Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk4 Ecoboost oil pressure problem

Broxibear212

Hi guys. 

Went to pickup my new mk4 1.0 125PS this morning. As soon as I started the engine, "low oil pressure" message appeared, as well as the check engine and oil pressure lights. 

They took it to diagnostics, waited for about an hour and they said that it was probably some minor computer issue.

Once they reseted it it looked fine. Fast forward an hour and maybe 15 kilometers and I get the same message and lights. 

I took it back, and now I have to wait for proper diagnosis and then probably for the oil pressure sensor....

It really feels bad when you buy a new car and something like this happens.

I just hope that it's only the oil pressure switch, and that it will be resolved quickly.

I got a basic naked cheapest fiesta while they fix it, I really don't like driving it.

I was so happy this morning when they called that the car has arrived, and now this.

I will post an update when I get the information.

Hi Marinero,

This is 100% just the oil pressure switch. Hopefully Ford have plenty in stock now so you have the your car back quickly.

I totally agree that it’s not a good feeling, I went from driving a 13 year old car to a brand new focus to avoid issues like this.

I’m currently in the process of taking this up with Ford UK, so will be interesting to see what they come back with.

Hope you get your car back soon, let us know how you get on.

Regards
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I don't think new owners should have to put up with this kind of sh*te from manufacturers. Ford must be perfectly well aware that a whole batch of cars have gone out with defective components. They should have arranged for dealers to change them before delivery and send the dud ones back. It wouldn't have cost them megabucks for a bit of decent customer relations. If this had happened to me I'd have been very tempted to reject the car and demand my money back. It's a very long time since I bought a brand new car and experiences like this don't encourage me to buy one now, especially from Ford.

• Like 2

As suspected, I got a call from my dealer that the oil pressure switch is faulty.

Unfortunately, they don't have it in stock so it will be at least a weak until the new sensor is installed.

I will post again when I get the car back.

Regards,

Damjan

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Marinero said:

As suspected, I got a call from my dealer that the oil pressure switch is faulty.

Unfortunately, they don't have it in stock so it will be at least a weak until the new sensor is installed.

As @mjt says above, very poor considering this already seems to be a well-known issue. With this and the particulate filter issue on another thread, it 's looking as if the revised 1.0 ecoboost is not the engine of choice for the Mk 4!

• Like 1

Well I picked the car from the dealer today, the oil pressure switch is changed. I did about 30km and everything seems to be ok now.

• 3 weeks later...

My son picked up an ST-Line 1.0l 125 PS Focus yesterday, after 90 miles coming down to idle the Low oil Pressure alert was activated and the engine went into Limp Home mode.

Stopped engine , re started and the fault cleared then OK , no noises so as a Ford Gasoline Engine Develpment Engineer for 26 years I guessed it was probably the oil pressure switch/sensor that was the issue. 

It was good to read this thread as it seems to confirm what I suspected, anyway it will be going in to be checked ASAP just to make sure. 

Very frustrating but these parts are supplied to Ford and should be checked by the manufacturers Quality Control systems, let hope they get a bollocking.

Steve_V

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 1:00 PM, Zac Urquhart said:

Apologies for taking so long to get back here. 

So the motor was taken in first thing in the morning and returned by 11am!  

Service advisor reckons they’ve had 7 with an identical problem, and have all had new Oil Pressure Switches installed as a fix. He also mentioned he imagines there will be a recall once ford admit there’s an issue! He couldn’t explain the misfire fault though! 

Anyway, all has been good since, so the fix seems to be a valid move 👍🏻 Other than that, genuinely impressed with the amount of improvement over the mk3/3.5! 

Happy Driving! 

Zac 

Hey guys sorry it’s been a little while updating on here but unfortunately I have a warning for every mk 4 owner. Obviously a while back I reported to you all about the problem with the oil pressure switch which I’m glad to say was sorted fairly quickly by my ford garage, unfortunately not long after the oil switch our focus st line developed what I guess I must describe a major software problem which completely shut down. The car could not be driven,started,moved at all basically as I said this happened about a week after the oil switch issues baring in mind that problem happened after approx four hours of brand new ownership.

