Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TPMS/DDS Questions

dom550

I've got a 63-plate Fiesta Titanium, from reading the forums I get the impression  that that age may or may not have TPMS/DDS fitted. There are no options to do with tyre pressure in my radio settings under Vehicle Settings. And while there is a warning light on the dashboard, it never actually lights up when starting the car - I only knew it was there from looking very closely! And it illuminates when I do the LED diagnostic test to make everything on the dash light up.

1) Does this mean my car doesn't have it, and the LED is just present cause the dash lights are standard?

2) Even if it is fitted, how annoying are the warnings? If I want to drive steel wheels for a while, am I just expecting a light on the dash, or does it cause a constant warning noise or anything more annoying? Car manual suggests it would be an "information" message (rather than a warning), so guessing it's probably not too bad, but would be to good to know before going ahead.

Cheers!

Hi Dom,

Just enabled DDS on my 14 plate titanium on Sunday.

Let's just clear up the terminology first - proper TPMS (sometimes referred to as direct TPMS) is the sensors on the valve stems of your car that give you a PSI reading as a pump would. I guess you could fit these but it would require putting the sensor inside the tyre, so will probably need a professional. I've not done this but may do in the future.

The second type is indirect TPMS, and ford call this Deflation Detection System (DDS). This type uses the ABS sensors to determine circumference size and speed of each wheel (smaller, under inflated wheels will turn faster than the others). You have to reset the system and tell it the all of the wheels are correctly inflated.

With regards to enabling it, it was pretty straight forward. Central Configuration > Tire Pressure Monitoring, choose the DDS option.  Then there's another setting in forscan (where you choose which module to configure) to relearn the ABS module values. It may take a couple of ignition cycles and a short drive to get the vehicle setting to reset tyre pressures but it should appear eventually. I've got no DTC's or anything, the TPMS dash light comes on initially with ignition then goes away as normal.

Here's a link to the forscan thread: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4751

• Like 1

Hi there. Thanks for the info, but I actually already knew the difference between the two, and I don't want to enable it 😉  it's really just the two questions at the end of my post which I'm interested in!

Your age of vehicle won't have tpms with sensors so changing to steel wheels is fine. If you have DDS option it will show in the radio display and found in the menu /vehicle option. 

So basically I doubt you have DDS either.  Just swap wheels as you please.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dom,

The dash light should come on when you first turn on the ignition if DDS is enabled. It should then immediately go out again. If it doesn't then it's not enabled. It also won't be in your vehicle settings.

The dash warning light will only come on if the DDS detects a problem. There will also be a message on the radio (like if you start the engine with the door open, it'll give you a message saying which door is open).

If you're swapping wheels then just take the extra minute to get them all correctly inflated and the go into the settings to reset the values? Then you'll have no warnings.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, iantt said:

Your age of vehicle won't have tpms with sensors so changing to steel wheels is fine. If you have DDS option it will show in the radio display and found in the menu /vehicle option. 

So basically I doubt you have DDS either.  Just swap wheels as you please.

7 hours ago, Lebadoo said:

Hi Dom,

The dash light should come on when you first turn on the ignition if DDS is enabled. It should then immediately go out again. If it doesn't then it's not enabled. It also won't be in your vehicle settings.

The dash warning light will only come on if the DDS detects a problem. There will also be a message on the radio (like if you start the engine with the door open, it'll give you a message saying which door is open).

If you're swapping wheels then just take the extra minute to get them all correctly inflated and the go into the settings to reset the values? Then you'll have no warnings.

Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping for (that it's not enabled). Good to have it confirmed before spending the cash on new wheels, just in case 😀

I had some older steel wheels with winter tyres on my 2015 fiesta for a while. As the wheels were older they did not have the pressure transmitters in them so the pressure warning was on all of time.  Each time I started car a warning came up on the radio LCD screen which needed a press on OK button to get rid of it. And the orange light on the dash was on all of the time. No noises/beeps. So it was not that bad, I just got use to it (wouldn't get a MOT with the warning on though)

• Thanks 1

Tpms sensors only started being fitted the later part of 2014 from what I remember. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 8:37 PM, iantt said:

Tpms sensors only started being fitted the later part of 2014 from what I remember. 

Do you know the location of the modules for TMPS/DDS? I'd like to check if mine are just turned off on my Titanium X, or is it just a case of turning it on in the BCMii?

As yours is 2013, then it will be DDS if enabled on your car, check in the radio display under vehicle settings and see if tyre DDS is shown in menu along side traction control etc. If it isn't then it hasn't been enabled. You can enable it using elm 327 adapter and forscan. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

As yours is 2013, then it will be DDS if enabled on your car, check in the radio display under vehicle settings and see if tyre DDS is shown in menu along side traction control etc. If it isn't then it hasn't been enabled. You can enable it using elm 327 adapter and forscan. 

Oh happy days, I'll flick that on tomorrow and reset the ABS module.

