Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Insignia coolant loss egr??

Jordan99
聽Share

Hi all! So I brought a 2010 insignia 1.8 last week (private sale), really nice car but has a coolant loss issue. Fortunately I鈥檝e still got my Focus parked up outside 馃槃

the owner before me told me the expansion tank had a hairline crack in it, common on these apparently. So I鈥檝e replaced that along with a coolant change.聽

Unfortunatly im still loosing coolant but got no idea where?聽

Ive done all the usual checks for a head gasket, no symptoms at all.聽

After a bit of research, another common issue found relating to the egr.聽

Is it possible to loose coolant through the egr? If so, how could I check & repair?聽

Am I right in thinking the egr is located on top of the gearbox?聽

Thanks all!聽

Didn't realise Ford made a car called the Insignia...

But yeah never believe what the owner tells you, do your own investigating and find out for yourself. Many people think car dealers are bad liars, wait till you see a private seller, they do anything to get rid of the car (not everyone obviously). Car dealers get taken to court and have warranties to deal with. Private is sold as seen.

There are coolant lines that pass through the EGR, so it's possible to have a leak from there. Thermostat housing could be another culprit.

• Like 1

The EGR pipe has a water jacket around it which acts as a heat exchanger.聽 Hot exhaust is cooled before recirculated, and cold coolant is heated up by this for a quicker engine warm up.

EGR coolers do fail regularly across the board so that would be a likely culprit. 聽

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The EGR pipe has a water jacket around it which acts as a heat exchanger.聽 Hot exhaust is cooled before recirculated, and cold coolant is heated up by this for a quicker engine warm up.

EGR coolers do fail regularly across the board so that would be a likely culprit. 聽

would you happen to know where is located on my car? been googling it for ages but no joy and considering im unsure as to what it looks like, just looking under the bonnet wont help!

Its a insignia 1.8 petrol if i didn't mention earlier

It hasn't got one as far as I'm aware. So good luck looking for it. I would recheck the coolant聽 expansion bottle , it's the level sensor that normally leaks past the seal.聽

17 hours ago, Jordan99 said:

Its a insignia 1.8 petrol if i didn't mention earlier

Oh!!聽 I assumed the 1.8 was a typo in the first post and it was actually a 1.9 diesel...聽 Don't know about the petrols I'm afraid, must be thirsty in something of that size lol.聽 A quick Google does seem to suggest they don't have an EGR though, and I'd trust Ian on that as well...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club