So that was the first time it happened and ford dealership took the car via us having to get the RAC to uplift back to them. They had our brand new focus for about 7-10 days in which time they said it just needed a software update  that no error codes were showing and they thought it was just a software glitch nothing more they could really do. So we get the car back at this point Im happy as I actually really love the car nice to drive etc. My wife takes the car to get some shopping about 5 days goes to start it and guess what.....Brake fault malfunction warnings yet again! Car In complete shutdown unable to drive unable to start. At this point I might of blown my top slightly as this was a brand new car now going in for the third time Anyway I’m at pain to say both my dealership and ford have been shockingly useless. They are at this point in time had the car for 38 days in total, so I got the RAC to go out for an independent inspection and report and low and behold the day the RAC at the dealership FORD HAVE A RELASED A WORLD WIDE FAULT NOTIFATION that some Ford Focus mk4 have a serious problem relating to the braking system that’s causing these vehicles to completely shutdown and ford doesn’t have an answer yet as to why and if it’s certain vin batches or models ie ST line they don’t know. 

I would like to say I can’t remember the exact terminology for the ford fault thing only that we had to drag it out of the dealership. I’m completely gutted at this point as I’m a ford fan and actually loved the st line.we won’t be taking that car back from ford that’s already been agreed I’m now have to think due I take another new focus and hope it’s just a batch of bad ones or to go elsewhere. 

The one thing that’s making me think about going elsewhere is that ford actually don’t know what’s causing this or how to fix it. As it stands the ford garage has had the car more than I’ve had it.

Guys just be aware that ford are obviously not advertising this and nether are the dealerships so if your focus starts to display brake malfunction,parking brake malfunction and a whole host of other warnings and you can’t drive the car it might be the same thing as me. Also for ford to of issued a world wide notice it’s obviously more than just my one car this is happening too. 

Paul.

Their image is being seriously tarnished with this new focus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broxibear212 said:

Hey guys sorry it’s been a little while updating on here but unfortunately I have a warning for every mk 4 owner. Obviously a while back I reported to you all about the problem with the oil pressure switch which I’m glad to say was sorted fairly quickly by my ford garage, unfortunately not long after the oil switch our focus st line developed what I guess I must describe a major software problem which completely shut down. The car could not be driven/moved at all basically as I said this happened about a week after the oil switch issues baring in mind that problem happened after approx four hours of brand new ownership.  The brakes are basically locked on and cannot be released at all - what follows is a whole host of warnings parking pilot malfunction, hill assist unavailable, anti- collision unavailable etc. So the car is running but can’t go anywhere!

So that was the first time it happened and ford dealership took the car via us having to get the RAC to uplift back to them. They had our brand new focus for about 7-10 days in which time they said it just needed a software update  that no error codes were showing and they thought it was just a software glitch nothing more they could really do. So we get the car back at this point Im happy as I actually really love the car nice to drive etc. My wife takes the car to get some shopping about 5 days goes to start it and guess what.....Brake fault malfunction warnings yet again! Car In complete shutdown unable to drive. At this point I might of blown my top slightly as this was a brand new car now going in for the third time Anyway I’m at pain to say both my dealership and ford have been shockingly useless. They are at this point in time had the car for 38 days in total, so I got the RAC to go out for an independent inspection and report and low and behold the day the RAC at the dealership FORD HAVE A RELASED A WORLD WIDE FAULT NOTIFATION that some Ford Focus mk4 have a serious problem relating to the braking system that’s causing these vehicles to completely shutdown and ford doesn’t have an answer yet as to why and if it’s certain vin batches or models ie ST line they don’t know. 

I would like to say I can’t remember the exact terminology for the ford fault thing only that we had to drag it out of the dealership. I’m completely gutted at this point as I’m a ford fan and actually loved the st line.we won’t be taking that car back from ford that’s already been agreed I’m now have to think due I take another new focus and hope it’s just a batch of bad ones or to go elsewhere. 

The one thing that’s making me think about going elsewhere is that ford actually don’t know what’s causing this or how to fix it or how long it will be TIL a fix is available. As it stands the ford garage has had the car more than I’ve had it.

