Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Focus: boot switch clicks but won't open - any ideas?

nitten_traveller

Evening all,

My beloved 2013 Focus has this evening developed an odd problem - I can't open the boot lid!  It was fine at 1830 when I left work but I've just now tried to open it again and it won't.  Either by the key fob button or by the button on the lid.  There's a light click, as if something is trying to happen, but no louder noise of the opening mechanism.  The other doors lock and unlock OK.  It is the same if the engine is switched on or off.  I recorded a short video of the clicking noise and will upload if anyone would like to hear it.

Any ideas?  The Haynes manual is mostly silent on this.

Cheers.

Chances are the boot release solenoid has failed, common on older Fords but not seen it much on Mk3s so far.  

Edit - Removed the last part, turns out it's not possible to manually unlock the hatch on the Mk3 as the lock is a sealed unit, no separate solenoid now, not sure how you get it open when it fails completely. :unsure: 

The best advice I can offer is leaning on the hatch or giving it a 'tap' where the lock is while trying to open it.

If by "tap" you mean "wallop" then I've tried that!  Plus lots of bouncing up and down.  The interweb proffers a variety of causes from battery not having enough oomph (but the car starts just fine) to blown fuse (checked, it's fine) to loose connection (possibly?) to knackered solenoid (as you suggest) to entirely seized mechanism.  That it's making a click sound suggests to me that it is mechanical and not electrical.  I can't see a way of getting the inside trim off without breaking it.  There is as you say no way of opening it from the inside, at least not that's obvious.

A trip to the dealer it is.

You may be able to remove the tailgate panel from inside the boot after dropping the back seats.  This will allow you to check the plug to the lock, but that's all you can do with it being one solid unit.  I've removed these panels in other cars with the boot closed but not sure if access is there with the mk3.  This video gives you the rough idea anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I've a feeling that access to the handles might be restricted by the boot floor but will take a look later on.

I took my car to the local dealer today to have this fixed.  The lock mechanism has seized completely and needs to be replaced sez the service manager.  Quite how they'll get it off if it's locked in place I am not sure, perhaps I shouldn't ask in case they're about to do unspeakable things with an angle grinder?

• Haha 1

It's not difficult on MK3 , there are markings to driil holes to unbolt the catch, then if you don't want to replace the trim panel, Put  a couple of grommets in the holes after

15447091435151054438743.jpg

• Like 3

Just to round this off, they didn't drill to get the bolts off and free the catch.  So I asked what they did.  Apparently they took the trim off from the inside (remember they had to go in through the back seats) around the catch enough to be able to jam a screwdriver into the lock mechanism and jemmy it open.  Then installed a new catch probably as in the Youtube video.  I'm £150 lighter but at least the boot opens!

• Like 1