Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 XL Pack Ranger ABS problems

ED66210

Hi all,

About six month ago I had the ABS, the ESP and the "service soon" light on just when I engaged the 4H, I went to the local service who diagnose rear left ABS sensor failure, I went to the nearest Ford service in Spain (I live close to the border), who confirmed, so I ordered a new sensor, as I previously received a letter from Ford France to replace back seat lock spring so I also asked the spanish guy if he could do it and agree with him to replace it myself at the same time he would change the spring.

So we did everything, he replaced the spring, I replaced the sensor although It had the pretty same internal resistance as the right wheel one, around 0.4Mohm, but the ABS, ESP and "service soon" light stayed on, he plugged his diagnostic and still got rear left ABS sensor failure (I think it was open circuit), I checked the pulse wheel and it's clean and spinning correctly when rotating the wheel hub, I'm thinking of a bad cable between sensor and ABS module? any idea?

thanks

ED

France

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can find the electric schematics of the 2011 Ranger?

• 1 month later...

Bit late replying but did this turn out to be your EGR valve by any chance?

Same happened to mine & it turned out to be the EGR valve

The EGR? interresting as I noticed something strange about a year ago, driving from the mountain were I live, down the the sea level, I had to refuel half way but I was already at low altitude, when I resarted, ESP, ABS and warning indicators turned on, everything disapeared when I got back home at 1700m altitude, I did search on the internet and found someone in a similar situation (altitude changes, ESP and ABS warning...) on a french board, he explained he went to his Ford agent, couldn't find or explain what went wrong, decided to upgrade "firmwares" and since no problem at all, he had to pay 150€ for reprograming, I believe there are buggs that require reprograming, my Ranger seems to require it although it is not as dramatic as some others that risk serious engine damage.

My opinion is that, with altitude changes, the EGR control is different (and evantually deactivated on some older cars), and at a certain point, a bugg appears causing (fake) error indicator to turn on, for sure I will go back the the spanish Ford agent who proposed me to reprogram my Ranger for free, why do DPF and Water in Diesel indicators never turned on as my DPF went totaly blocked, and as I recently saw on Forscan a Water in Diesel warning? it all weard!!!

Mine kept coming up that the 2 rear ABS sensors & the EGR were faulty - the ABS sensors weren't faulty at all, found out £180 later after changing them - local garage said it's the EGR so bought a new one, changed it and lights went off but new EGR I bought off eBay was crap, bought a genuine ford one second-hand off a breakers - no problem since.

Funny how altitude can affect things like that.

My powertrain light just came on - DPF blocked (75% soot) tried a DPF static regeneration, didn't work - local garage says he can delete the software for the DPF so it doesn't affect the MOT.

Altitude has something to do for sure, in Forscan I can see there a atmospheric pressure sensor in the Ranger, at 1700m where I live, there's less oxygen than at sea level, and for engine efficiency purpose, the amount of recycled gas is reduced. I owned a Citroen Berlingo, 1.9D not a common rail one with HDI engine, just the good old 1.9D that was used on BX, 305, ZX, Xsara and lot more, build 2003, kept it 12 years, every year cathalytic got blocked and especially when I was I was spending 2 week on holiday where I live now, I did search on the internet and found a document made by students in a Engine Design school, and the document was dedicated to this car with this particular engine, and there was an atmospheric sensor that would deactivate the EGR at a certain altitude, but with a closed EGR, the entire flow of exaust gas goes through the cathalytic... and it quickely get blocked!

What was wrong with your EGR?

I know for sure mine doesn't work (close) very well, I can't see it with Forscan, it return a 35% positionning error, I believe this is due to abnormal amount of exaust gas that went through it when DPF was blocked and accumulate in the EGR, but no error on the dashboard at all, I will have to clean it for sure, it's just a PITA to access! So I'm still thinking of a solution with pipe inspection camera (I have a cheap one), a vaccum cleaner, and a rim cleaner injector!!! weard but should work!

As for the static regeneration, I don't like the idea to have the engine running for 45min at 2800 rpm, having Diesel going in the engine oil, and having to change oil and filter right after that, doesn't sound "mecanicaly serious" to me, that's the reason why I cleaned it manualy and since, it all working good and periodic regeneration works fine!

EGR was stuck in closed position all the time.

I agree it is a PITA to change an EGR valve but have got it down to about 30 minutes now after I did it a couple of times. The eBay 'new' ones are not very good and caused it's own problems when fitted, got a 2nd hand genuine Ford one from a breakers and now all good for the last 8 months or so.

I won't be doing a DPF regen again, I agree it doesn't sound a good process mechanically hence why I will get the software deleted. 

Yes, tried cleaning EGR but same results, hence why it was changed.

2nd hand one cleaned before it was put on as well, wife was well chuffed lol

ok so maybe the EGR's actuator wasn't working at all! I bet you saved good money! :-)

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks

New to this forum , but would appreciate any similar feedback on my 2015 Ranger Wildtrax 3.2 4x4. ABS failures.

My car is treated with "kid gloves" no harsh terrain or rough driving, mainly long distance cruising, and after 4 years I only have 25K Miles on the clock, but in this time I have had to replace in the last 12 months two front ABS sensors and now the rear passengers ....these have occurred , 12 months ago first front one ..then 3 months ago the other front which strangely went when I was towing an empty trailer ( 1 tonne) ..( towbar if Ford installed), then this month again a sensor failed light appears and indicates the rear passenger.
Have other owner  found this a "normal occurrence" ?

Last year almost to the day my 2015 Ford Ranger Wildtrak ABS and engine warning lights came on, I have the Wildtrak serviced by Ford and therefore get free breakdown cover, I called out the breakdown service and they connected to their laptop and reset the warnings, the ABS stayed on and was told to get Ford to replace the ABS sensors on the two front wheels.

Today the engine and ABS warning lights came on, the vehicle is due a service this month, but surely the ABS sensors shouldn't need replacing every year ??

I have only done 52K miles in 5 years, it does get used in 4x4 high and low when in fields, I also tow 3.5 ton digger and trailer occasionally and I have a double axle large caravan.  I have never had any issues towing and the Wildtrak is more than capable of doing all these jobs.

I just resent being ripped off by Ford Agents every year !

• 4 months later...

What was your out come with the wheel sensors? 

Im having similar problems. 

I can out of 4x4 once,and it had a fit and wouldn't drive properly. I had it looked at and was told the sensors need changing. I've had 2 changed and now the rear needs doing apparently. I get a humming noise from the passenger side, every time I set off around 2pm then it goes. Now the lights have come on again, it stayed humming, but when I stop it stops and the starts when I set off again.  And then eventually stops completely. I thinking it has to be something other than the sensors. If I can't figure it out. It's going!