Guys just be aware that ford are obviously not advertising this and nether are the dealerships so if your focus starts to display brake malfunction,parking brake malfunction and a whole host of other warnings and you can’t drive the car it might be the same thing as me. Also for ford to of issued a world wide notice it’s obviously more than just my one car this is happening too. 

Paul.

16 hours ago, Broxibear212 said:

The one thing that’s making me think about going elsewhere is that ford actually don’t know what’s causing this or how to fix it. 

This seems to be the worst aspect of this issue, and the problems with gpf and various Sync 3 issues. We know we don't live in an ideal world and problems do arise with what is an increasingly complex piece of machinery, but for Ford not to have a clue as to the causes and how to fix it does seem a bit much.

Surprising that these issues don't seem to get a lot of publicity outside of forums like these - perhaps everyone who has encountered one or other issue could try emailing the likes of Autocar, Auto Express, Honest John etc, as at least one member on the gpf thread has done?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Broxibear212 said:

I've not heard anything yet. Not that world wide yet then. Lol 

• 1 month later...

Snap !! Same oil pressure warning 60 miles from brand new, checked level fine, drove home 30 miles no further problems apart from amber engine icon. Dealer could not check car immediately (appointment in 7 days!!) so I got them to agree to replace the engine if it blows up in the mean time - it won't of course but as a company lease car I'm not worried anyway. Pity because the motor is a superb drive and everything else is fine. 

• Like 1

Hi guys can you tell me if the new fiesta st line 1l eco boost and the focus st line 1.5l diesel have the same problem with the oil pressure switch cheers guys.

Picked up Ford Focus ST and also have the oil pressure warning issue and had to be recovered by the AA. When the warning came in it went into Limp mode and I had to navigate across a lane of traffic. I will be contacting Ford in the morning 

On 2/15/2019 at 9:39 PM, gillyallan said:

Their image is being seriously tarnished with this new focus.

It's a shame considering how superb it is to drive. :wallbash:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys following on from our carry on Ford had our St line from the 29th jan with the fore mentioned problems. Luckily I think the dealership/ford  eventually came to the conclusion that with all the problems I had with the car they would allow me to order a new one and they would take that one back. I had been stuck in a horrendous Vauxhall Astra Sri (rental car) omg has the Sri badge been murdered by Vauxhall but that’s a different story. Anyway got a call last week to say that they had finally managed to fix our old st line. Bearing in mind they had the car from jan till last week but they got there in the end. Apparently all the problems I was having was down to a faulty module😳. Anyway we picked it Thursday last week till our new car came in and it ran absolutely perfect 👌🏻

Im am extremely happy to say I did change it over today for a brand new focus st line x and I’m absolutely over the moon with it. It seems we just had a really unlucky experience in regards to the module going wrong, In regards to the oil pressure switch it seems to be a bad batch I hope I actually ordered this new st line x weeks ago from the factory in Germany in the hope of avoid the problem so will let you know if it happens to the new car. 

7BE5CACD-0588-4498-894E-818211BEAE3C.thumb.jpeg.a18db7f93f061a909482a0669cb8dc18.jpeg62CFA603-7772-4D9C-901F-D6474F57952A.thumb.jpeg.fcf0f9f1f48cafcd8900c84629ba95e3.jpeg

• Like 5

Hi so guessing your car was factory order and not dealer stock?  How long did it take?  I ordered an st line x 11th April and the dealer reckons July.

• 1 year later...
On 12/3/2018 at 9:49 PM, Broxibear212 said:

Eh the max rev value would be no more than 3500rpm I didn’t have the speed over 55mph ether as I wanted to make sure the engine was given time to be broken in. Oil levels as far as I’m aware should of been perfect as it was meant to of been put through a massive checklist before its handed over to me.unfortantely I didn’t get the chance to check the oil levels as it was already getting dark and I was on a motorway. So I’m now left wondering if the technician hasnt really done the checks hence the low oil pressure warning or its some kind of fault or failure of component on a brand new car. I’ve had a look through you tube but all the faults I could find on there are all coolant related and nothing to do with oil.

