Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk4 Ecoboost oil pressure problem

Broxibear212

HELP NEEDED!

Hey guys interested to see if anyone else has had this experience with the 1.0ltr Eco boost specifically 125bhp model but any others also interested in hearing about.

So I picked up my brand new Focus st line 1.0 eco boost this morning, decided to go a run to enjoy my first experience of my new car. Done about 80 odd miles and was on the way back home when I got a sudden warning “low oil pressure” phoned ford and they asked me to bring the car back in to the garage. Where tonight it remains under investigation I had only had 5 hours. Now I think that the car probably should of not been driven to them once I got that warning but it was there instructions to drive it too them so I did. I want to stress this is a brand new car with the miles i put on it today has anybody came across this problem before? The garage let slip that it was thoroughly checked oil levels etc before pick up so I’m at loss to understand what’s happened. I drove the car at max of 55mph today to break the engine in so I know it wasn’t put under any stress by me.

look forward to hearing you guys experience or thoughts?B9D5B813-1725-4912-85EF-26C60B2A96D5.thumb.jpeg.023df2dd0376bcc1881b9ab28ae167ca.jpeg

Terribly unlucky.
What was the max rev value you reached and what were the oil levels when you had this message ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Eh the max rev value would be no more than 3500rpm I didn’t have the speed over 55mph ether as I wanted to make sure the engine was given time to be broken in. oil levels as far as I’m aware should of been perfect as it was meant to of been put through a massive checklist before its handed over to me.unfortantely I didn’t get the chance to check the oil levels as it was already getting dark and I was on a motorway. So I’m now left wondering if the technician hasnt really done the checks hence the low oil pressure warning or its some kind of fault or failure of component on a brand new car. I’ve had a look through you tube but all the faults I could find on there are all coolant related and nothing to do with oil.

If there was actually low oil pressure or temporarily no oil pressure the problem may be caused by a defective variable ratio oil pump. Despite being rare I have heard of these problems a few times before. Another possible cause may be a defective oil pressure switch.

However be aware that the Focus MK4 has a different 1.0 ECOboost engine than the older Focus MK3/MK3.5. The 1.0 ECOboost that is installed into the MK4 is a further development of the older 1.0 ECOboost. Many things were changed only to improve fuel economy and emissions. This engine can not be compared with the old 1.0 ECOboost engine.

In my opinion the new 1.0 ECOboost is not an improvement. As a result of all fuel economy and emission related modifications the engine runs less smooth than the old 1.0 ECOboost. It also makes a bit more noise as a result of the timing chain. The older 1.0 ECOboost did have a wetbelt which was considerably more quiet.

• Like 1

Well, I can say that you are not alone!

I picked my Focus Titanium (1.0 125ps) on Friday, drove it less than 20 miles and got exactly the same problem - low oil pressure warning. Straight on the phone to the dealer, who told me they had one that did the same last week, and it was fixed by replacing the oil pressure sensor with one from a different model.

To accompany the oil pressure warning, i also have the engine management/check engine light on, i'm guessing they are related?

Car is going in today, so I'll see what they say, although have already been told that part has been ordered, but it's out of stock!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, andy2086 said:

I picked my Focus Titanium (1.0 125ps) on Friday, drove it less than 20 miles and got exactly the same problem - low oil pressure warning. Straight on the phone to the dealer, who told me they had one that did the same last week, and it was fixed by replacing the oil pressure sensor with one from a different model.

To accompany the oil pressure warning, i also have the engine management/check engine light on, i'm guessing they are related?

Car is going in today, so I'll see what they say, although have already been told that part has been ordered, but it's out of stock!

I’m really sorry to hear you have experienced this problem too Andy I was actually really hoping mine was a one off, and this hadn’t happened to any other mk4s. I’m pretty gutted at the moment as I was loving the car. It’s not the point that’s it’s under warranty and will be fixed it’s that it’s a brand new car and shouldn’t happen. 

The problem you described is exactly what happened to mine I had a warning light too although I think it was an engine oil warning light but to be honest I’m not 100%

We are actually still waiting on ford telling us how long the repair is going to take going to phone back this afternoon once I’ve calmed down a bit! 

