Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF Headache

DF10

Hi Everyone.

I have a 2008 1.6 TDCI. Had a load of DPF issues since buying used 7 months ago.

Initially, had limp mode and engine management early after buying. Dealer changed DPF fluid and it went fine for 2 months. Happened again and called Green flag out. They reset the code, i put some probably 'snake oil' DPF cleaner in the fuel tank and ran it through at high revs. Went away form another few months.

Has returned again, but this time the code deletes, and the engine management light goes off but 'engine malfunction' stays and it wont come out of limp mode. The code is the DPF / Ash accumulation. Any ideas why it will not turn off. I cant get any revs up to try to force a regen.

Has anyone used a flushing service and would you recommend it?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. 

6 hours ago, DF10 said:

Hi Everyone.

I have a 2008 1.6 TDCI. Had a load of DPF issues since buying used 7 months ago.

Initially, had limp mode and engine management early after buying. Dealer changed DPF fluid and it went fine for 2 months. Happened again and called Green flag out. They reset the code, i put some probably 'snake oil' DPF cleaner in the fuel tank and ran it through at high revs. Went away form another few months.

Has returned again, but this time the code deletes, and the engine management light goes off but 'engine malfunction' stays and it wont come out of limp mode. The code is the DPF / Ash accumulation. Any ideas why it will not turn off. I cant get any revs up to try to force a regen.

Has anyone used a flushing service and would you recommend it?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. 

I recently had alot of limp mode/power issues on my 1.6tdci focus, after a few tests it turned out to be the fuel pump, have you checked that? I also needed a sofftware update after the pump was replaced.

mines was showing engine malfunction service now each time, sorry if you have had this checked just thought it was worth mentioning.

11 hours ago, DF10 said:

The code is the DPF / Ash accumulation. Any ideas why it will not turn off. I cant get any revs up to try to force a regen.

If the code is P242F, there is a trick to clear it that has worked, that is to disconnect the MAF plug, start the engine, stop it, read the codes, now with MAF DTCs, clear the DTCs, and apparently the P242F clears with the MAF codes.

But, like a bad penny, it usually comes back. Ash can not be removed by any snake oil or magic flush treatments with the DPF on the car, or by any form of regen. Some of it can be removed by back flushing with water, and this has been known to give short term benefit. But I suspect the problem soon returns. A new DPF seems to be the only long term solution.

Passive regen (just driving at high revs) has little benefit on the 1.6TDCI, the ECU takes active measures to heat the DPF during one of it's active regens, which is much more effective than driving. Unless maybe pulling a caravan up over an Alpine pass, or the equivalent in solid hard work.

Diagnostic systems like Forscan can also initiate a forced regen, done by the ECU while stationary. But this will not clear ash, and probably can not clear soot which has formed in the absence of the Eolys additive fluid.

If a new DPF is not an option, either due to the value & condition of the car, or you have reason to suspect some other fault than ash accumulation, then there is quite a lot of info on this site about DPF problems.

Talking of other faults, the condition of the hoses leading to the DPF DP sensor is always worth checking, they are very prone to leaks & breakage. This can make the DPF seem blocked (to the ECU) when it is not.

The MAF trick is from: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=247

One thread about this is:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club