Is there any other functions that just require a "flick" whilst I'm in the central config?

Yeah - Global open close on the windows (so you can open/close with remote) and auto locking by speed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lebadoo said:

Yeah - Global open close on the windows (so you can open/close with remote) and auto locking by speed.

Mine had global Windows std

I did the anti hijack and spent at least 30mins trying to find the activation push button procedure 🤣

So it's just DDS left to switch on then.

Now to find out why FORScan reports my battery SOC at 90% but FORScan only sees 11.2v and won't let me access the central config without having an external +14v power supply to the car battery 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi all

I thought id just post my experiences here.

Once youre inside the IPC (Main)....

Select engineering 1 or 2

Scroll down to "Tyre Pressure Monitoring System" open the box on the right and select

"44 - DDS (Deflation Detection System)" and press the tick

TPMS.thumb.jpg.8d01b97297d6be15b521c77a3ad69cb4.jpg

After FORScan has completed this, you'll need to re-init/relearn the ABS Module as shown below on the Config Tab

1028938270_DDSABSRELEARN.thumb.jpg.623f9136565f089cbb23b31a27289dc8.jpg

NOTE:-

My car, after the above changes, did not immediately show "Deflation Detection System"

{my car has a retrofitted MFD5 high colour sony premium with Nav}

I was looking in Menu> Vehicle Settings>

Naturally that made me start trying all of the options for TMPS

*cough* didnt work but succeeded in satisfying my curiosity :-D

The other options did make the setting appear, I decided to retreat and try the DDS setting once more.

This time the setting was present and I was able to make the ACM Learn the values. It must have been a system hang on the first attempt.

I have also changed some values to reflect the equipment the car does actually have.

I changed the speaker system to "4*25w base premium speakers", should this have been "6*25w base premium system" since the car does have the factory fit Sony premium Speakers with tweeters

I changed the trim setting from "Cloth" to "Part Leather"

I don't have any faults for Incompatible config or anything otherwise so I presume the car didn't need to know anyway. 

As a side note does anyone happen to know why the radio TEST mode no longer works after doing the Nav retrofit. Much like the TEST mode on the clocks.......

on the OE fit Sony non Nav 4.3" radio it was accessed by pressing and holding down the "OK" button on the Radio panel whilst switching the IGN from OFF to ON.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 6:47 PM, M6 44t car park attendant said:

I have also changed some values to reflect the equipment the car does actually have.

I changed the speaker system to "4*25w base premium speakers", should this have been "6*25w base premium system" since the car does have the factory fit Sony premium speakers with tweeters

##### 6*25w base premium speakers sounds WAY better!!! #####

As a side note does anyone happen to know why the radio TEST mode no longer works after doing the Nav retrofit. Much like the TEST mode on the clocks.......

on the OE fit Sony non Nav 4.3" radio it was accessed by pressing and holding down the "OK" button on the Radio panel whilst switching the IGN from OFF to ON.

##### this mode isn't supported on the NAV 5" display #####

On 1/2/2019 at 6:47 PM, M6 44t car park attendant said:

Hi all

I thought id just post my experiences here.

Once youre inside the IPC (Main)....

Select engineering 1 or 2

Scroll down to "Tyre Pressure Monitoring System" open the box on the right and select

"44 - DDS (Deflation Detection System)" and press the tick

TPMS.thumb.jpg.8d01b97297d6be15b521c77a3ad69cb4.jpg

After FORScan has completed this, you'll need to re-init/relearn the ABS Module as shown below on the Config Tab

1028938270_DDSABSRELEARN.thumb.jpg.623f9136565f089cbb23b31a27289dc8.jpg

NOTE:-

My car, after the above changes, did not immediately show "Deflation Detection System"

{my car has a retrofitted MFD5 high colour sony premium with Nav}

I was looking in Menu> Vehicle Settings>

Naturally that made me start trying all of the options for TMPS

*cough* didnt work but succeeded in satisfying my curiosity 😄

The other options did make the setting appear, I decided to retreat and try the DDS setting once more.

This time the setting was present and I was able to make the ACM Learn the values. It must have been a system hang on the first attempt.

I changed the speaker system to "4*25w base premium speakers", should this have been "6*25w base premium system" since the car does have the factory fit Sony premium speakers with tweeters

I changed the trim setting from "Cloth" to "Part Leather"

I don't have any faults for Incompatible config or anything otherwise so I presume the car didn't need to know anyway. 

Sometimes I find disconnecting the battery for a minute or so helps. 

Mine still showed TPMS when I turned it off using ForScan, but went away after I disconnected the battery

• Like 1

Yeah I've come to realise that the systems are very buggy......thanks to Microsoft 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🙃

I think you may be right, battery off+system total power loss for 30 mins or so then reboot.....

• 5 years later...

Hello, I’ve tried to run the service procedure to get into central configuration and it couldn’t load the sbl files, do I have to load the files manually and then try again?

thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club