Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Orange engine shaped light on

Chris1234

Hi all,

My engine light has just came on, although I can't feel any difference driving the car all is otherwise fine.

Has anyone got any ideas on typical things that make this light come on?

I drove home from work and all was fine, got up next morning and the little light is on. The only possible thing was some extreme rain and hail overnight but I don't see why that could affect it.

Hope someone can help,

Cheers,

Chris.

I'd get your local garage, or at least someone with a code reader, to check it asap, in case it could cause any internal damage if you continue to use it, it has come on for a reason, if you can't get the codes read then check your handbook for details of why it might have come on, might be something easy to fix now but could be costly later if left.

Codes need to be read as suggested above.

Without knowing if it's even petrol or diesel, let alone the engine size, we can't make any educated guesses.

• Like 1

Thanks for you reply guys,

It is a 1.6 petrol (52 plate)

I saw a YouTube clip suggesting that it could be air in the fuel tank caused by either a worn cap seal or it not being properly tightened, with a battery disconnect re set being enough to clear it? I will give this a go before running it down for a code check.

Thanks guys,

Chris.

There is always air in the fuel tank, it's not a problem.  

A battery reset might remove the light, but I really would recommend having the code checked anyway.  On a 1.6 petrol with no noticeable change it's likely to be emissions related, lambda sensor for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have got codes p2119 & p2176 as well as a p0030

The first two are throttle position sensor codes and the last one says heater control circuit bank 1

It looks like the throttle body is hidden away under the plastic intake manifold pipes and looks very hard to even get at and I am not sure if the heater control code is relevant.

The car is popping and banging quite loud on idle and has no power at all also the brake pedal is very hard with  no movement and very little braking effect. Up until I read the codes the car showed a flashing EAC FAIL message.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.

P0030 is the lambda sensor...  That'll be the one causing the EML.

For the other issue, you've probably got a split vacuum hose somewhere which will stop the vacuum getting to the brake booster and be making the engine run too lean.

Thanks for that Tom, I will trace the vacuum hoses from the brake booster which I am guessing will be around the master cylinder area.

Thanks again,

Chris.

brake booster aka servo is usually between the master cylinder and the bulkhead.

The leak will not neccessarily be in the hose to the servo but could be.  It could be anywhere in the intake where there is vaccuum eg. inlet manifold/ throttle valve

p0030 oxygen sensor heater circuit. The oxygen sensor only works properly when hot. To help it work properly before the exhaust is hot, it has a heater built into the oxygen sensor. If that heater has failed it will mean there may be adverse emissions when cold but it should make no difference when the car has warmed up.

Thanks for your reply, I am off on Thursday so will have a dig about and report back.

Thanks again,

Chris.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:48 AM, TomsFocus said:

Codes need to be read as suggested above.

Without knowing if it's even petrol or diesel, let alone the engine size, we can't make any educated guesses.

It must have or had an engine anyway ☺

The "check engine" would surly prompt the person to state the variant.

My engine malfunction light came on recently because my fuel filter was blocked restricting flow.TornKindAchillestang-max-1mb.gif.cf5c082af867c060a1e68be8c36dfcf0.gif

Update...

i can't find any air or suction leaks at least top side of the engine so will put it up on ramps tomorrow and go underneath to see what is to be seen down there. 

Could anyone please post a picture of sketch of where the pipes for the vacuum system are and where they come from / go to?

Also could anyone confirm that the throttle body/sensor is hidden right in the middle of inlet manifold where it looks very hard to get to without stripping the manifold off first?

I have noticed a general lack of information on the net and on youtube, whereas there seems to be step by step detailed videos of other fords, the Fusion seems to throw a whole load of U.S. Fusion stuff up which looks like a whole different car.

Hi all,

Just an update on today's findings.

FIXED!!

I found a small stone wedged in the throttle body housing that had the butterfly wedged partially open.

The EAS warning and all other signs of faults disappeared as quick as they came ( all except the engine light for the oxygen sensor)

I have cleared all faults on a scanner and I now have no lights on, so will be keeping a close eye in the coming days. I sort of half expect the oxygen sensor to throw another code as it came on before all the other problems so I may have a dodgy one.

Will keep you all posted if I have any more illuminations

Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas,

Chris.

• Like 1

Glad you've found the cause and it was cheap & easy fix!

Might be a good idea to check the air filter though...stones shouldn't be able to get past it! :unsure: 

Thanks Tom, will have a look at it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club