Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updating the Sync 3 Maps

MisterTJ

Hi, has anyone managed to update their Sync 3 maps? Mine have been stuck on version F6.1, ever since I got the car.

When I go to the Ford website, all it will give me is the Sync 3 system software update. It always gives me the same download, despite me having verified I've already updated to the latest version.

As for the maps update, all it ever says is that I need to update to the latest version of Sync first.

Yes, I updated to F7 a few weeks ago. 

Have you maybe still got the copy of the log file for the verification, might be worth trying to upload that again and see if that lets you do the map download. 

Out of curiosity, how big is the update you are being offered on the site? 

I have tried various times to verify my update (using the same log file), which it says I've successfully updated. But each time I then try to download the updated maps, I am just given the option to down the Sync 3 software again, the same update I have just verified. It's as though my update was never verified.

The Sync 3 download file is around 2.6GB in size.

Do you still have a copy of the downloaded maps?

That's certainly odd, it should state that your software is up to date and no further action is required. then below that message, you should have another box saying Your Maps Need Updating and the update is approx 22GB and you will have a big button that says "Prepare Maps Download", is there anything on your screen that mentions Maps at all? Even if your Sync system was out of date, I would have expected it to give you the option to download the maps anyway. 

Sadly I don't anymore otherwise I'd be happy to send them over to you. I think there are various other sites that will have the F7 map files available to download (but aren't an actual ford site) but I havent ever used them before and cannot vouch for the validity of the files that are available to download but that may be another alternative though I would try and solve the issue with the Ford site in your place. 

Hi I have the same problem.  Sync updated with log file, maps update same file as the sync file.  in the end I got my maps elsewhere and they uploaded just fine.  No change on Ford's website though.

I ended up emailing the FordPass support, who just gave me a response detailing how to update the SYNC 3 software. They commented, that their records showed I still needed to update the SYNC 3 software.

I did try to re-verify the log file I already had, only to find that the online update page now told me that my software was up to date, and could now download the latest maps. Which I then did... Somehow, the act of emailing their support, changed something.

I have now been able to update my maps to version F7.

I still have the downloaded file, for anyone else having trouble updating their maps.

Hi. Can anyone help me? I updated the Sync 3 and downloaded the map files but I can’t copy or unzip them to my usb 32GB stick. It says one of the files (13GB)  is too big for the drive! I can unzip to my computer ok but can’t get them on the USB. 

any Tips on downloading the maps. It says it’s in 2 parts, 30 min then an hour or so. I just left the usb plugged in the rear socket. It detects it then nothing. The sync 3 update had a “downloading” banner at the top. I’ve not been on a long run, just short journeys but the map is still on version F6.1.

Yes, it's in 2 parts and the timings are generally quite accurate. The first part, will take around 30-40 minutes then you will need to complete a key cycle i.e switch the car off, lock the doors, allow the Sync system to shutdown fully then reopen the car and the update should continue, you don't need to take the USB out in between. Unfortunately, once you have the maps on the USB, there isn't really any way to speed the process up. Best piece of advice I can give is to save it until you have a longer journey to do but all in all, I'd expect around an hour and a half worth of installing to take place. 

Once the USB is detected and you see the system banner, you will basically see nothing, the update is running in the background and you can continue using the system as you wish. At the relevant stages, you will have a message come up to let you know that it is done. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again. I assume the hour and a half has to be uninterrupted with the engine running so I need to switch off the start stop. 

Not a problem 🙂 Start stop won't affect the update so you don't need to worry about that. As long as the ignition is on and Sync 3 is powered up, it doesn't matter if the engine is on or not. 

I think if you do switch off the car altogether, i remember seeing somewhere that it would pick up where it left off but I'm not sure how true or efficient that is. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club