Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing camera Sync 3

jonah406

Hello fellow Focus owners,

I'm looking to retro fit a reversing camera to my 2017 Focus ST-Line (Sync 3)

Has anyone had experience of doing this, and if so, which camera would you recommend, and how easy is it to fit

I realise that the Sync 3 head unit will need to be programmed, but am keen to get camera fitted asap

Thanks for any info provided

I did on sync 3 😛 problem can be activating using foccus 😛

before you buy anything check if you have right  connector for camera if you dont forget about it 🙂 its in the boot right side , open flap and you should see connector ( grey)

• Confused 1

following this as I would like to do the same thing! 

I did it on my Mk5 Mondeo so have no real worries about doing it again, although it was Sync 2 I did it on. 

@mastachaz can you tell me exactly where to look for the plug please? I see you said it is grey, should it have anything connected to it already? The Mondeo had a bright green plug with nothing connected to it and was on the passenger side of the boot behind the carpet trim. I would imagine the wires ford use are a universal colour, so I know which OEM wire goes where when it comes to connecting up an aftermarket camera. 

I’ve not used FOCCUS before, I’m more familiar with Forscan which is what I used to activate the camera in the Mondeo. The whole job cost me £30 and that included buying the modified ELM327 cable. 

If I don’t have the plug already there then there’s no way I will be taking it on so I’m hoping to get lucky there. 

If you have any pictures of the plug and where to find it that would be much appreciated @mastachaz and instructions on how to use FOCCUS to enable the camera would be legendary! 

Thanks again 😁

Curious as to what aftermarket camera was used, have some some wedge cameras, which are drilled into bodywork (not on my car) and some units that replace the current boot catch, keen to use that one

Thanks all

Use a camera like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Trunk-Handle-Rear-View-Camera-Backup-Parking-For-Ford-Focus-2015-2016-2017/163323235001?hash=item2606d2cab9:g:BJUAAOSw~LBbyW-A:rk:6:pf:0

And you will only have the correct plug in the boot if you have oem reverse sensors fitted 

Thank you @mastachaz I will have a look for the plug tomorrow, here's hoping it's there! I don't have sensors.

22 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I had a look tonight, the plug isn’t there ☹️

so no luck mate need aftermarket or take wires from bcm to boot 😄 crazy job

• 2 weeks later...

grey plug

sorry to hijack this thread but I have a 2015 titanium x with the grey plug and I have swapped out sync 2 to sync 3 , installed tailgate wiring loom and oem camera boot handle . ive activated the camera through forscan but all I get is camera unavailable . Am I missing something else, If anyone could shed some light on this?

1 hour ago, fridaycider said:

sorry to hijack this thread but I have a 2015 titanium x with the grey plug and I have swapped out sync 2 to sync 3 , installed tailgate wiring loom and oem camera boot handle . ive activated the camera through forscan but all I get is camera unavailable . Am I missing something else, If anyone could shed some light on this?

On the Mondeo you had to run the service for the camera too, not sure if it is the same.

you will find the service in the tab with the spanner icon (left hand side of the Forscan screen), select the service and then select ‘run’.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fridaycider said:

Yes you need programm SYNC 3 as well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sync 3 is programmed and I'll take a look at the service option thank you for that I'll give it a go the weekend

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well I thought I'd come back and update. I tapped into the reverse light 12 volt feed to the camera and it works perfectly now. Know it's not ideal but in the summer I'll find out where the proper live feed ...

Update here too!

I successfully completed my install today, I had to run the cam wire the length of the car and to the back of the Sync3 unit as I had no plug on the wing.

All working now [emoji16]ae8c413b6bdd1f6f691061eb07eab7c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/15/2019 at 4:45 PM, Jonro2009 said:

Update here too!

I successfully completed my install today, I had to run the cam wire the length of the car and to the back of the Sync3 unit as I had no plug on the wing.

All working now emoji16.pngae8c413b6bdd1f6f691061eb07eab7c4.jpg

On 2/15/2019 at 4:45 PM, Jonro2009 said:

Update here too!

All working now emoji16.pngae8c413b6bdd1f6f691061eb07eab7c4.jpg

Did you program the sync?

Jonro2009 can you send the link where you bought it please.

Tia

Has anyone got a comprehensive guide on how to do this?

Trying to find the grey connector mentioned, don't think it's there so looking to know how to get it done without the connector

Hi

Sorry I've been away from my computer. I had to program the Sync unit using Forscan.

I used a 52pin APIM adapter from amazon as I didn't have the grey plug in my boot

22 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Hi

Sorry I've been away from my computer. I had to program the Sync unit using Forscan.

I used a 52pin APIM adapter from Amazon as I didn't have the grey plug in my boot

What camera did you end up buying in the end??

What camera did you end up buying in the end??

I bought this camera

Car Rover[emoji2400] Universal Car Reversing Backup Camera Parking Assiatance Waterproof https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013AUMV12/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cSoCDbG47DYS0

And this APIM adapter

ZIZON 54 Pin Apim Connector Sync 1 Ford Camera Input Harness Cable with RCA Connector for Camera Extension on SYNC 2 or SYNC 3 for Ford Wiring Harness 14 Inches https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G16KK4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UToCDbSZE9TEB

On 12/17/2018 at 10:30 PM, mastachaz said:

before you buy anything check if you have right  connector for camera if you dont forget about it 🙂 its in the boot right side , open flap and you should see connector ( grey)

Bro tell me something.  I have ford focus 2018/19 MK4. I have reverse sensor but no camera. Wondering if will it be easy to do the job. I want to fit a reverse cam.

Someone told me there maybe an empty slot in the wiring because of reverse sensor.

Can you advise or help.

15678665301797723130898631299705.jpg

52 minutes ago, Khal said:

Bro tell me something.  I have ford focus 2018/19 MK4. I have reverse sensor but no camera. Wondering if will it be easy to do the job. I want to fit a reverse cam.

Someone told me there maybe an empty slot in the wiring because of reverse sensor.

Can you advise or help.

15678665301797723130898631299705.jpg

i dont think there is software to activate it 🙂

2 hours ago, mastachaz said:

i dont think there is software to activate it 🙂

So what do I need. Camera, plug and software.

Right?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club