Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta ST-Line 67 Plate (2018) Humming Noise Fuel Pump

pavveluk

Hi guys,

I recently brought myself a used (5000 miles) Fiesta ST-Line 100BHP 67 Plate 2018.

I got it from an official dealer.  I have had quite a few problems with it and had some work done and all seems ok however I have one remaining issue that I don't know is normal or not.

On start up there is a whiring/buzzing noise the seems fast at first then slows down to a hum/buzz from the back left of the car.  This seems to be from the fuel pump so i'm told.  I sat with a service guy in another car of same spec today and it certainly done the same thing, however its the constant buzz that you can hear over the engine on standstill and when driving.  Of course when you are on a driving it dulls out the noise but is very noticeable on stand still with engine running.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal? I'm not too sure im wired in to noises now and picking it up too much but can defiantly hear that over most noises on running on stand still.

Thank you.

I have a 17 plate 140bhp and there is nothing that sounds out of the ordinary or overly loud from the car. Certainly not noticed any kind of buzz.

44 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

I have a 17 plate 140bhp and there is nothing that sounds out of the ordinary or overly loud from the car. Certainly not noticed any kind of buzz.

Is it the new shape fiesta?

This noise is from the back left seat.  I can hear it quite clearly.  I used to have a 2012 fiesta old shape and don't remember that noise.

Thanks.

Sorry, yes we have the old and new shape St Lines (17 plate old shape and 18 plate new shape), both 140bhp. There is no specific whine or buzzing from the fuel pump on either. Nothing loud, excessive or overly noticeable.

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

Sorry, yes we have the old and new shape St Lines (17 plate old shape and 18 plate new shape), both 140bhp. There is no specific whine or buzzing from the fuel pump on either. Nothing loud, excessive or overly noticeable.

Thank you.  Can you hear it at all? is there any noise? Would really help trying to diagnose this.

Thanks again.

The only time I can hear anything like you mention is when the key is turned to ignition before actually starting the engine. You hear a brief whir/hum then it stops after a as second or so. I guess it primes or pressurises the fuel line?

When the engine starts I cannot hear the fuel pump on either model and I do not suffer with hearing problems.😁

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Mavroz said:

The only time I can hear anything like you mention is when the key is turned to ignition before actually starting the engine. You hear a brief whir/hum then it stops after a as second or so. I guess it primes or pressurises the fuel line?

When the engine starts I cannot hear the fuel pump on either model and I do not suffer with hearing problems.😁

Hope this helps.

Thank you, yes I hear the noise on start but the buzz is constant from the fuel pump in the back.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got this replaced and it's still the same noise.  Find it hard to believe it should be like this. Just posted about another problem too, this car is depressing me now.

Is there any way you can get a recording of the noise? I have a 2018 one as well but can't hear anything unusual from the fuel pump.

hi yes I can try and get a recording. I had the fuel pump changed and it’s still the same buzzing/humming noise. When you are sat still in the car it’s pretty noticeable. I just can’t believe that’s the way it is.

can you not hear anything at all? How about if your in drivers seat and put head towards back seats?

thanks. 

The recording would help as you mention you tried a different Fiesta and that had it too so I want to see what it sounds like to see if I can hear it on mine though, no matter how hard I try, I can’t hear anything unusual especially coming from the back. 

That is bizarre. It’s not the worst noise ever but certainly can hear it and especially in with head in the back.

ill try do a recording.

Ok please find the video attached.

Its very hard to recreate it like you are in the car, but if you listen you will hear the spin up  of the fuel pump at 2 secs when the car is started then at 14 seconds it slows down then that noise is the one that resonates round the car sometimes slightly louder than others but always ALL the time.  Does yours make any similar sound to this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0e3ng424fgfmgii/fiesta-st-fual-pump-noise.mov?dl=0

Ok, i’ve had a listen, it’s definitely not what I get in mine and in all honesty, that doesn’t sound 100% healthy to me. 

Mechanically if you have replaced the pump, I’m a bit stuck for ideas but I’d definitely chase the dealer who sold it to you and if they claim a fuel pump that buzzes like that is normal, i’d insist on probably trying to hand the car back to them. 

Did you have the pump replaced on warranty? If so, i’d find it weird they actioned a warranty job of replacing it if they felt it was normal in the first place. 

Hi thanks for the reply. 

No I didn’t pay I have only had it 2 months been in with various problems. I just can my believe this is a normal sound inside the car from a fuel pump? I have never had a sound like that from any car. You can’t hear anything similar in yours then? 

I haven't listened to your noise , can't get it to play on my tablet. 

But the fuel pump noise is fairly normal. Some people hear it some don't . It depends on the person's hearing. Everyone hears noises at certain frequencies differently. 

I can hear every fiesta fuel pump where as someone else at work can't. his hearing is fine, and we all get our hearing tested yearly. 

Thanks for the reply.  I had a fiesta 2012 before this and never heard anything remotely like this and I can honestly say in all the cars I have ever had I have never been expected to consider a humming from inside the car as "normal" as i'm being told by the dealership.  I just can't believe this can be ok?  It's weird.

So you should try to pinpoint the exact thing that is resonating there shouldn't you ? I mean is it the fuel pump making the noise or something near it ? 

21 minutes ago, Jeipii said:

So you should try to pinpoint the exact thing that is resonating there shouldn't you ? I mean is it the fuel pump making the noise or something near it ? 

This is true. I don’t know how to test for that. Wold you say this is not normal for the pump then? Or not a normal sound in general.

The noise is not normal, i’ve never heard  of a fuel pump working loud enough to be heard in the cabin. 

As others have suggested, I think it’s also worth trying to see if it’s something else other than the pump. 

Mine certainly doesn't sound like that.   In fact I can't hear it.

On 12/22/2018 at 2:34 PM, pavveluk said:

This is true. I don’t know how to test for that. Wold you say this is not normal for the pump then? Or not a normal sound in general.

It doesn't sound normal.

Again ours don't sound anything like that and I don't suffer with any hearing problems either.

Hmmm thanks for all the feedback guys. I’m going to see them again next Friday. Any suggestions on what I should say to them about this? How to approach getting this looked at further? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club