Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 Fiesta St Line X - Further Issues

Mavroz

2 more Mk8 Fiesta Issues that need sorting by dealer.

A.) Headlights (both) seem very wobbly and loose. There doesn't appear to be any broken brackets or fixings.

This has caused the paint under the nearside headlight, where the rounded point of the headlight touches the bumper to rub away.

B.) The shut line of the bonnet is noticeably wider on one side to the other. The 2 issues are not connected as the dealer has had one attempt at the bonnet and not sorted it.

Car was taken by the dealer to be assessed 2 weeks ago by the approved body shop and returned.

Received email yesterday saying it could take 6 to 8 weeks for Ford to approve the repairs under warranty ??

A quick phone call later and the car will be collected Tuesday next week to have the repairs carried out..... Car will be away 3 days so a courtesy car is being left.

Headlights and mounts will be replaced, paint area stripped and repainted, bonnet will be aligned correctly this time...

Anyone else have wobbly headlights or poor shut lines around the bonnet?

Not looked that closely until just now. 

Well, at least the headlights don''t seem to be loose (yet). Bonnet shut line: passenger side is an even gap front to rear, drivers side narrows noticeably  (but not quite touching) towards the windscreen pillar. Gap between front of bonnet and shut plate seems wide also, can almost get the top of my little finger in there.

I'd better keep an eye on it!

PS - other bodywork issues I had previously noticed and meant to post about, are the poor fit of the ST-Line bodykit, particularly along the rear door sills and large gaps between the fog lights and the surrounds (meant to ask if this was normal).

Hmmm something seems like it comes loose..... The spacing around the bonnet was fine on collection, went out of alignment, dealer attempted a fix with no great success and it appears to have moved further now.

Typically it's pouring down right now but I think I'll have a good look at hinges etc when I get the chance! 

Interesting you guys mention that. I need to take a look at mine a bit more closely but have before noticed a noticeable gap in fog light/bumper area on the passengers side. 

My general opinion of the MK8 Fiesta with mine being the ST Line X is that it’s a fantastic car in terms of driving experience and equipment but it’s very hard to really like it due to various niggles with it. 

I actually find the interior to be on the low side of build quality. It rattles a little bit too much (dealer tried to have a look before but it’s one of those with no obvious fix) and perhaps I should have picked up on it when I tested the car out before I bought it, but the plastics are really low quality especially on the door panels which is a bit of a shame as otherwise, the interior is pretty tidy and to be fair to Ford, Sync 3 is a very good system imo 

Personally I think the advances between my 7.5 and her 8 are very very good.

The mk8 interior is far, far superior to the mk7.5 in my opinion.

The previous MK8 I had before this one had the bonnet gap issue.  The one I have now doesn't. 

I've come from an Audi A3 2016 so I'm noticing the interior materials difference, but then I expected to really.  I bought a Ford 😜

As for the features, not really impressed so far.  Some great ideas in there that don't quite seem to work lol. 

GPS that fails, lane departure that rumbles when it feels like it, collision detection that occasionally freaks out on an open road.  Oh and I do love the way it blasts the stereo when you switch the car on even if you had it muted last time you used it.. 

The B&o stereo isn't really optimised either,  sound is front centralised and needs the best of sources (lossless) to sound great. 

My plan was to keep this year old Titanium for the next 2 years then buy a ST-Line new,  but that's unlikely now. 

I'd avoided the Fiesta due to the prevously hideous interior. Is not a bad car,  just a bit disappointed if I'm honest.

Can't say we have ever had the stereo  (none B&o),the lane assist or collision issues at all.

4 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Can't say we have ever had the stereo  (none B&o),the lane assist or collision issues at all.

Same here. Mind you, my sales guy warned me the lane assist was a pain in the bum so it was switched off when I collected the car😀!

11 hours ago, tef89 said:

I've come from an Audi A3 2016 so I'm noticing the interior materials difference, but then I expected to really.  I bought a Ford 😜

My plan was to keep this year old Titanium for the next 2 years then buy a ST-Line new,  but that's unlikely now. 

Was an Audi fan myself, having had an an A3 and A4 previously. My plan was to keep the Fiesta until the next gen of A1, A3, BMW 1-series, Volvo V40 etc came out and have a look at those. Or if I was really impressed with the Fiesta, possibly consider a full fat ST.

Disappointing to read first reports on the new A1 however which suggest interior quality in particular has taken a dive and little better than the Ibiza which is built in the same SEAT plant in Martorell. Ironic that the Fiesta used to be built in Valencia but mine was built in Cologne - so much for the German engineering on Audi😀

I wasn't blown away by the A3, it was a good solid car though and I did like the interior.  service was rubbish at my local franchise so that out me off keeping it. 

I was really hoping to get an ST-Line this time around but couldn't find the spec I wanted so opted for the Titanium to bide me over till bought a new one like I said. 

Sounds like I don't like the MK8 but I do, just these little niggles as has been mentioned. Hopefully they'll be sorted in 18 months when I look again. 

58 minutes ago, tef89 said:

I wasn't blown away by the A3, it was a good solid car though and I did like the interior.  Service was rubbish at my local franchise so that out me off keeping it. 

