Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7.5 125 vs 140?

derek09

I'm definitely going to get a 2016/17 Fiesta 7.5 but I'm a bit stuck on the engine that I should get? Is the extra 15hp and gear ratios really worth the extra insurance costs? Is there a dramatic difference in acceleration? 

Thanks

I have a 2017 mk7.5 st line 140 fiesta from new and i am very impressed with it. Still so much so that I still feel it accelerates better and sounds better than the Mrs mk8 st line X 140.

I was loaned a mk7.5 StLine 125 for a while and yes the difference was very noticeable to me. 

I believe the 125 is just a remapped 100 but the 140 has differences such as turbo, gearbox, driveshafts etc. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

Is the insurance difference really that much and noticeable for you? If it is then maybe yes the 125 or even the 100  would be more suited. I wouldn't have thought it would be that much difference if you have a good insurance history and clean licence.

I have, for many years now lived by getting what you want if the costs allow as if you get something else, you may always end up regretting your decision.

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

I believe the 125 is just a remapped 100 but the 140 has differences such as turbo, gearbox, driveshafts etc. Someone correct me if I am wrong please

Gearbox is the same IB5 however has a different differential to alter the gear ratio. Also has uprated head gasket and map obviously. I'm sure I've seen somewhere the turbo is slightly different, but not the driveshafts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @derek09, this topic has come up a few times now, have a look through the thread "Mk 8 ST-Line X early impressions" where it is discussed at length, including comparitive performance figures.

My pennyworth - not owned a 125 but have driven a fair few and now have a Mk 8 140. To me, there is not a night and day difference, the torque on the 140 is fairly similar so you only really feel the extra performance over 4,000 rpm. To me, the 140 does feel a little freer revving, though I'm still undecided as to whether this is due to the extra power or the lower gearing.

As @Mavroz says, the Mk 8 feels a little less "perky" - it has put on a bit of weight - though it could just seem that way due to better refinement, but as you're looking at the 7.5 this would not be an issue for you. I think the 140 is only a couple of groups higher so insurance should not  be that much of an issue. 

Would recommend you try both if possible and go for the one you prefer, as Martin suggests.

The problem with the mk7.5 is it only has 5 gears and you will really notice this in the 140PS given the shorter gear ratio. At 70MPH in the 140PS there is more engine noise due to the higher engine RPM and you get less fuel economy compared to the 125PS.

I was doing a lot of motorway driving when I had my mk7.5 140PS and the engine noise and 38MPG was very disappointing. To which note I px it for an ST180 and the difference made me very happy. The ST180 is much quieter when crusing at 70MPH, does around 2000RPM 6th gear, and I got around 44-48MPG on the same daily journey to work.

I would not recommend the mk7.5 140PS for motorway driving.

To be fair I have never really used motorways much other than travel to and from the airports a couple of times a year so I cannot comment on this style of driving.

The part where I think it is very good is town driving. Very nippy and responsive at roundabouts etc . Very impressive for the odd overtake when conditions permit. 😏

The difference between a 125 and a 140 is very noticeable to me as I said previously.

2 hours ago, Ad@m said:

The ST180 is much quieter when crusing at 70MPH, does around 2000RPM 6th gear, and I got around 44-48MPG on the same daily journey to work.

Good point, depending on the type of driving. According to the Autocar road test, 6th gear in the ST180 is 26.5mph per 1000rpm, so 2,641 rpm at 70. 6th in the Mk 8 ST-Line 140 is pretty similar, 26.16 mph per 1,000rpm, so 2,675 rpm at 70, whereas I think the Mk 7.5 would be doing around 3,000.

So if the budget would stretch, either of those could be a better option if a lot of M-way or dual carriageway driving was required, though insurance may be an issue with the ST.

I don't do a lot of that sort of driving myself, but can confirm that the Mk 8 is pretty refined that situation. 

The problem with the mk7.5 is it only has 5 gears and you will really notice this in the 140PS given the shorter gear ratio. At 70MPH in the 140PS there is more engine noise due to the higher engine RPM and you get less fuel economy compared to the 125PS.

I was doing a lot of motorway driving when I had my mk7.5 140PS and the engine noise and 38MPG was very disappointing. To which note I px it for an ST180 and the difference made me very happy. The ST180 is much quieter when crusing at 70MPH, does around 2000RPM 6th gear, and I got around 44-48MPG on the same daily journey to work.

I would not recommend the mk7.5 140PS for motorway driving.

I wouldn't say the engine noise at motorway speeds is an Issue for me in my MK7.5 ST- line 140 , road noise form the low profile tyres is more intrusive but I wouldn't say it was that bad.

