Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake pads recommendation

EvoUK

I've had my Mondeo Mk4 2.0 TDCI for several years now and the time has come to renew the front brake pads. What make of pad do you guys use or recommend? A friend of mine says stick with Ford made pads. On my last Ford I used Mintex.

• Like 2

On my Mk3 i used Partco braking kit  but now whatever GSF have. Seems to be fine and same stopping power as any. Passed MOT fine. i do have it serviced by dealer even though it is 2005 reg and they do the brake fluid at the  necessary intervals.

I've not personally used Mintex before but I've seen a few people on here recommend them.

Personally I've given the following pad sets a good hiding :chair: over the years that I've had my MK2 saloon:

* Cheapo chinglish rebadged tat = 2 hard stops in close succession resulted in major brake fade, loads of dust, noisy and basically a bit (lot) sh1te! :shit:

* Motorcraft = Cheap, solid performance, no match for either of the pads below in terms of performance stability when pushed hard and also coated my front wheels with loads of brake dust, still decent though if you can them at a good price.

* EBC Yellowstuff = Incredible performance, performed much better than I expected at low disc temperatures (not easy for a "performance" pad), lasted longer than I expected but VERY expensive compared to some of the other "premium" brands.  If money was no object I'd go for these everytime. 

* Brembo (Current set on the car) = Perform well, are able to do a few hard stops in close succession before starting to fade (I really have to drive like a helmet before I get any noticeable drop in braking performance) and they also don't cover my front wheels with loads of dust like the Motorcraft pads did.

Discwise:

*Factory discs = Lasted 4 years (3 with the previous owner) before starting to warp and get a bit thin, solid performance though.

* Cheapo chinglish rebadged tat = Bent as a 9 bob note after 3 months. :shit: (Just don't)

* Eicher (I didn't know any better at the time and I was skint) = Even after the set had bedded in they seemed to only have the stopping power of a plastic milk bottle top and quickly developed a judder which resulted in me binning them off as soon as I could afford to replace them. :shit:

* Brembo = Only lasted 2 years before one of the fronts started to warp so that was a bit disappointing, prior to this I was very happy with the performance (possibly because they were paired with EBC Yellowstuff pads).

* Bosch (Rears only) = Fitted approximately 12 months ago, so far so good, no complaints other than they start to rust really easily/quickly, especially the centre hub.

* Pagid = (Fronts only) = Fitted approximately 6 months ago, so far so good, good reliable performance when matched with the Brembo pads, seem to be a lot more resistant to rusting than the Bosch discs on the rear and don't generate any unpleasant noises.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2018 at 4:05 PM, EvoUK said:

I've had my Mondeo Mk4 2.0 TDCI for several years now and the time has come to renew the front brake pads. What make of pad do you guys use or recommend? A friend of mine says stick with Ford made pads. On my last Ford I used Mintex.

EBC Green Stuff pads 👍

IMG_20150720_105936_zpsxz31jpsg_edit_1437388840765_zpsfxy4zlqd.thumb.jpg.78f4d1582d2a3533ac09a6f649381499.jpg

IMG_20150720_110222_zpsvb2e3tgi_edit_1437388215518_zpsbhxocjwl.thumb.jpg.5b6996fe607c1639f39eff0f9d060d00.jpg

20151008_172315_zpsihysadya.thumb.jpg.0c3167bb8464ee32b7867f79189bdde8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Motorcraft pads/discs are ok but I used to get brake fade, so I replaced with standard Brembo UV coated discs and pads from a S-Max 2.5T (larger calipers and discs). Seems ok for the last 18 months and no fade now.

Brakes.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Also red that when pushing the caliper pistion back in some say it knackers the abs seals??? Some videos on YT not too grease the slider pins too, true or false? 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, EvoUK said:

Thanks guys. Also red that when pushing the caliper pistion back in some say it knackers the abs seals??? Some videos on YT not too grease the slider pins too, true or false? 

Why would anyone NOT grease the slider pins?

Well the guy who did the video on YT said it depends on which braking system you have, he apparently said its also mentioned in the workshop manual?? 

But yes I too find it strange why you wouldn't grease them 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvoUK said:

But yes I too find it strange why you wouldn't grease them 😊

I've heard of the ABS seals one but I can't ever remember anyone on here (including the much busier Focus forum) ever posting that they'd managed to flip the seals so I really wouldn't worry about that one.

Just push the piston back gently and it will be fine. Think you'd struggle to push it back with massive force by hand anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EvoUK said:

Well the guy who did the video on YT said it depends on which braking system you have, he apparently said its also mentioned in the workshop manual?? 

Was it a Ford video?  On some calipers (BMWs in particular) the slide pins go into a plastic bush so there's no metal on metal contact, these don't need any lubrication, the bush gets replaced when it wears.  I'm not aware of that on any Ford though.

As for flipping seals, it's possible but really not common.  If you want to be over-cautious, just open the bleed nipple as you push the piston back so there's no fluid return.  You'll obviously have to top it up afterwards.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well I finally got round to changing the rear pads. The discs were fine so went for Brembo pads. Put a bit of Ceratec lube on the pins etc, wound the piston back in and all is good. Think the fronts need doing now. Cant' complain as I've had the car nearly 4 years and this is the first brake pad change.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club