Do Not Sell My Personal Information

out of fuel

cooper12000

hi all a bit of an embarrassing one due to not carrying cards or money with  me because I loose things out of my pockets at work I ran out of fuel last night.  I had a quick look for the priming pump but couldn't see it.  is there one or am I safe to stick some petrol in and turn it over till it starts?

many thanks 

coop

• Like 1

If it’s petrol just fill it up, it’ll prime itself and start up.

• Like 2

thanks for the quick replies its petrol so nice and easy I guess

32 minutes ago, G.P said:

Do any of todays modern cars even have a prime pump?

my 2008 avensis did I think but that was a diesel

Some modern petrol engine now have 2 pumps, a low pressure pump and a high pressure pump - for example the ecoboost engines.

The 1.5 ecoboost engine is a pain to start when run dry. 

• Like 1

When you see this pic remember your on quarter a tank and you need to fill up you can miss the annoying noise lol

ford-focus-fuel-level-warning.jpg

that's all very well but I have never found a petrol station that lets you have their wares for free as I didn't have any money or cards on me

3 hours ago, cooper12000 said:

that's all very well but I have never found a petrol station that lets you have their wares for free as I didn't have any money or cards on me

Many petrol stations will let you take £5 - £10 worth under the agreement you will return within so many days to pay. You are normally required to fill several forms and things when you do so.

Also things like Apple Pay and Google Pay come in handy in these instances, assuming you had your phone on you.

I guess I am too honest to deliberately put petrol in the car knowing I cant pay for it.  

as to google pay I completely disagree with it same as contactless payments near field technology has a long way to go before its anywhere near secure enough for banking

the solution is to repair the can bus issue with the instrument cluster then I can get a fairly accurate reading of miles done etc.

Don't you carry a wallet with your cards & licence etc?  I can understand not carrying loose change but not cards.

What if you die in a car crash and they need to find your name?  You can even buy a phone case with card slots as I'm guessing you carry a phone for emergencies?

• Like 1

In your case, it would seem sensible (as I do), to secrete some money in your car for emergencies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Don't you carry a wallet with your cards & licence etc?  I can understand not carrying loose change but not cards.

What if you die in a car crash and they need to find your name?  You can even buy a phone case with card slots as I'm guessing you carry a phone for emergencies?

not when im going to work as I work in food production and anything like that isn't allowed on the floor for obvious reasons and as I am a temp worker I don't have a locker to leave bank cards or phone safe

they could Identify me though the car registration and if the car was so badly damaged that the number plates couldn't be read its unlikely a phone or card would be easily salvageable

2 hours ago, YOG said:

In your case, it would seem sensible (as I do), to secrete some money in your car for emergencies.

that's a good idea

3 minutes ago, cooper12000 said:

not when im going to work as I work in food production and anything like that isn't allowed on the floor for obvious reasons and as I am a temp worker I don't have a locker to leave bank cards or phone safe

Fair enough, that's a bit awkward then.  Think I'd still take them and hide them in the car somewhere personally.  

• 3 weeks later...

This travels round with me in the boot, has done for nearly 4 decades. Every 3/4 months, content goes in tank and shes refiled. The number of folk I have helped, including me over the years, well, it's worth it...

after.JPG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

This travels round with me in the boot, has done for nearly 4 decades. Every 3/4 months, content goes in tank and shes refiled. The number of folk I have helped, including me over the years, well, it's worth it...

after.JPG

that's a smart idea :smile:

but everyone remember - if you have one of those modern fuel caps - well the ones with no cap, you will not be able to open the flap down the hole unless the nozzle is  exact same size as the ones on pumps at the petrol stations - unless you buy the proper size ford funnel to open the flap. 

• Like 1

first thing I got was the proper size ford funnel :smile:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club