My local Audi were fine when I bought mine. They were an independent then though, now part of a big group and poor service to the extent I wonder how they manage to sell any cars these days - promised responses/test drives never materialised so I gave up on them. My last A3 was the previous version and I must admit I was less impressed with the current model.

Sorry to go so far off the original topic btw! Anyway managed a quick look at hinges etc between showers but can't see anything amiss, so guess that's just the way it is.

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

So Anyway managed a quick look at hinges etc between showers but can't see anything amiss, so guess that's just the way it is.

In my searches I'd definitely seen a few with the slightly out of line bonnet ... did worry me at first.

53 minutes ago, tef89 said:

In my searches I'd definitely seen a few with the slightly out of line bonnet ... did worry me at first.

Hmm.... I guess that's sort of good news, then - in a strange kind of way!😀

• Haha 2

Ok, the car came back today.

Paintwork under headlight has been fixed with no apparent issues.

The headlights are no longer wobbly. It looks like they have cut the top headlight brackets, possibly removing a small piece and for lack of a better explanation, plastic welded them back together.... This was done at the body shop. All seem a lot better and a lot tighter.

The bonnet gapping/shut lines were not fixed and not right, to our dismay. 

We once again rang the dealership.

We talked to the usual manager who said he would ring us back. He did and told me he had shown his senior technician the picture we sent him and went on to explain the tech thought it may be the rubber bonnet stops out of line or uneven.

These are adjustable up and down on a fine thread. He told me to have a go at moving one or the other to see if I could fix the problem....

After a couple of minutes of slight winding, opening and closing, the gap is now even all around.

The dealer apologised, telling us it should have all been sorted but wasn't..

Again I cannot fault the dealership for sorting a couple of minor issues.

Anyway....For any other Mk8 owners with slight uneven gapping around the front and front corners of the bonnet, it appears the fix is to do with twiddling with the bonnet stops or winding them up or down by hand until the gap looks good.....

• Like 1

Thanks for the update, glad you got some progress, though surprised at the cut and shut on the brackets. I'll have another good look at my bonnet when I get chance though as I've got a narrowing gap at the offside rear the rubber stop trick might not work. I may just leave well alone provided there remains no actual rubbing!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I pick my ST-Line X up on 5 Jan so will be checking these points. I’m paying for my new car from savings, so I need it to be 100% perfect x

10 hours ago, Jane Belinda Smith said:

Thanks guys. I pick my ST-Line X up on 5 Jan so will be checking these points. I’m paying for my new car from savings, so I need it to be 100% perfect x

They have a few niggles but are very nice cars. Hope you enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...

I love it, although poor health for most of January means I’ve not really had much chance to drive it. My plate is FM59ORT...if you are a WRC fan and follower of the M-Sport team as I am then you’ll appreciate it. Already been offered £5k for the plate. Not for sale!

Pix are of me at M-Sport’s end of season party in December, with Seb Ogier and my hero Malcolm Wilson. Best day of my life. Ever 😍🏁

709F9D85-57E3-4F91-B8A9-CAFE9F5229E2.jpeg

BBF53DF1-386B-4E01-ADBF-27B3C22EE683.jpeg

8E11FEDF-20D7-4223-B159-A4575FC151B2.jpeg

70E28193-2CB1-4AE5-8202-809CA43AFCAD.jpeg

• Like 1

No chance! Seb Ogier had OM59ORT, Teemu recently tested with XM59ORT and Ken Block had a similar one last year. People keep asking me who I got it but I ain’t saying x

• Like 1

My last ST-Line had both headlights replaced under warranty as the brackets on top (under the top cowling) had snapped off.

There is a bracket fixing kit available but as the car was under warranty i wanted new lights which the dealer fitted - they did chip the bumper under the lights when fitting them 😞

I'm picking up another ST-Line this weekend to replace my MK7 golf which has more rattles and creaks then most fords i've had so VAGs aren't that greatly built

8 hours ago, Jane Belinda Smith said:

I love it, although poor health for most of January means I’ve not really had much chance to drive it. My plate is FM59ORT...if you are a WRC fan and follower of the M-Sport team as I am then you’ll appreciate it. Already been offered £5k for the plate. Not for sale!

Pix are of me at M-Sport’s end of season party in December, with Seb Ogier and my hero Malcolm Wilson. Best day of my life. Ever 😍🏁

709F9D85-57E3-4F91-B8A9-CAFE9F5229E2.jpeg

BBF53DF1-386B-4E01-ADBF-27B3C22EE683.jpeg

8E11FEDF-20D7-4223-B159-A4575FC151B2.jpeg

70E28193-2CB1-4AE5-8202-809CA43AFCAD.jpeg

Glad you are enjoying the car and make a speedy recovery to enjoy it more. 

Definitely! Although pneumonia following cancer means I’ve not driven it for a few days ☹️

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gearchange

I've booked an annual check for end of the month and the only mechanical issue I felt I needed to raise was the gearchange. It's sort of ok, but just not as slick as I've come to expect from Ford, and travel seems a bit long. The Mk 7s we had were much slicker in comparison - different box I know. The service advisor said they had had another customer mention the same thing, wondered if anyone else had noticed this?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club