Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l ecoboost loss of power problem

humdrum

Hi All, 

Wondering if anyone can give advise on what to look for/test to try and narrow down a loss of power problem.

It's a 1.0l 2013 ecoboost and today it just seems to have a loss of power, i can get to 70 on the motorway, but it struggles to get there. its 'feel' like i am in the wrong gear all the time, it will get to like 2k/3k revs but then nothing, I'm worried it might be the turbo gone, but never really ragged it and pretty much never had it about 4/5k revs in the time i have had it.

I don't get any error codes on the car, what I have also noticed is that I can no longer here the turbo spinning down when i get out of the car as soon as I turn the engine off that's it there was normally what I would presume the turbo spinning down for like 15 seconds or so when i got out the car.

any ideas anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

that sound after engine shutdown is probably the cooling fan which runs for a few seconds after engine shutdown. if it was the turbo. its probably now toast. there could be numerous others causes for the lack of power could be blocked fuel filter, faulty fuel pump carbon buildup or something else entirely. 

20 hours ago, humdrum said:

Hi All, 

Wondering if anyone can give advise on what to look for/test to try and narrow down a loss of power problem.

It's a 1.0l 2013 ecoboost and today it just seems to have a loss of power, i can get to 70 on the motorway, but it struggles to get there. its 'feel' like i am in the wrong gear all the time, it will get to like 2k/3k revs but then nothing, I'm worried it might be the turbo gone, but never really ragged it and pretty much never had it about 4/5k revs in the time i have had it.

I don't get any error codes on the car, what I have also noticed is that I can no longer here the turbo spinning down when i get out of the car as soon as I turn the engine off that's it there was normally what I would presume the turbo spinning down for like 15 seconds or so when i got out the car.

any ideas anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Try 2nd gear to 55 then 3rd gear to 70. If the car can't do that there's definitely an issue.  

• 4 months later...

I am having the same problem with loss of power and acceleration when travelling uphill on the motorway. No warning lights in the car but a definite loss of power. Mechanic changed the vaccuum pack as that appeared to be part of the problem but it didn't make any difference. Has anyone come across this issue? 

check your air filter , could be the high pressure fuel pump also, I have read a number of posts about the high pressure fuel pump failing at relatively high mileage , the fuel pump cam bucket is replaced and the problem is gone , this is commonly accompanied by a relatively noticeable cam tick while on idle, check and see if this helps 🙂 

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I have a 2013 1.0 Ecoboost focus and now and again I lose power it seems to me like the turbo is failing to kick in. I pull over when this happens and switch the engine off then back on and have full power again. A diagnostic test hasn’t picked any fault up. Anybody else had this problem or can help? 

• 4 months later...

If you get those sympoms the engine might have gone into "limp mode" to protect itself. Keep a close watch at the coolant level as it might be the famous coolant leak problem, had it myself.

the post is fairly old , since December 2018 , I hope the original poster is still around to update us on the issue and tell us about his findings 🙂 

• 7 months later...

ive got same issue had full service plugs all that new air filters engine mount as was broke had car 4 weeks 1.0 ecoboost 50k miles new lamda sensors now its trying to cut out all time but unlike you guys I got an engine oil light come up but no codes and its red anybody fix this as I've blown all me money buying it and don't wana loose out 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same issue, my OBDII is seems to indicate the turbo is shutting down. Mechanic advised me to change the "control valve" but that didn't solve the problem. Going in for a second troubleshooting at the mechanic later this week and really don't want to bankrupt myself on this, help wanted! 

• 1 month later...

hi all i had my car in ford for the same issue and they said its the map sensor i hope this helps

On 10/22/2019 at 12:33 PM, BugEyes said:

If you get those sympoms the engine might have gone into "limp mode" to protect itself. Keep a close watch at the coolant level as it might be the famous coolant leak problem, had it myself.

Hi there, my fiesta 1.6 diesel has been going into lymp mode for a long time and I have no idea what to do, spent £100’s or pounds trying to find the problem and not been suggested anything about coolant levels. Could you give me any advice? Many thanks. 

• 1 month later...

I too have the same problem. Sometimes it drives perfect with the normal amount of boost/power then for no reason it seems to loose that power. Around 2 1/2 to 3k revs its just gutless.

Where do i start, seems like there is a lot of people with this issue ?

On the motorway earlier and had that issue  after 20mins for a around 20 seconds, and engine light came on dash, car drove fine for the rest of the journey, engine light is still on, and on the way back it done the same for the same amount of time, 1.6 diesel, I had the erg replaced not to long ago I'll check the codes tomorrow 

• 9 months later...

Hi All, 

I have noticed an unexplainable loss of power myself, I have a 63 plate 1ltr Fiesta Ecoboost. I have no warning lights on my dashboard, I managed to drive it to North Yorkshire and back with the engine being super 'laggy', I'd pull away and normally I could hear the turbo whooshing/spinning, but I haven't had any indication of the turbo working, my coolant and oil levels are fine, so I haven't a clue, and judging by the comments on the above threads it seems no one else can nail the exact problem either, that it seems a lot of people are having. 

I will say that I am doing an oil/filter change, spark plug change and air filter change this weekend, to see if this makes a difference, and will post my findings. 

If anyone does find out what the problem/s may be, I'd be very grateful for any advice, as I'm thinking of just putting into Fords as a last resort, but I reckon this may well be a costly exercise, and to be honest I don't have loads of money that I can throw at the dealerships, hence that is why I'm at the DIY stage on this. 