I don't know what speeds you were doing on the Motorway Ad@m to get such low mpg figures, but at a steady 70 mph I get about 53mpg, goes down to about 46 if I do 80mph (summer time figures, knock about 4mpg off those if it's below about 5 degrees C outside)

Tyre noise is definitely more of an issue around my area. The highways people are forever bodging repairs by "surface dressing" i.e. spreading a thin layer of tar and throwing chippings on it, most of which don't stick properly anyway. The result is a really noisy surface and loads of stone chips in your paint and windscreen!😈

Same speeds as in my ST180 and no more than 70MPH.

1 hour ago, Blatto said:

I wouldn't say the engine noise at motorway speeds is an Issue for me in my MK7.5 ST- line 140 , road noise form the low profile tyres is more intrusive but I wouldn't say it was that bad.

I don't know what speeds you were doing on the Motorway Ad@m to get such low mpg figures, but at a steady 70 mph I get about 53mpg, goes down to about 46 if I do 80mph (summer time figures, knock about 4mpg off those if it's below about 5 degrees C outside)

I'd have liked the 140, but the Red and Black Fiesta's just looked terrible to me. So ST-Line was my next consideration, and they just don't come as loaded as other models.

I ended up with a 125 Titanium X and a Bluefin remap 🙂

• Like 1

125 with Mountune (MP135) is faster than the 140 (due to the gear ratios).

My insurance quoted me a one-off admin fee for MP135 so might be worth asking yours.  

I've bought a 140 black edition a few weeks ago and it was everything I wanted and needed. But like others have said, try taking both for a test and see what you prefer, because what's for us might not be for you.

The only issue for me with the black edition was the red trim around the front grilles that made it look to me (yes bizarrely) like and old sl@pper that had overdone the red lipstick.....

Went for an all black St Line instead.

Do get the occasional joke about the lipstick it has, although was looking for a new car for a while, saw this and something just said get it. So I did lol. Got a few things lined up but not sure it it's exactly worthy of a build thread :unsure:

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 5:17 AM, Mavroz said:

I have a 2017 mk7.5 st line 140 fiesta from new and i am very impressed with it. Still so much so that I still feel it accelerates better and sounds better than the Mrs mk8 st line X 140.

I was loaned a mk7.5 StLine 125 for a while and yes the difference was very noticeable to me. 

I believe the 125 is just a remapped 100 but the 140 has differences such as turbo, gearbox, driveshafts etc. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

Is the insurance difference really that much and noticeable for you? If it is then maybe yes the 125 or even the 100  would be more suited. I wouldn't have thought it would be that much difference if you have a good insurance history and clean licence.

I have, for many years now lived by getting what you want if the costs allow as if you get something else, you may always end up regretting your decision.

Where did you notice the difference most? Was it mostly in 4th and 5th or 1-3 as well? 

Hi derek may be you prefer a 125 version which can come loaded with more extras depending on your trim level , i have titanium x 125 

Hi

I have a titanium x 125 like Ian318, i also drove a 100bhp ecoboost and there is not a lot of difference IMO but i haven't driven a 140bhp ecoboost but i don't think it would be much quicker.

Me personally would do what Ian318 says go for a 125bhp loaded with extras and be very happy with that. just watch the fuel consumption, mine is only averaging 31.7mpg doing a 2 mile commute to work and back!!!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, statts said:

Hi

I have a titanium x 125 like Ian318, i also drove a 100bhp ecoboost and there is not a lot of difference IMO but i haven't driven a 140bhp ecoboost but i don't think it would be much quicker.

Me personally would do what Ian318 says go for a 125bhp loaded with extras and be very happy with that. just watch the fuel consumption, mine is only averaging 31.7mpg doing a 2 mile commute to work and back!!!!!!

140 acceleration appears much faster than the 125, sounds far different and handles much better.

As I have said in a few posts now the 140 seems like a completely different car to the 125 bhp.

The only extras I wanted and find useful is Satnav, privacy glass and folding mirrors. The only other thing I would have to have in any car now since also having a mk8 st line X is the digital electronic temp control as it warms up very quickly when it is cold, compared to the manual control on the mk7.5.

Another thing as well, you mentioned the insurance costs. I got my 140 65 plate at the start of the month and my insurance for the year was 800 without a box, I'm 18 and have a years driving experience with only named driver no claims (policy wasn't in my name last year but is now) so depending on factors I doubt you'd be any more than 1000 yearly

Our 17 StLine 140 and StLine X 140 are approx £33 each/month, the StLineX is ever so slightly cheaper at around £28 if I remember rightly as the Mrs deals with insurances. These are also on a multicar policy. 10+ years no claims, no points. Age 40+.