Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Fiesta maintenance/ Main Dealer Impressions

DG97

Then surely Ford know the oil will last 2 years? Why would they extend service periods, it would cost dealerships or even Ford money. It doesn't make sense, if something oil related happens, Ford would be accountable if they have increased service periods wouldn't they?

Breakdown cover is part of our insurance, so the cover would not necessarily be needed but the Mrs will have her Mk8 booked in for the yearly check as it is free and due mid March.

oil life is entirely dependant on the customers driving style and distances etc.  Longlife is fine if you're gently cruising on the motorway every day - and this is done to make Fords seem more appealing to businesses for their fleet vehicles who will be doing that sort of drive.

It's not so great if you're a carer/pizza delivery doing 20 stop start town journeys a day...

• Like 1

As I mentioned in my earlier post back in November, if I was certain that I'd be handing the car back by the end of the warranty, I'd probably stick with the recommendation and let the next owner worry about it. I should think the Ford bean counters will have calculated that the failure risk within warranty is pretty low. However, it's possible that we may hang on to the car after 3 years or pass it on to a friend or relative. Also the service team at my local dealer recommend a change at 12 months for low mileage users and from 15 years experience as a customer I tend to trust them more than Ford.

As Tom says above, and as I mentioned in my earlier post, I quite understand why Ford are wanting to offer extended intervals to high mileage business users to compete with VW and others who have done this for years, I just wish they'd all done it earlier when I was doing 25-30,000 a year!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

As I mentioned in my earlier post back in November, if I was certain that I'd be handing the car back by the end of the warranty, I'd probably stick with the recommendation and let the next owner worry about it. I should think the Ford bean counters will have calculated that the failure risk within warranty is pretty low. However, it's possible that we may hang on to the car after 3 years or pass it on to a friend or relative. Also the service team at my local dealer recommend a change at 12 months for low mileage users and from 15 years experience as a customer I tend to trust them more than Ford.

As Tom says above, and as I mentioned in my earlier post, I quite understand why Ford are wanting to offer extended intervals to high mileage business users to compete with VW and others who have done this for years, I just wish they'd all done it earlier when I was doing 25-30,000 a year!

100% agree.  It's about driving style & journey distances and increasing your chances toward better reliability beyond the initial 3 years, rather than a statistical calculation by a manufacturer who realistically may be 'choosing' to only consider the in-warranty failure rate versus the improved sales generated by longlife servicing.

One thing that stuck in my mind from the first time I ever bought a Haynes Manual, for a motorbike in the late 80's early 90's, was a line in there that I'm paraphrasing...

"the best and easiest maintenance you can do for your vehicle that'll help maintain it is to do regular oil changes"

On bikes I've changed the oil far more often than I ever have done for a car but part of me does think 18k miles or 2 years????

I actually work in the motor trade, bikes, and manage the warranty process for 4 different bike manufacturers and service schedules are being extended by mileage but not by time, they all say mileage or on the year still. One manufacturer has changed their mileage from a reasonably low mileage to a more in a line with other manufacturers mileage for their 2019 bikes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ElliotReid said:

On bikes I've changed the oil far more often than I ever have done for a car but part of me does think 18k miles or 2 years????

Wouldn't like to think of bikes that rev to 15,000+rpm going that long without a change!😱

• 2 weeks later...

Had the car in today for convenience check plus oil/filter change as mentioned earlier. Chatting to the service team, I again asked what was different on a Mk 8 to warrant the move to a 2 year interval. As far as they are aware, nothing - same spec and quality of oil, no physical changes to engine specifically to cope with longer service intervals, so it looks like a commercial, rather than a technical, decision.

Eric, I guess the oil/filter change was at cost to you, so, do you mind telling me how much that was please?

1 minute ago, nashdm2 said:

Eric, I guess the oil/filter change was at cost to you, so, do you mind telling me how much that was please?

When I had mine done I had the oil, oil filter and a pollen filter at touching £150 which I felt was a little bit too pricey so next time, I'll probably let my local mechanic have a go for a fraction of the cost. 

5 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

The Ford website currently quotes £99 for the convenience check,  I got the check + oil/filter change for that.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DG97 said:

When I had mine done I had the oil, oil filter and a pollen filter at touching £150 which I felt was a little bit too pricey so next time, I'll probably let my local mechanic have a go for a fraction of the cost. 

