Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost 1.6 smoking

Heisenberg

So I had my head gasket done 1500 miles ago, coolant and oil level hasn't moved at all, however I'm smoking like a chimney. I'm expecting it on cold start up however, when up to temp it's still smoking, sat at lights it's like a disco smoke machine and accelerating a big cloud.

White smoke/steam, doesn't seem to smell, coolant level hasn't moved a drop should I be worried?

Probably residual oil/coolant in the exhaust that's still burning off. The cold weather probably isn't helping either.

6 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Probably residual oil/coolant in the exhaust that's still burning off. The cold weather probably isn't helping either.

Even after 1500miles? I would have thought it should have burnt off by now, I’m no mechanic though - far from it in fact lol. How’s many miles would it take for residual fluid to be burnt off?

Do you know exactly where the gasket split?  Ie between the water and cylinder or between the water and oil etc?

As above though, it should've burnt off by now, I blew a turbo oil seal and dumped a couple of litres of oil through the exhaust on a previous car, it'd all burnt off within a couple of days.

If you're sure the water and oil level haven't changed, it's probably nothing to worry about.  Is there any smell to the smoke?

No smell, no coolant or oil loss.

I've been googling, ecoboost run hotter than most if Google is to be believed and a lot of reports of steam being blown out in the cold., However I'm not convinced mine is normal.

Yet another trip to the garage I think.

Whatever happened to ford motors? I had a focus some time back, a 54 I think and it never missed a beat for years, literally nothing but this piece of crap is horrendous, its low milage full dealer history and it breaks if you look at it.

Oh and for good measure been getting the stearing malfunction warning coming on intermittent ly on start up.

I think it's time to cut my losses.

22 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Whatever happened to ford motors? I had a focus some time back, a 54 I think and it never missed a beat for years, literally nothing but this piece of crap is horrendous, its low milage full dealer history and it breaks if you look at it.

Oh and for good measure been getting the stearing malfunction warning coming on intermittent ly on start up.

I think it's time to cut my losses.

I had the same experience with a diesel Mk3 earlier this year, again low mileage and full history, wasn't even 6 years old but full of faults...  Recently bought a 1.0EB Mk3...which was also full of issues. :rolleyes: I don't think I'd take another Mk3 if I was offered it for free tbh, some are fine, there are always the odd bad cars with every model, but with these it seems odd to get a decent one.  I'm hoping the facelift is going to last better but only time will tell.

The steering malfunction warning is often caused by a low battery btw, so that could be an easy fix.

11 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Even after 1500miles? I would have thought it should have burnt off by now, I’m no mechanic though - far from it in fact lol. How’s many miles would it take for residual fluid to be burnt off?

Depends how bad the original leak was and how full the exhaust is with oil/water. Also if it's not been given a really long blast down the motorway it will take ages to burn off. I know someone who had this and even after jetwashing the exhaust still had smoke. It was completely clear once he fitted a new one...

If there's no smell or fluid loss then I'm guessing it has to be residual stuff in the exhaust and cat.

Travel down motorway most days, 30 miles and back.

Checked oil and water again this morning, nothings moved so it's not losing oil or water.

Back b4 it got cold I noticed drips from exhaust, thought it was petrol but didn't smell so assume it was water, terrified head had gone again but not lost any coolant.

Doesn't smoke in startup, just when engines up to temp and it's white, IE steam rather than smoke.

I'm gonna trade it for something oriental.

There is of course a lot of water in petrol anyway which steams rather than smokes depending on the weather. But the classic head gasket issue was a steaming exhaust. Sorry to hear how Ford have changed as my 2005 Mondy 2L petrol soldiers on uses no coolant/oil. But you need to blame the climate changers for this. Manufacturers are being forced to get lower CO2 figure whilst trying to keep cars powerful. It is not how physics works though.

I must recommend KIA as I have one eight years old and one warranty in the seven year period- a brake light switch. It was repaired next day free.

35 minutes ago, oldhenry said:

There is of course a lot of water in petrol anyway which steams rather than smokes depending on the weather. But the classic head gasket issue was a steaming exhaust. Sorry to hear how Ford have changed as my 2005 Mondy 2L petrol soldiers on uses no coolant/oil. But you need to blame the climate changers for this. Manufacturers are being forced to get lower CO2 figure whilst trying to keep cars powerful. It is not how physics works though.

I must recommend KIA as I have one eight years old and one warranty in the seven year period- a brake light switch. It was repaired next day free.

I can't see how it can be head gasket again when coolant level isn't dropping.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldhenry said:

Driving a Kia (excluding the very latest models released this year) is to driving what eating rice cakes is to enjoying your food.  Granted they do seem to be pretty solid on the reliability front but be prepared for a nice "floaty" rear end if you try to have any speedy fun in the corners.

For what it's worth I'd also give a MK3 Focus a swerve if given the choice, a MK3.5 ST TDCi (ST-3) in "ASBO Orange" would be a different matter mind due! :w00t:

When he said Oriental I was thinking a TukTuk…  :laugh: 

If all you want from a car is reliability then a Kia/Hyundai is probably fine.  They even look alright these days.  But they don't have the spec, ride or handling of European stuff.  Jap cars like Honda are better but you do have to pay a premium for them.

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

When he said Oriental I was thinking a TukTuk…  :laugh: 

If all you want from a car is reliability then a Kia/Hyundai is probably fine.  They even look alright these days.  But they don't have the spec, ride or handling of European stuff.  Jap cars like Honda are better but you do have to pay a premium for them.

Might not have the spec but the engines don't melt enmass like the ecoboost.

A Tuk Tuk would be more reliable than an ecoboost, spent years in Tuk Tuks, never seen one break down yet.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Might not have the spec but the engines don't melt enmass like the ecoboost.

A Tuk Tuk would be more reliable than an ecoboost, spent years in Tuk Tuks, never seen one break down yet.

Granted, but Newcastle to Brighton would take 3 years in a tuk tuk! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club