Ford2005UK

Mk2 Stuttering Check Engine light Acclerating

I have a mk2 focus and it stutters when it accelerates at low speeds.  Sometimes the check engine light comes on as well but not always.  Occasionally there is quite a loud bang sort of coming from somewhere.   

Had the RAC look at it and it also went in for a full service but it is still happening.  It passed its MOT a few weeks ago.   Initially thought it was water getting in to the spark plugs but im not sure.  The coolant level has not dropped.  I know it needs new windscreen washer jets to stop water getting in.  

Wondering if it is not water in the spark plug wells and actually something to do with the fuel.  No idea.  

6 hours ago, Ford2005UK said:

I have a mk2 focus and it stutters when it accelerates at low speeds.  Sometimes the check engine light comes on as well but not always.  Occasionally there is quite a loud bang sort of coming from somewhere.   

Had the RAC look at it and it also went in for a full service but it is still happening.  It passed its MOT a few weeks ago.   Initially thought it was water getting in to the spark plugs but im not sure.  The coolant level has not dropped.  I know it needs new windscreen washer jets to stop water getting in.  

Wondering if it is not water in the spark plug wells and actually something to do with the fuel.  No idea.  

When you change the washer jets; put some silicone sealant around the jets under the bonnet, common problem only affects the 1.6 petrol engine because of its placement under there.

Guide to Fitting New Ford Mist Type Jets on all Models Click Here 

Thank you all for these answers.

Do you think that the car will need new plugs and leads?

How much should I expect a mechanic to charge for only removing the water and fitting the washer jets (and applying silicone sealant as recommended by Lenny)?

Without seeing a car no one can speculate what a car really needs, with that said water in around the ht leads/spark plugs could reduce the ability of the spark plug to ignite fuel because some of all of the energy will be wasted, resulting in similar symptoms to what you describe.

An hours diagnostic would likely reveal the solution and what needs repaired. Without a bit of time into issues you’ll just end up throwing parts at something in hope of a fix. 

regarding the washer jets, silicone grease is my preferred fix for these providing it’s also got the revised washer jets. This is something you could do at home, removing the water in the top of the cylinder head shouldn’t take you long and may also cure the issue you are having for very little cost. 

22 minutes ago, Ford2005UK said:

Thank you all for these answers.

Do you think that the car will need new plugs and leads?

How much should I expect a mechanic to charge for only removing the water and fitting the washer jets (and applying silicone sealant as recommended by Lenny)?

Mechanics time is around 40 per hour plus parts and VAT 

These tasks are quite simple to do yourself saving you around 100 quid minimum, 

Get a Turkey baister from pound land and extract the water from the engine yourself, Also get silicone in Poundland.

Ideally new spark plugs smear a little engine oil around there threads before inserting to prevent them sticking.

And the guide there shows how to change the washer jets, 

Also new ignition leads would probably increase your mpg but the existing ones will keep going well in to the new year,

Its your choice in what you do mate but I always encourage people to do jobs like these themselves.