Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

How To Eat A Cream/Custard Slice?

TomsFocus

Came across one of the most difficult challenges ever this morning...  

Trying to eat a custard slice...I mean, who even designed these!?  Yeah they look nice in the box, but they're literally impossible to eat!  Can't bite it as the filling shoots out of all sides.  Can't use a fork as the top just slides off at the same time as shooting the filling out so you end up covered in mess and eating the component parts individually...  Are they meant to be some sort of practical joke?  I'm just trying to imagine someone proposing them to Lord Sugar as a business venture...'so yeah, they're kind of like custard tarts or cream horns, but with a lot more mess and indignity'...  *You're fired*

:laugh:  

• Like 1

Lol if it's what I'm thinking I just open the package in half so when I take a bite the stuff comes out the other end which is covered by the packet

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zain611 said:

Lol if it's what I'm thinking I just open the package in half so when I take a bite the stuff comes out the other end which is covered by the packet

Hmm, that's not a bad idea, but there are 2 in a packet so that makes it pretty awkward for the first one!

14 hours ago, TimST2 said:

Turn it on its side then cut it with a knife :smartass:

Now that might be the most effective solution!  Hadn't even considered turning it sideways! :biggrin: 

Face covered in cream from just eating an M&S custard/cream/chocolate choux bun, so glad to see we're now getting round to tackling the really serious issues😀

• Haha 2

On 12/17/2018 at 6:36 PM, zain611 said:

No packet on my custard slices they come from a high street baker, rare i know😀

• Like 1

Still on custard slices, the ones from my baker come with light flacky pastrie and the creme anglais is firm enough to allow you to cut them with a knife, today i had the misfortune to try one of a supermarket brand, i can see why you have trouble with them😀

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 2:20 PM, pragmatix said:

No packet on my custard slices they come from a high street baker, rare i know😀

That's what makes them special. Thinking of it now I think I was thinking of some kellogs idea if this custard tart where they have two pieces of a biscuit with a chocolate custard between. The ones in asda are okay but I hardly have them for me to remember 😂. I also go for their éclairs. 

22 hours ago, pragmatix said:

Still on custard slices, the ones from my baker come with light flacky pastrie and the creme anglais is firm enough to allow you to cut them with a knife, today i had the misfortune to try one of a supermarket brand, i can see why you have trouble with them😀

Which supermarket was it?  This is only the second one I'd bought lol, a cream slice a few weeks ago and then the custard on this week...  I don't buy cream cakes often at all but when I do I tend to go for apple or raspberry cream puffs...the fruit in them feels like it's a healthier alternative. :laugh:  Don't mind the odd éclair or choix bun either.  I only buy them when they've been reduced with a yellow sticker btw. :biggrin: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 12:34 PM, TomsFocus said:

Came across one of the most difficult challenges ever this morning...  

Trying to eat a custard slice...I mean, who even designed these!?  Yeah they look nice in the box, but they're literally impossible to eat!  Can't bite it as the filling shoots out of all sides.  Can't use a fork as the top just slides off at the same time as shooting the filling out so you end up covered in mess and eating the component parts individually...  Are they meant to be some sort of practical joke?  I'm just trying to imagine someone proposing them to Lord Sugar as a business venture...'so yeah, they're kind of like custard tarts or cream horns, but with a lot more mess and indignity'...  *You're fired*

:laugh:  

Jack it up on a plate, then use a knife and fork :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, Albert27 said:

Jack it up on a plate, then use a knife and fork :thumbsup:

This does seem to be the most efficient way to do it, though I used the side of the fork to cut to save dirtying a knife!  :wink:

Pragmatix was right though, depends on the quality of the slice how easy it is to eat as well.  Bought a pack from M&S this week, completely different to the Tesco/Sainsbury's ones!  :biggrin:

Won't be having another for a while though, trying to eat more healthily for this year, nothing sugary for January to start with... 😮

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

This does seem to be the most efficient way to do it, though I used the side of the fork to cut to save dirtying a knife!  :wink:

Pragmatix was right though, depends on the quality of the slice how easy it is to eat as well.  Bought a pack from M&S this week, completely different to the Tesco/Sainsbury's ones!  :biggrin:

Won't be having another for a while though, trying to eat more healthily for this year, nothing sugary for January to start with... 😮

I'm sure you treated yourself to some for the new year 🍬

9 hours ago, zain611 said:

I'm sure you treated yourself to some for the new year 🍬

Yeah, I crammed plenty of sugar between xmas and new year tbf! :laugh:  Diet starts today! :wink: 

Plenty of towels under it and watch it all ooze out the side,towels to catch the custard as i leave nothing 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sometimes you’ve just got to go for it.

LIck the excess from the split then cram it in. Spillage gets caught by the beard for later.

All this talk about cream custard slices I got some today from shopping 😂

1546629497894519865234.jpg

30 minutes ago, zain611 said:

All this talk about cream custard slices I got some today from shopping 😂

1546629497894519865234.jpg

So...which method did you use to eat it? :wink:

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

So...which method did you use to eat it? :wink:

Haven't had one yet. Will just have to see 🤣

Okay so finally tried it even though the expiry date was yesterday. What I did was put the plastic tray underneath to prevent any cream from falling down. Honestly wasn't that bad. 

Greggs sometimes wrap their treats in a thin film of plastic before putting into a paper bag to stop it sticking.

Said piece of plastic is ideal to wrap around the custard slice to keep it's shape 😉and prevent spillage.