@JW1982 Thanks for the additional information I wasn’t actually aware that the engine had changed at all,that’s why I felt quite confident going ahead with the new focus as I felt the engine was tried and tested. Obviously I was aware about the previous coolant problem and that had been ironed out. So quite concerning that at least 3 now new focus had suffered this oil pressure issues so quickly after we have got out cars has ford not tested these engines? Mind blowing to wonder how this wasn’t found out at the testing stage.

6 hours ago, andy2086 said:

Just had confirmation from Ford,I had to chase them of course they didn’t phone me. It is the oil pressure switch which looks to me like Ford is heading for big problems with this new engine like they had with there old Eco boost engine in regards to reliability problems. Not exactly a good look for fords reputation beyond angry at Ford just now. 

My car apparently is going to take the best part of a week to Order in the part in,fit it,and test it🤯

• Sad 1

Also just had confirmation that it’s the oil pressure switch that needs replacing.

Sadly the dealer has no idea when the part will be available.

I think your right in the fact they are heading for big problems with the latest spec of this engine. You’d think that stuff like this should be ironed out well before the cars reach production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Really sorry to read about this, guys - I know from experience how disappointing it is when a new car develops a fault on day one.  I understand the mods to the Ecoboost in the Mk 4 were for economy/emissions reasons as @JW1982mentions, including turning the head round to accommodate gpf. Wonder why they have (presumably) needed to alter the oil pressure switch, unless it's coincidental - maybe they have switched suppliers of that part, for example. 

Whatever, it's very poor publicity for Ford coming so closely on the heels of the coolant issues. Hope they sort you out promptly to your satisfaction.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andy2086 said:

Also just had confirmation that it’s the oil pressure switch that needs replacing.

Sadly the dealer has no idea when the part will be available.

I think your right in the fact they are heading for big problems with the latest spec of this engine. You’d think that stuff like this should be ironed out well before the cars reach production.

I’m am genuinely gob smacked that ford could even take a risk of problem considering the previous engines coolant problems and the reputation damage ford suffered. My ford garage is saying a week, I have to be honest I’m not convinced only because your garage is telling you there is a problem getting the part. My ford dealership hasn’t even admitted this to me yet! 

Forgot to mention I managed to get a hirer car from my garage as the very very least they could do for a car that had suffered a major fault with only 80 miles done.........

it turned up this morning FIAT TIPO!! I’m stuck with this pile of crap for at least a week,I’ve never been so put off driving in my life lol.

Its very concerning And it’s really knocked my confidence in the engine, well keep you updated on my progress or lack there off. Good luck @andy2086

Paul.

• Like 1

I’m beginning to wonder if it as simple as a bad batch of sensors, annoying I know, but these things do happen. I currently have the dealers demonstrator which has the same engine, which is obviously fine. Also interesting that they had one just last week, annoying that the part was in stock then.

My dealer has told me they are going to get Ford to hire me a car, hopefully this will prompt them to speed things up, as it’s going to start costing them money. I have to say that the service from my dealer has been great, sadly it doesn’t seem you are getting the same.

Hopefully all will be sorted quickly and that will be the end of it.

• Like 2

Update from dealer this morning to say that part should be in tomorrow, so with a bit of luck I should have it back by tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andy2086 said:

Update from dealer this morning to say that part should be in tomorrow, so with a bit of luck I should have it back by tomorrow afternoon.

Fantastic news Andy pleased for you. Do you  your if dealership is going to do run tests with the new part fitted? Our garage has said that with the new part fitted the car will be put through some run tests before we get it back. 

Will update once I know more.

• Like 1

I honestly don’t know, I’d like to think that they would at least take it for a decent road test (I.e. not to the end of the road and back).

Guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully yours won’t be too long now as it looks like the part is back in stock

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andy2086 said:

I honestly don’t know, I’d like to think that they would at least take it for a decent road test (I.e. not to the end of the road and back).

Guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully yours won’t be too long now as it looks like the part is back in stock

Just out of interest Guys does everyone Still do  the 1000 mile run in period before opening your car up in a brand new car? Would be interesting to hear opinions as I’ve researched this but it seems to be a matter of opinion as to weather you need to do this in a modern engine nowadays? 