My trusted local garage charged me about the same lol.  I did specify Magnatec but even so I was a bit surprised.

29 minutes ago, tef89 said:

My trusted local garage charged me about the same lol.  I did specify Magnatec but even so I was a bit surprised.

Hmm, interesting. I thought £150 would get you a tad more than just an oil and change of two filters but maybe I was mistaken lol

My village garage did me a full service and MOT on the Mrs's SEAT Mii for around £180 which I thought was pretty reasonable.

5 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The Ford website currently quotes £99 for the convenience check,  I got the check + oil/filter change for that.

Looking at the ford website, it says the convenience check is £99 as you said, but, did they do the oil and filter in tht £99?

15 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

Looking at the ford website, it says the convenience check is £99 as you said, but, did they do the oil and filter in tht £99?

Yes,as I said, the check plus oil and filter change was £99 at my local dealership which is privately owned, not part of a chain. I have been a customer there for over 15 years, so whether everyone would get the same deal, I couldn't say.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DG97 said:

Hmm, interesting. I thought £150 would get you a tad more than just an oil and change of two filters but maybe I was mistaken lol

Yeah I've noticed their prices creeping up over the last few years.  I think it's their hourly rate that bumps everything up.

Happy to use them this time but when it's time for the official 2 year service I'll go to Ford as the price difference appears pretty negliable.

Still better than Audi that tried to have me over for £330 for my A3's 1st service lol

I'd go with that, usually the parts are relatively cheap or at least competitively priced but the hourly rates can really boost the price high. 

That's part of the reason why on my previous car despite being a 53 plate, I was taking it to the dealer as the price difference was marginal but the parts and general level of service was better and therefore worth the tiny bit extra. 

Haha, yeah heard the german premium brands like to charge extortionate amounts even on models that aren't much more complex that whatever else is out there but £330 for a 1st service is madness, it's not an A8 where you'd expect high prices which would be higher than £330 anyway. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DG97 said:

Haha, yeah heard the german premium brands like to charge extortionate amounts even on models that aren't much more complex that whatever else is out there but £330 for a 1st service is madness, it's not an A8 where you'd expect high prices which would be higher than £330 anyway. 

I found Audi service pretty eye-watering, when I got a SEAT they were almost as bad - must be a VW Group thing. Back with Ford myself, and moved the Mrs's little SEAT to the local garage as soon as the warranty was up. My usual Ford dealer has always been pretty good on price and service so we take our Fords there whether in warranty of not.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all.  Been reading this as I've been pondering oil life.

We have a 2018 fiesta on 3 year PCP, hopefully trading in at either 2 years or at the end.

service schedule is 18k or 2 years, we'll likely only do around 13k in 2 years.

oil life though is at 70% after 3.5k which would then be at 0% around 11k if it goes the same.

Will the dealer have expected us to do an oil change when the life is at 0%?

If so I can do a drain and fill myself cheaply and reset the life I guess?

18 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Hi all.  Been reading this as I've been pondering oil life.

We have a 2018 fiesta on 3 year PCP, hopefully trading in at either 2 years or at the end.

Service schedule is 18k or 2 years, we'll likely only do around 13k in 2 years.

Oil life though is at 70% after 3.5k which would then be at 0% around 11k if it goes the same.

Will the dealer have expected us to do an oil change when the life is at 0%?

If so I can do a drain and fill myself cheaply and reset the life I guess?

If you’re trading the car in and it is on pcp, I would stick to the guidelines that Ford wants - the two year 18k. Ford do not appear to state anything about it being a must to replace it if it reaches 0%. If it reaches 0% before 18k in standard driving conditions, questions need to be asked to Ford to why the gaps are so long. But if you do want to replace it, it’s a drain and fill and reset the life as you say. 

Cheers.  Is the reset the same as the Mk7, holding the brake and accelerator?

Just don't want it pinging constantly when it gets to 0%.

I had my oil changed at 12 months but just looked out of interest and oil life is 44%, so I guess they didn't reset it. How does it actually work though - is it really analysing oil condition or just linked to time/mileage? 44% is just about where it should be on a time basis at just under 14 months out of 24 from first registration.

Aye it would be interesting to do a change and see if the life recalculated.

5 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Aye it would be interesting to do a change and see if the life recalculated.

It won't. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club