Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight malfunction - MK3 TitX

Kevh17

Hi,

I have a TitX with xenon headlights and cornering lights and tried to change them the halogen H1 bulbs to LED Bulbs. Working fine but I tried to change them, didn't work after I'd changed them but stupidly forgot about the Canbus system so changed them back to the originals. Now they won't work either, just comes up with a headlight malfunction.

Do I need to reset something for them to work again or might something else be wrong with them? I can't see Canbus sort of deactivating the use of those bulbs as it's just there for information.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Kevh17 said:

Hi,

I have a TitX with xenon headlights and cornering lights and tried to change them the halogen H1 bulbs to LED bulbs. Working fine but I tried to change them, didn't work after I'd changed them but stupidly forgot about the Canbus system so changed them back to the originals. Now they won't work either, just comes up with a headlight malfunction.

Do I need to reset something for them to work again or might something else be wrong with them? I can't see Canbus sort of deactivating the use of those bulbs as it's just there for information.

Thanks

You need to get a code reader on the car and pull out the error code it has generated. Sounds like your LEDs have potentially blown the controller board which means a new headlight.

I'll check tonight but how would it have have blown the controller board if there's less current going through it? 

Some codes don't auto clear when the condition that triggered it is resolved, hopefully this is one of those cases where nothing is actually damaged and it's just a case of clearing the DTC(s).

Also: check that the electrical connector on the back of the headlight is secure. If it's even slightly loose then that can cause the error; reseating it might solve the issue without needing to clear the codes.

Cleared the fault codes but still coming up with the same error message. Neither side is working though, don't know if it cuts the power to the side I haven't touched or not, whether it's showing the code due to the bulb or if the control board is dead? 

Bought new H1 bulbs so I'll see if it is just the bulb or not.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:59 PM, Kevh17 said:

I'll check tonight but how would it have have blown the controller board if there's less current going through it? 

That's the problem, CANBUS LEDs have a resistor to fake the load a normal bulb would create this could have shorted or created too much load.

Canbus or non can bus, an LED will not take more current than a normal, bulb so won't blow anything. However a poor connection that moves when power is on, could spike something. First thing to check is if there 13v at the H7 connector, that will tell you if the bulb is the issue or the car. If no voltage you will need a code reader

I have Canbus LED's in my Mk3, no issues, warnings or config changes

Could use Focccus to change car to "Other headlamps" that will turn of the PWM control they use

On 12/19/2018 at 5:26 PM, madmole said:

Canbus or non can bus, an LED will not take more current than a normal, bulb so won't blow anything. However a poor connection that moves when power is on, could spike something. First thing to check is if there 13v at the H7 connector, that will tell you if the bulb is the issue or the car. If no voltage you will need a code reader

I have Canbus LED's in my Mk3, no issues, warnings or config changes

Could use Focccus to change car to "Other headlamps" that will turn of the PWM control they use

Do you have the bi-xenon headlights? They are a bit more complex than the standard halogen ones. Changing to "other headlamps" could cause even more problems than its worth.

I havd fitted bi-xenons running leds to mine to replace the reflectors, the rest is simple electronics. The focus uses pwm by default to control lamps brightmes. “Other” puts it back to standard fixed 12v electrics. Unless your running dimp/dips it wont hurt

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 7:37 AM, Kevh17 said:

Thanks for the replies. Fitted a new bulb on the side that I'd messed about with and it hasn't made any difference. It's also not doing the test where it checks for the levels now. I'll need to get it plugged in again when I'm back home after Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Further update - checked the fuse for the headlight levelling and it was blown. Swapped it for one from the heated seats and put the lights on again. The levelling worked again and the cornering light on the side I hadn't changed worked when I turned right and reversed. Turned the wheel the other way and it didn't seem to light up but then the warning came back. Checked the fuse again and it had blown. 

Hope it's not totally knackered but doesn't sound good unless I can replace something like the control board.

You have a short in the wiring somewhere on the left side, check the connector and wires to it. Check to see if bulbs have blown to a dead short

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey. I got the same problem, It's not the fuses. Did you found out what causes the problem? 

• 1 year later...

i changed my bi xenons back to normal headlights with halogens working better than with bi xenons but still have a malfunction message can i have this code turned off if so by who