Mine did the same less than 10 miles on the clock mine had really bad smell to go with it , they said they did a software update , they took the car for a 30 mile test and said it was ok,we hardly use the car now and when we do we both get sore throats and headaches cars now only done 425 miles and now probably going to back it always had a ford but went for a skoda last time which never missed a beat 

My Mk4 is an absolute pain in the *****. This is coming from a Ford guy I’ve got a Mk1 Focus and a Mk7 Fiesta and the Mk4 Focus. The windows on my Mk4 keep going wrong and also the sensor on the front is forever beeping. Also the car seems to rattle most of the time. All I can say is I much prefer my 2003 Mk1 Focus to this new 2019 Mk4 Focus. I’m really disappointed with the Mk4 the build quality just isn’t good enough.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 5:55 PM, Alex Lovelady said:

My Mk4 is an absolute pain in the *****. This is coming from a Ford guy I’ve got a Mk1 Focus and a Mk7 Fiesta and the Mk4 Focus. The windows on my Mk4 keep going wrong and also the sensor on the front is forever beeping. Also the car seems to rattle most of the time. All I can say is I much prefer my 2003 Mk1 Focus to this new 2019 Mk4 Focus. I’m really disappointed with the Mk4 the build quality just isn’t good enough.

Can I just say this was written after my windows decided to go wrong but I found a very easy fix which is to put the windows up and down 4 times I think. Overall I love the Mk4 Focus the writing above was written in frustration and I would thoroughly recommend the Mk4 Focus to anyone.

19 hours ago, Alex Lovelady said:

Can I just say this was written after my windows decided to go wrong but I found a very easy fix which is to put the windows up and down 4 times I think. Overall I love the Mk4 Focus the writing above was written in frustration and I would thoroughly recommend the Mk4 Focus to anyone.

I can fully understand your earlier comments as I also have had problems with the Mk4.

I had a NEW 1999 Mk1 Focus it was a 1.8 Zetec had it for 16 years no problems then had a  NEW 2014 Focus  Zetec S 1.6TDI for 5 years no problems but the Mk4 Focus Vignale 1.0 Ecoboost I purchased in Oct 2019 has been a different story in fact after only 6 weeks I was visiting other brands dealerships looking to trade it even if it meant taking a financial hit as I was that frustrated but once Ford managed to finally fix the software problems it has become an enjoyable experience to own as you are aware the Focus has always been a drivers car.

Just keeping my fingers crossed for the future I usually purchase on 3 year PCP and then buy outright if all is ok but if this one keeps playing up it will be handed back at the end or may even be traded earlier.

NOTE: When I say that Ford fixed the software problems that is not 100% correct as I fixed the problem with the battery discharging myself but it meant no longer having STOP/START which to be honest I am not a fan of anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 5:09 PM, Midgeman said:

I can fully understand your earlier comments as I also have had problems with the Mk4.

I had a NEW 1999 Mk1 Focus it was a 1.8 Zetec had it for 16 years no problems then had a  NEW 2014 Focus  Zetec S 1.6TDI for 5 years no problems but the Mk4 Focus Vignale 1.0 Ecoboost I purchased in Oct 2019 has been a different story in fact after only 6 weeks I was visiting other brands dealerships looking to trade it even if it meant taking a financial hit as I was that frustrated but once Ford managed to finally fix the software problems it has become an enjoyable experience to own as you are aware the Focus has always been a drivers car.

Just keeping my fingers crossed for the future I usually purchase on 3 year PCP and then buy outright if all is ok but if this one keeps playing up it will be handed back at the end or may even be traded earlier.

NOTE: When I say that Ford fixed the software problems that is not 100% correct as I fixed the problem with the Battery discharging myself but it meant no longer having STOP/START which to be honest I am not a fan of anyway.

I’m hoping that these problems are just because it’s an all new model but I’ve never had issues with any of my new Fords after owning 4 C Maxs which never went wrong and an Ecosport which hasn’t gone wrong so far. I had the windows go wrong a few times on the new Focus the first time I took it to a dealer but the second time I went on the forums and managed to find the way to reset them which is to put them up and down four times. I’m similar to you as I tend to keep the cars longer than the three years.