Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch issue.... please help

Bex888

Hello all... could really do with some help/advise please?  The clutch on my 64 plate eco-boost fiesta went very suddenly a few weeks ago... no signs of any problems, just clunk and it was no longer working.... Car had only done 25k miles... do you think this really would be wear and tear or could there be another issue....having major problems trying to get anybody to speak with me.. (garage, vertu, ford customer services). any advise would be gratefully received... so frustrated!!!

has anyone had a look at all at it?   could it be something simpler like the pedal has come disconnected from the pushrod that connects the pedal to the clutch master (hydraulic) cylinder.   I know this happens on the mk6 / mk6.5 fiestas (2002-2008) . I do not know if the later fiestas have a similar setup.  Possibly not as I know my 2015 fiesta has a plastic clutch pedal whereas my 2007 fiesta had a metal clutch pedal.

I agree it does not seem reasonable for it to fail so soon. if it was a clunk it sounds like a part actually breaking as opposed to it wearing out from bad clutch use.

Thank you for your reply Isetta..... yes, as it had the extended warranty and AA it was taken to the garage we got it from.  By the time we were diagnosed with a wear and tear clutch, we were quoted £845 to fix!  I told them that was way too expensive and I'd take it elsewhere but was told I already had a bill of over £500 for the investigative work so told them to go ahead  (we needed the car back asap for work and weren't offered a courtesy as there were none available) and I wanted the parts to have a second opinion. Wasn't given the parts and after making a complaint (or 2) i got pictures sent of the damaged clutch.  I still don't think it was wear and tear so was told to get in touch with ford directly which i have... and they've not got back to me yet!!  Grrr so frustrating!

If the clutch has worn out after 25k miles I'd be worried about the wear on the rest of the components. For it to wear out that quick it must've been launched at every set of lights!

A worn clutch wouldn't just go clunk and then stop working. It would be slipping long before then. I take it you've already paid them?

6 hours ago, Bex888 said:

Thank you for your reply Isetta..... yes, as it had the extended warranty and AA it was taken to the garage we got it from.  By the time we were diagnosed with a wear and tear clutch, we were quoted £845 to fix!  I told them that was way too expensive and I'd take it elsewhere but was told I already had a bill of over £500 for the investigative work so told them to go ahead  (we needed the car back asap for work and weren't offered a courtesy as there were none available) and I wanted the parts to have a second opinion. Wasn't given the parts and after making a complaint (or 2) i got pictures sent of the damaged clutch.  I still don't think it was wear and tear so was told to get in touch with ford directly which i have... and they've not got back to me yet!!  Grrr so frustrating!

To be honest, whilst possible it has worn out, I would be surprised if it actually has. My guess would edge towards part failure rather than wear and tear but as Luke said, if it is genuinely worn, I’d watch out for wear on other components too. 

£845 to replace a clutch is a lot but I’ve paid around £700-800 before on my previous car for a full clutch kit. 

If they diagnosed it as standard tear and wear but claim that diagnosis incurred a cost of £500 of “investigation costs”, i’d be a little concerned as at around £80 per hour, that’s still around six hours worth of labour which I don’t think would be needed to get a diagnosis for a worn clutch. 

And it’s odd you didn’t get the parts back when you asked for it.

Good luck, hope you get a positive outcome. 

Thank you so much for all your replies, I really appreciate it. Ford have yet again not got back to me but I will keep trying and thanks to your advise will tell them i am now worried about wear and tear on other parts!  Luke, yes I have already agreed to pay them... interest free for 3 months but my first payment goes out tomorrow!  I've been trying to contact them before this but they just have not been replying to my emails...I've now tweeted so hoping someone will get back to me from that! 

If it is just simply wear and tear then fair enough, but as I am querying this,  the fact that they are ignoring me and won't even discuss it makes me want to get answers even more.

I'll update if and when I have any contact.

Thank you again.

Wow, thats a crazy price. Ford quote £489 for a clutch replacement. The investigative work alone reeks of opportunism.

I know it's extortionate!!  I've just had a reply from Ford saying as its wear and tear component they won't do anything... and it's unreasonable to think a part will last lifetime of a car!!

This is NOT what I have complained about.... i complained that 25k miles is unreasonable for a clutch to wear out with no signs beforehand and a clunk before it stopped working!

I've asked that they at least look into it before I contact the motor ombudsman....  i await their reply.......???