Happy to report that I now have my car back, all seems ok, but I have only driven 2 miles so far. But hopefully that’s it all sort now

• Like 4

5 hours ago, andy2086 said:

Happy to report that I now have my car back, all seems ok, but I have only driven 2 miles so far. But hopefully that’s it all sort now

Hey guys I too have got my car back:-) am pleased to report that I’m confident they have fixed the problem as the have put an extra 60miles on my car I do believe it has been done  thoroughly. 

What I can also say is that I absolutely love the way the car drives and handles! I will admit I had a little try of the sports mode and jeez can it pull for such a small engine. 

Anyway guys hope you all have a good Christmas with your fords take care Paul.

058BE16F-99CC-480A-8288-DCC58823ACF7.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/8/2018 at 4:25 PM, Broxibear212 said:

Hey guys I too have got my car back:-) am pleased to report that I’m confident they have fixed the problem as the have put an extra 60miles on my car I do believe it has been done  thoroughly. 

What I can also say is that I absolutely love the way the car drives and handles! I will admit I had a little try of the sports mode and jeez can it pull for such a small engine. 

Anyway guys hope you all have a good Christmas with your fords take care Paul.

058BE16F-99CC-480A-8288-DCC58823ACF7.jpeg

That's good news mate, incidentally I'm liking those alloys!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1979Damian said:

That's good news mate, incidentally I'm liking those alloys!

Yes, I'm liking the Mk 4 the more I see it, though it does seem quite dependent on the right colour/spec - but then, aren't most cars?😀

Looking forward to seeing what the ST is like!

Anyway, so looking like a batch of faulty switches rather than the mass failure we feared. Still poor quality control somewhere though.

• Like 2

Ello everyone, 

Thought this thread looked relevant enough! 

So after 180 miles my ST Line X (1.0 125ps) has developed the same issue as mentioned (3 x low oil pressure, and then a final engine check light for a misfire) (See attached).

This is my 6th new motor from Ford, 4th one with a 1 litre eco boost, and I’m less than impressed with this one 

Has anyone’s dealer given them a root cause for these issues yet? Or have they just been given a new sensor and sent on their way? 

Mine will be going in tomorrow, so fingers crossed! 

Any advice would be appreciated regardless! 

1EFCB33E-6168-45F0-8BC3-9702C2E1BC0E.jpeg

87FBFC2E-A424-4D40-848C-041AFB87C5A2.png

02B03BDE-CF6A-4E53-874A-CA2E1518AC52.png

Hi Zac,

Sorry to hear you have suffered this problem too.

When I had mine done, there was no explanation from the dealer, just a new switch fitted (after a week of waiting for the part).

Judging by the amount of these engines out there and the number of reported problems, my money is on a bad batch of switches.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

Hi Andy, 

Thanks for the heads up, dreading the nonsense my dealer is going to come out with to explain it!

Sounds like I’m due a week or more of dreary hire cars anyway. 

Excellent.

Hopefully they have a good stock of switches now, had to wait for mine as Ford didn’t have the part in stock and was on back order.

Funnily enough, as soon as the dealer enquired with Ford about paying for a hire car, the part was due in 2 days. Strange how the thought of having to Shell out money can make things move quicker.

With a bit of luck you should only be without the car for a day or two, although I guess this depends on your dealer.

Hahaha, You can say that again! 

A snapped engine mount on a fiesta ST got fixed in no time when the salesman decided to insure a 21 year old me on a demo mustang for a weekend. 

We’ll see anyway, I’ll be sure to update you all for the benefit of others! 

Zac 

• Haha 1

Apologies for taking so long to get back here. 

So the motor was taken in first thing in the morning and returned by 11am!  

service advisor reckons they’ve had 7 with an identical problem, and have all had new oil Pressure Switches installed as a fix. He also mentioned he imagines there will be a recall once ford admit there’s an issue! He couldn’t explain the misfire fault though! 

Anyway, all has been good since, so the fix seems to be a valid move 👍🏻 Other than that, genuinely impressed with the amount of improvement over the mk3/3.5! 

Happy Driving! 

Zac 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club