Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlights

CJJ71

Hi Guys.

I have just purchased a 2017 Mondeo ST Line X. Upon inspection I wasn't that impressed with the main headlight brightness compared to my last car a Focus ST3. Can someone tell me if there are brighter bulbs out there and also what is the quickest way to change bulbs on my car? Many Thanks in advance Chris.

It’s pretty much a bumper off job mate. I take it you have the dynamic LEDs? 

Join this group, Mk5 Mondeo UK you will get all the info you need there. Lots and lots about how poor the lights are. One of the guys has just installed a 300W light bar behind the grill. 

11 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

It’s pretty much a bumper off job mate. I take it you have the dynamic LEDs? 

Join this group, Mk5 Mondeo UK you will get all the info you need there. Lots and lots about how poor the lights are. One of the guys has just installed a 300W light bar behind the grill. 

I suspect the op hasn't got the LED headlights, having experienced them myself I can't imagine anyone complaining about their output not being up to the job.

The halogens however, now that's another story.  I've just looked at the Ford web site and it's showing LED headlights are only standard on Vignale with the options for ST-Line and ST-Line Edition.  If that's the case it seems rather "tight" to me considering the ST-Line Edition is only 1 step from top of the line Vignale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys. Many thanks for your responses. Your right Damian they only put halogen bulbs in which personally I think is wrong considering the car is an ST Line X or as its now known Edition. My question is can the car have an LED Headlight upgrade? If so, whats the cost involved? Many Thanks in advance...

• Like 2

While you look into LED it might be worth grabbing THESE while they are on a deal today, would see you through until you decide and find some upgraded LEDs

Hi Jon. Thanks for that I'll have a look at that. Cheers Chris.

• Like 1

Aftermarket LED/HID are going to be a very grey area with all the new MOT changes. Some testers will fail the car, others will fail it and take great pleasure in doing it too. I’m not going to get into the exact legalities of it but it’s going to be hit and miss with them. 

Out of the two I prefer HID over LED, they seem to perform better in the aftermarket fitting. OEM LEDs are better if you spec them from factory but after it rolls off the production line the quality of aftermarket bulbs is inferior. 

To change the whole unit for OEM dynamic LEDs will be very expensive, require coding via Forscan and may require extra wiring if it’s even possible as they should have the sensors on the suspension etc

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Considering the limited brightness of the Halogen bulbs (I think in this day and age they should have put Xenon in as standard - particularly on the ST and Titanium models), what bulbs are people using to get the best light possible?

Also, will a ford dealership replace the bulbs with own sourced items or are you tied to their stock items?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for your responses. I've decided to go down HID Xenon route. I would have loved the Dynamic LED but looking at the cost puts me off. Even if I got the upgrade, who's to say there would be extra wiring needed etc.

On 1/5/2019 at 9:15 PM, Bwlmog said:

Considering the limited brightness of the Halogen bulbs (I think in this day and age they should have put Xenon in as standard - particularly on the ST and Titanium models), what bulbs are people using to get the best light possible?

Also, will a ford dealership replace the bulbs with own sourced items or are you tied to their stock items?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got Ford to put Phillips Xtreme vision bulbs in my Mondeo when it was in having some other work done. They will do it as long as the bulbs are road legal and I need the original packaging with security seal still intact - no doubt the bulbs inside are the correct legal ones then. 

They will charge you for the ‘privilege’ though. It’s a bumper off job so you are looking at the best part of 2hrs labour, maybe £150. Even though many members of the Facebook MK5 page can now remove their own bumpers in less than 15minutes. Apparently it’s a pretty easy job, just a lot of clips. If you are local to any of the members then I’m positive they would assist for the cost of a couple of beer tokens 😉

2 hours ago, CJJ71 said:

Thanks guys for your responses. I've decided to go down HID Xenon route. I would have loved the Dynamic LED but looking at the cost puts me off. Even if I got the upgrade, who's to say there would be extra wiring needed etc.

I’m pretty positive there will be a wiring upgrade required so I think you are making the right choice. I’m positive you have the projector housing so beam scatter shouldn’t be an issue, although levelling may well be. A dealer wouldn’t fit the units for you, it’s a job for the driveway. My advice would be to park about 3m from a wall on a flat surface and mark the flat spot and the ‘kick’ of the halogen beam, change the bulbs and then put the car back in the same spot (chalk mark for the wheels is a good shout) and manually adjust the height of the beam using the screw next to the headlight.

• Like 2