Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK2/MK2.5 steering wheels: Are they the same?

rhyds

Pretty simple one, I want to put cruise control on my 2010 MK2.5 Focus 1.8 Petrol. Are MK2 and MK2.5 steering wheels and airbags the same or are there differences? 

4-spoke Focus MK2 and MK2.5 steering wheels and airbags are identical and fully interchangeable.

4-spoke C-max/Kuga steering wheels and airbags however are different from the Focus MK2/MK2.5 steering wheels and airbags. 

• Like 3

Perfect, that's all I needed to know. Let operation cruise control upgrade commence!

Ha good luck 😩

My conversion was a nightmare, nearly bricked my car.

3 hours ago, wilto said:

Ha good luck 😩

My conversion was a nightmare, nearly bricked my car.

What did you have trouble with? Writing the new config back?

I'm not sure how Wilto got in such a mess tbh, I've done several of these over the last 4 years and not come close to bricking any! :laugh:  

I did have one issue where the PCM wouldn't save the new file though.  Tried different leads and laptops etc, never did find a solution so gave up on it.  Have done others successfully again since then so really don't know what happened with that one.  

I'm not sure how Wilto got in such a mess tbh, I've done several of these over the last 4 years and not come close to bricking any! [emoji23]  
I did have one issue where the PCM wouldn't save the new file though.  Tried different leads and laptops etc, never did find a solution so gave up on it.  Have done others successfully again since then so really don't know what happened with that one.  
Do you happen to have a guide to the job at all?

13 hours ago, rhyds said:
23 hours ago, TomsFocus said:
I'm not sure how Wilto got in such a mess tbh, I've done several of these over the last 4 years and not come close to bricking any! emoji23.png  

Do you happen to have a guide to the job at all?

I do...but I can't find it on here...  :unsure:  It's also on a Peugeot forum though, obviously... :rolleyes: :laugh: 

https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=26862&pid=492492#pid492492

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks chief! I'm going to check everything's in place on my 2010 Zetec before obtaining a steering wheel + airbag (don't trust myself to change the cover just in case I ever need it!) 

• Like 1

One last question, the part number stencilled on my GEM/fusebox is 7m5t-14a073-cf . Can anyone confirm if cruise control will work with this GEM?

On 12/2/2018 at 9:58 AM, TomsFocus said:

I do...but I can't find it on here...  :unsure:  It's also on a Peugeot forum though, obviously... :rolleyes: :laugh: 

https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=26862&pid=492492#pid492492

Hi Tom, do you know if you can still get the 4-spoke covers? 

Thanks, I had a look around and found a wheel and airbag on eBay for about £50 delivered all-in. The pain with my local breakers is they can never find the keys for anything making getting steering parts off an absolute pain. I've also ordered a cable so hopefully I can use some leave time over christmas to get the upgrades sorted!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the job was a success! I thought I'd add a few notes here for other members:

First off, when searching for a suitable steering wheel on eBay don't be specific. I found my wheel listed as a  "multi-function" wheel with no mention of cruse control buttons which meant it was a bit cheaper. I also  bought the steering wheel and airbag separately.  

Secondly, I used the guide here to activate cruise using ELMConfig: 

https://www.fordownersclub.com/tutorials/article/322-activating-cruise-control-focus-mk225-elmconfig/

And followed the instruction in this post to do all the work in the latest version of ELMConfig

https://www.fordownersclub.com/tutorials/article/322-activating-cruise-control-focus-mk225-elmconfig/?do=findComment&comment=127

Regarding using ELMConfig, it will take a VERY long time to do the initial read of the ECU (mine took about 90 minutes to read the data and 20 minutes to write it back) so be sure to do the following:

Use an USB Adaptor to do the config, not a bluetooth or Wifi unit (if the connection drops while ELMConfig does its work then your PCM/GEM/HEC will be an expensive brick!)

Set your PC's power options to "always on" and disable any sleep/hibernation/screensaver options, as well as using a power cable on your laptop

I also used a battery charger on the car itself while the work was ongoing, as two hours of sitting there with the ignition on can be hard on a battery.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello, i was looking for information about enabling cruise control way before reading this thread, did get the buttons but never bothered to try it as I had found my part number wasn't one "working", so i'm asking:  What was yours? Is it even real that you need a "compatible" part number?

Thank you in advance and sorry for replying to such an old thread.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club