this might be? Is the turbo knackered again? 😞

Just for info the oil on the compressor wheel in video was from my hands, so it wasnt leaking out.

Bit of an update to this, when I pull of the resonator pipe that connects to turbo and goes to intercooler,  the noise isnt as nasty as it is here with that wierd oscilating sound, its the same pitch but more of  a smoother sounding wooooooo noise, but I did notice from watching my clip back, but to me the VNT actuator doesn;t look like its moving much?

I do have  a broken clip on the resonator pipe (as you can see in the video) so im wondering if that is not helping the issue and possibly making the noise worse if its not sealing correctly.

21 hours ago, Greggo_704 said:

I do have  a broken clip on the resonator pipe (as you can see in the video) so im wondering if that is not helping the issue and possibly making the noise worse if its not sealing correctly.

I did think that yesterday, sounds like it's leaking boost there so that needs to be sorted.

As for VNT vanes, they don't move much while stationary.  Needs to be under load which is hard to replicate on a driveway.  They do move when you first start the engine which is exactly what I'd expect. 

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I did think that yesterday, sounds like it's leaking boost there so that needs to be sorted.

As for VNT vanes, they don't move much while stationary.  Needs to be under load which is hard to replicate on a driveway.  They do move when you first start the engine which is exactly what I'd expect. 

Thanks, I am hoping it is a leak at that plastic resonator and not something else. The sound is a lot friendlier with the pipe off I must admit I've never ran turbo with that pipe off before is a bit of noise normal anyway with it off?

• 3 weeks later...

Still not got to the bottom of this, tried changing o-ring on resonator, issue remains but the sound does seem to be coming from compressor. Is it that turbo itself could be bust inside? Bearings? No play at all in shaft , but there is no boost when driving and is very noisy.

Is it in limp mode or can you get the full rev range eventually?  Boost is restricted in limp mode so I'm just wondering if there's a sensor fault somewhere, it wouldn't necessarily bring the dash lights on.

You should be able to feel some play or see some scoring inside the compressor housing if the bearings were failing, I assume it's not stiff or jerky to spin by hand?

Was it a full new turbo or just the cartridge?  Decent quality or cheap?  

Not stiff no and it spins nicely. Come to think of it, there is an error code about maximum regenerations reached when scanning via ForScan, does that put car into limp mode?  it does feel now you mention it like limp mode, but I can still hear the weird whine of the turbo.

There is a fault where the sensor for the FACM isn't working, so I'm thinking this is why its not regenerating, as its not putting the additive in.

And  it was not an OEM or remanufactured turbo it was from eBay, but was a company that someone on this forum recommended and used in theirs with success on same engine. I'm guessing it could be down to the part itself, but prior to that it was working nicely and pulled along very well.

I'm at my end of my patience with this car to be honest, it was off the road for 8 months, get it working again with a new DPF and turbo and now its doing this. Luckily I still have my faithful petrol Seat Leon Mk1 which flew through its MOT last week - was meant to be a cheap  runabout while I fixed the Ford, but thinking now it may have to continue to be my only working car!