Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6TDCI loss of power when warm

Allan J

All,

New here. I realise lots of posts with similar issues to what I have so apologies trying to get some clarity as I couldnt see any real definitive fix.

I have a Focus 1.6TDCI Zetec 2009 that looses power after about 20 mins of driving - so I am deducing rightly or wrongly the problem occurs when car gets warm. I dont think its related to air filter, fuel filter etc otherwise problem would occur from cold - same goes with pipework being split or loose - or is the hot/cold thing pointing at a particular pipe? No warning lights - just lack of power. I am off to read the codes and will let you know what I find. Any first sensible thoughts from anybody. Thanks.

Code read - PO42F - EGR valve stuck in closed position.  Clean? Replace? or blank off?

Edited by Allan J

Clean first and replace failing that if the valve isn't operating or is passing.

Blanking is an MOT fail (If they can spot it). However it may struggle to pass the emissions without it and may trigger the EML to come on which is also a straight fail now.

OK - thanks will clean and give an update on the EGR - my other half's Octavia sailed through MOT with EML last week 😀 - also EGR but with no symptoms of power loss so leaving that one well alone

Chances are the tester doesn't know about the changes or doesn't care enough to fail it as the rule is a load of crap.

• Like 1

All,

I haven't had a lot of time to make progress on my EGR valve stuck closed issue. I have bought a new Valeo one for a reasonable price... here is the link for anyboy who is interested..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VALEO-FORD-EGR-VALVE-1-6-TDCI-BRAND-NEW-1338675-1439414-1526689/173075791280?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D55148%26meid%3D7df74851d356430fbbbe067ccae321e6%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D173075791280&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

I guess am thinking if I am going to trouble of cleaning I may as well fit new for a £100.

Anyway - what is the easiest way to get the Hardware/SW to ask the EGR to do the relearn values. I already have a carista bluetooth dongle - any program compatible with that?

Many thanks

as regards the warning light and MOT.  For Diesels it is some date in 2008 (cant remember which month) where it wont fail if older than that or will fail if newer. this cut off date is a recent update in the regs - it was not in the May 2018 major update, it is newer than that. Was the Octavia older?

I am intereted to hear how you get on with the fix as my brother has a 1.6tdci fiesta with similar problems 

The Octavia that passed recent MOT with EML was a 2010 model  - I guess the MOT station turned a blind eye.... back to Focus 1.6 TDCI - egr…...I will update when I can - I am still trying to sort out dongle and a laptop so I can run FORSCAN - before I attempt the EGR replacement.

Allan

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club