Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr

jamema

Hi all, is there anyone on here who can give me a answer to weather a 2013 1.6 tdci EGR can be blanked off, I have the egr off the car and have stripped it for inspection, it looks very easy to blank, but am I making a mistake as it's euro 5 and it'll shut something down or put into limp.

Many thanks

Be aware that removing or disabling EGR, DPF or any other emissions equipment (not just those with three-letter acronyms) is now an MOT failure. If it's blocked, clean is while it's off the car.

It's probable that the car will detect the wrong airflow from the MAF- if the EGR is blanked off (or just blocked with soot) the air flow through the intake will be too high and fault codes will be stored.

Usually the DPF relies on the EGR to function properly as well, and it's an expensive part to replace when it all goes wrong.

• Like 1

Ok thanks.

It's just there's a few fiesta's mk7 1.5 1.6 tdci that have done this with no side affects, a small improvement has been gain by blanking of.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:50 AM, jamema said:

Ok thanks.

It's just there's a few fiesta's mk7 1.5 1.6 tdci that have done this with no side affects, a small improvement has been gain by blanking of.

Regardless of if you gain from it, its still an MOT failure.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:31 AM, Wookie Monster said:

Usually the DPF relies on the EGR to function properly as well, and it's an expensive part to replace when it all goes wrong.

Is it?

The DPF relies on high exhaust temperatures to convert soot in to ash. the EGR feed inert gasses in to the cylinder to reduce temperatures during combustion, this in turn reduces NOx emissions.

If you can increase exhaust temperatures then you will increase the temperature of DPF which will help burn the soot. The ECU typically has pre and sometimes post temperature sensors on the DPF as well as pressure sensors, if it Is hotter, the ECU will know its hotter and adjust accordingly.

Perhaps ive missed something but to me it sounds like blanking the EGR will only help the DPF?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Regardless of if you gain from it, its still an MOT failure.

if caught 😉 

Id be impressed if they could or would bother going to the efforts required to find that plate on the 1.6 tdci without dismantling anything.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 8:27 AM, Dee_82 said:

if caught 😉 

Id be impressed if they could or would bother going to the efforts required to find that plate on the 1.6 tdci without dismantling anything.

I've sold my 2010 focus to my wife so she's now the second owner, to the best of my knowledge she only takes it shopping but some days she just gets in the car and doesn't say where shes going atall; rumour has it; The egr blanked then ecu remapped👩‍🔧

All I know for sure is that there's 294,000km on the clock now and it's never given any bother, 🤷‍♂️ its still on factory turbo until next year I'll buy her a hybrid turbo for birthday 

Link: https://nbstyling.co.uk/?s=Hybrid+turbo+&post_type=product 

Maybe polish up the factory turbo and set it on the mantle piece as an ornament because I'm so proud of it, didn't blow at the text book mileage of 100,000 - 120,000 miles due to blocked dpf.

Overall if you have more than your ownership on the log book then if they don't find anything in the MOT it's all good, and if they do then it was possibly the previous owner 🤷‍♂️

"its had what? She's allegedly done what? I know nothing"

That said and all joking aside; this is our first and our last ever Diesel vehicle, I'm currently tied in to restoring the home to a higher standard and when that's finished I'll be aiming for a petrol, I'm all in favour of lower emissions; I've even removed my fireplace at home, 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I've sold my 2010 focus to my wife so she's now the second owner, to the best of my knowledge she only takes it shopping but rumour has it; The dpf was cut open on the factory weld and scooped out like ice-cream then refitted to look factory and the egr blanked then ecu remapped👩‍🔧

All I know for sure is that there's 294,000km on the clock now and it's never given any bother, still on factory turbo until next year I'll buy her a hybrid turbo for birthday 

Link: 

Overall if you have more than your ownership on the log book then if they don't find anything in the MOT it's all good, and if they do then it was possibly the previous owner 🤷‍♂️ 

"its had what? I know nothing"

Not seen you around these parts for ages Lenny, good to see you back.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Not seen you around these parts for ages Lenny, good to see you back.

Thanks Darren mate, 

Good to see your still on here too 👍

Another year almost behind us 😅

• Like 1

Just to clear up any confusion, yes the DPF regen relies on the EGR but not for the reason you're thinking.  Once the DPF gets up to temp, the EGR is then used to limit the amount of oxygen available inside the DPF core.  Too much oxygen could cause the DPF core to catch fire as there's already plenty of heat and fuel (remember the fire triangle lol).  People do blank EGRs without removing the DPF and get away with it but it really isn't recommended.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club