JB

2 hours ago, Chinadoll said:

Hi All, 

I have noticed an unexplainable loss of power myself, I have a 63 plate 1ltr Fiesta Ecoboost. I have no warning lights on my dashboard, I managed to drive it to North Yorkshire and back with the engine being super 'laggy', I'd pull away and normally I could hear the turbo whooshing/spinning, but I haven't had any indication of the turbo working, my coolant and oil levels are fine, so I haven't a clue, and judging by the comments on the above threads it seems no one else can nail the exact problem either, that it seems a lot of people are having. 

I will say that I am doing an oil/filter change, spark plug change and air filter change this weekend, to see if this makes a difference, and will post my findings. 

If anyone does find out what the problem/s may be, I'd be very grateful for any advice, as I'm thinking of just putting into Fords as a last resort, but I reckon this may well be a costly exercise, and to be honest I don't have loads of money that I can throw at the dealerships, hence that is why I'm at the DIY stage on this. 

JB

if that turbo whooshing got louder than before then this could be a boost leak somewhere , any where from the turbo up to the throttle body ( including the intercooler ) start by checking the boost line from the turbo to the intercooler , and from the intercooler to the throttle body, look for any cracked hose, any lose clamp, check that boost pressure sensor is tightened securely , and check the PCV pipes, there are two pipes, one goes from the valve cover to the boost line, the other goes from the valve cover to the intake manifold.

I would start by doing this if I feel that the woosh became louder and more audible as this is a sign for boost leak.

one more thing , if its a boost leak then its not good to continue driving that way, this could result in turbo over spinning and eventual turbo failure.

Hi, 

I didn't notice the turbo whoosh getting louder, if anything it just stopped suddenly halfway on my journey, that's what I'm finding it difficult to diagnose why this has happened, I will look at the hoses that you have explained anyway 👍

• Like 1

..............Oh and I forgot to sat that my average fuel consumption is currently 51.8mpg

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 1:16 AM, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

if that turbo whooshing got louder than before then this could be a boost leak somewhere , any where from the turbo up to the throttle body ( including the intercooler ) start by checking the boost line from the turbo to the intercooler , and from the intercooler to the throttle body, look for any cracked hose, any lose clamp, check that boost pressure sensor is tightened securely , and check the PCV pipes, there are two pipes, one goes from the valve cover to the boost line, the other goes from the valve cover to the intake manifold.

I would start by doing this if I feel that the woosh became louder and more audible as this is a sign for boost leak.

one more thing , if its a boost leak then its not good to continue driving that way, this could result in turbo over spinning and eventual turbo failure.

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply, no the turbo whoosh didn't get louder, if anything I noticed the loss of power halfway through my journey, and it happened suddenly, that's why I'm at a loss of why this has happened????? 

*UPDATE*

I have done an oil, filter, air filter & plug change, checked all the hoses (all ok, no hissing or cracks), taken it for a road test and still the problem exists, looks like the next step is to take it into Ford, I'm at a loss as to what it is, but I'm sure they'll be able to diagnose it, (I still have 2 kidneys lol), will update on what is found. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 5:33 PM, adamgriffiths39@gmail.com said:

hi all i had my car in ford for the same issue and they said its the map sensor i hope this helps

So what was done and did this rectify the problem?, is your turbo now working? 

7 hours ago, Chinadoll said:

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply, no the turbo whoosh didn't get louder, if anything I noticed the loss of power halfway through my journey, and it happened suddenly, that's why I'm at a loss of why this has happened????? 

*UPDATE*

I have done an oil, filter, air filter & plug change, checked all the hoses (all ok, no hissing or cracks), taken it for a road test and still the problem exists, looks like the next step is to take it into Ford, I'm at a loss as to what it is, but I'm sure they'll be able to diagnose it, (I still have 2 kidneys lol), will update on what is found. 

with this loss of power , did you notice that engine RPM gets higher than normal when you try to accelerate ? if so it could be a failed clutch assembly

28 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

with this loss of power , did you notice that engine RPM gets higher than normal when you try to accelerate ? if so it could be a failed clutch assembly

Hi Ahmad, 

No there is no rise revs, if anything I can't rev over 4000 RPM when I'm in neutral at a standstill, and when driving its the same again, won't let me rev over 4000 just sounds & feels soooo lumpy, I'm hoping that when I take it to Ford, they'll tell me that it's not a blown turbo, because I'll be looking at least around £998 for a reconditioned one, and £1200 for a new one, let alone labour costs😩😩😩😩, an expense I could do without really. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chinadoll said:

Hi Ahmad, 

No there is no rise revs, if anything I can't rev over 4000 RPM when I'm in neutral at a standstill, and when driving its the same again, won't let me rev over 4000 just sounds & feels soooo lumpy, I'm hoping that when I take it to Ford, they'll tell me that it's not a blown turbo, because I'll be looking at least around £998 for a reconditioned one, and £1200 for a new one, let alone labour costs😩😩😩😩, an expense I could do without really. 

blown turbo would cause loss of power , but it won't restrict the revs at 4000 RPM at idle or low load , it could be a problem with the throttle body, stuck flap may be.

you should take it to the dealer and please keep us updated 🙂  

6 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

blown turbo would cause loss of power , but it won't restrict the revs at 4000 RPM at idle or low load , it could be a problem with the throttle body, stuck flap may be.

you should take it to the dealer and please keep us updated 🙂  

I know Ahmad, this problem is doing a total 'mindjob' on me at the moment, as there could be a multitude of solutions, and judging by everyone's comments on 'loss of power' threads there doesn't seem to be one solution😩😩😩😩, but yes I will keep you updated and hopefully help other members who may suffer from the same problem in the future. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club