Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 focus titanium clicking sound

forfordsake

How do. I have a 2009 Focus Titanium 1.8

My first diesel car. Not had it long, done 106,000 miles. If not used much it can take a few times turning the key to get it started. It runs well but there's a clicking noise coming from within the engine area, after a few minutes it stops but will come back when changing gears. It sounds a little bit like a diesel engine 'purs' but more of a clicking sound.

Should I be worried or is this just part of the way the turbo takes on the fuel after so many miles?

i'm not a mechanic , i have a 1.6td titanium and had  clicking , it turned out to be the injector sleeves/washers

and cost  about 200  to replace all ,mine was nt related to gear change .

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 1:19 PM, forfordsake said:

How do. I have a 2009 Focus Titanium 1.8

My first diesel car. Not had it long, done 106,000 miles. If not used much it can take a few times turning the key to get it started. It runs well but there's a clicking noise coming from within the engine area, after a few minutes it stops but will come back when changing gears. It sounds a little bit like a diesel engine 'purs' but more of a clicking sound.

Should I be worried or is this just part of the way the turbo takes on the fuel after so many miles?

Modern diesel engines often make a slight "ticking/clicking" noise as standard but if it's really noticeable then it's likely that something isn't quite as it should be, injectors (and the copper washers that seal them) are the usual culprit.  I've got the same 1.8 TDCi engine on an early MK2 (2005) and never noticed a noticeable tick/click.

The 1.8 TDCi engine is pretty much bulletproof although Siemens did supply a shockingly bad batch of injectors to Ford but I think this impacted late 2008 builds.  The 2009 version of the engine also has a lower wet belt rather than chain which isn't a durable but I doubt that will have anything to do with the noise you can hear.  (I've only mentioned the 2 potential weaknesses with the 2009 unit for future reference, mines of 156K miles and still on the original clutch, DMF, turbo, injector and high pressure pump.)

How's the oil level and any idea when the oil, oil filter and fuel filter were last changed?  Common rail diesel engines REALLY don't like a partially clogged fuel filter and on this engine it's only about £7-£8 for a genuine Bosch filter so it's not an expensive job, if it can't be sure that it's been serviced within the last 12 months I'd recommend doing it to look after the engine long term.

ive got a petrol titanium and i hear a clicking in the engine bay when engine shut down not sure what cuases it

16 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

ive got a petrol titanium and i hear a clicking in the engine bay when engine shut down not sure what cuases it

I think the Op has the 1.8 TDCi rather than the 1.8 Duratec (he mentions it's his 1st diesel in the post but his signature suggests it's the petrol).  I guess we'll find out soon enough! :lol:

That said, I've heard older Ford diesels making a sort of ticking noise once the engine was turned off, I'm sure someone on here said it was likely to be the EGR trying to "clean" by actuating back and forth.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 10:53 AM, 1979Damian said:

Modern diesel engines often make a slight "ticking/clicking" noise as standard but if it's really noticeable then it's likely that something isn't quite as it should be, injectors (and the copper washers that seal them) are the usual culprit.  I've got the same 1.8 TDCi engine on an early MK2 (2005) and never noticed a noticeable tick/click.

The 1.8 TDCi engine is pretty much bulletproof although Siemens did supply a shockingly bad batch of injectors to Ford but I think this impacted late 2008 builds.  The 2009 version of the engine also has a lower wet belt rather than chain which isn't a durable but I doubt that will have anything to do with the noise you can hear.  (I've only mentioned the 2 potential weaknesses with the 2009 unit for future reference, mines of 156K miles and still on the original clutch, DMF, turbo, injector and high pressure pump.)

How's the oil level and any idea when the oil, oil filter and fuel filter were last changed?  Common rail diesel engines REALLY don't like a partially clogged fuel filter and on this engine it's only about £7-£8 for a genuine Bosch filter so it's not an expensive job, if it can't be sure that it's been serviced within the last 12 months I'd recommend doing it to look after the engine long term.

Thanks for the information. Are you suggesting the washers are loose and thats what creates the clicking sound?

The clicking comes and goes, rarely within the first mile. How big is this problem, something I should deal with immediately or wait until it starts altering the cars performance?

On 12/6/2018 at 11:44 AM, 1979Damian said:

I think the Op has the 1.8 TDCi rather than the 1.8 Duratec (he mentions it's his 1st diesel in the post but his signature suggests it's the petrol).  I guess we'll find out soon enough! :lol:

That said, I've heard older Ford diesels making a sort of ticking noise once the engine was turned off, I'm sure someone on here said it was likely to be the EGR trying to "clean" by actuating back and forth.

Yes I've heard mine do that after i've got out the car, locked it and walked by the engine. The car just wants to run lol

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club